Wedding Cake Topper Does Not Match Cake

Decorating By crp7 Updated 28 Jun 2005 , 7:22pm by crp7

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:13am
post #1 of 9

I am doing a wedding cake as a gift for a friends reception. The cake will have white buttercream with pale yellow and periwinkle blue flowers(assuming I figure out how to make periwinkle blue).

Today the MOB gave me a topper that friends had given the bride to use on the cake. It is a pretty Lenox topper with an arch over the couple. The problem it is that it is a beige (bone?) color. It is fairly dark and I am wondering how to incorporate it with the white icing. I could put flowers around the base but I not sure the pale yellow would look good either. Is this even something to worry about? This is my first wedding cake.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA
Cindy

8 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:22am
post #2 of 9

I think my first step would be to make absolutely sure the bride has okayed the topper!

Since you are using basic white icing, and planning the yellow and blue flowers, can you just add in a few flowers the color of the beige/bone color? It sounds like the three colors would be compatible, just not let the beige/bone be the main color.

To me the color of periwinkle is a medium blue with just a touch of lavender/orchid to it. I love the color, it should be really pretty with the yellow and white, and the beige won't hurt it either.

Good luck with the cake, we will wait to see some photos! Janice

crp7 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 11:46am
post #3 of 9

Thanks. I am going to try a practice cake this week. I know the bride feels like she needs to use the topper since it was a gift from a friend.

She is getting married in Georgia and had already picked a cake with fresh flowers there before she got this topper. The cake I am doing is for a reception a couple of weeks after the wedding back here in Dallas.

Cindy

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 9

I figured that was what the deal was with the topper! Be sure to post a picture, I'm looking forward to seeing your cake, it sounds pretty!

Cindy, have you heard of a cake supply store called Saleplace?I had a question about it from Threesa in Greenville the other day and finally located it in Balch Springs/Mesquite. Supposedly has very good prices. I'm so far away I haven't been able to go there, just wondered if you know about it.

Also ran across one in Garland, Celebrate Cakes, they evidently carry a lot of wedding cake supplies.

The closest to me is Cake Carousel in Richardson.
Janice

crp7 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 9

I sometimes go to Cake Carousel in Richardson. Lately, I have been going to Cakes Amore in Plano (Central and Spring Creek). Their prices seem fairly standard but they are very helpful.

I am not familiar with the others you mentioned.

Cindy

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

I'd go with some bone colored flowers too, it will help the topper fit in better. good luck on the cake... can't wait to see it!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 9

Or maybe even bone colored shells or fondant pearls or something at the bottom of each tier?

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 9

one thing I have done when the topper was very fragile or not what the bride wanted as in the case of using her mothers.

I one case it went between the layers so it was less likely to get broken. That one was a precious moments and while she liked it she did not want children on top of her cake.

the other time the topper sat on the table next to the cake and was verty lovely, safe , and not on the top

crp7 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 9

Those are great ideas. I am hoping to do a practice cake this weekend so I will probably try different combinations on different layers.

C

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%