Question About Foam Boards

Decorating By NEWTODECORATING Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 11:25am by mcalhoun

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 36

I have read that several of you use white foam boards for your cake boards. Are they the same ones AC Moore has on sale this week? Regular price for 20x30 white foam board is 2.36--sale price is .88. If this is the same I will be heading there...

By the way, Wilton pans are 50% off and mine is having a moon light madness sale on the 10th with 25% off the entire purchase.

35 replies
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 36

bump icon_lol.gif (thanks CC)

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 36

That is the board that I use. My AC Moore is having that sale also!!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 36

I've seen foam board in every craft store I've been in...Walmart even has it in their office supply area. It's basically a piece of foam sandwiched between two pieces of poster board. I've used it and it is great for cakes. I've covered it and I've also left it uncovered. It's great to cut. I've read a lot of books by the "greats" and a lot of them use it too. If you've found a good sale I would buy some and try it out.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 36

We don't have AC Moores in Texas icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif But I do love using foam boards and I wish I could get them for .88 icon_cry.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 36

what are the benefits to using the foam boards as opposed to the regular cardboard cake boards?

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 36

I use foam boards all the time. They are great, cheap too icon_biggrin.gif

You can make them all different sizes!! thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 36

I have never used foam boards before, but it seems to me and im probably wrong, but wouldnt the foam coverings, the posterboard stuff, turn greasy from the frosting?

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 36

88 cents! that's a great price! i got a bunch at Michael's a few weeks back for $1/a piece and i thought that was a bargain. i'm heading to A.C. Moore tomorrow! thanks for the info.

the foam core boards are great! they are so easy to cut. for instance, i am making a hawaiian shirt cake (so its an odd shape) and i need it to be on its own board to then place it on the bigger presentation board. so, after crumb coating the cake i carved around the 'shirt' with an X-acto knife and it cut as smooth as butter! so, i now have a shirt shaped cake board! icon_smile.gif
they are so great! i recommend buying a bunch because you can cut them to all different sizes.

toristreats Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

what are the benefits to using the foam boards as opposed to the regular cardboard cake boards?

They are usually thicker and sturdier.

toristreats Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I have never used foam boards before, but it seems to me and im probably wrong, but wouldnt the foam coverings, the posterboard stuff, turn greasy from the frosting?

Yes, but you can cover the board just like you would a cake board.

ljdaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdaa Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 36

I like cake boards also, they work for the larger cake and the smoothness on them, make it easier to wipe off accidental icing. Also, the last time I bought some was from AC Moore and the very next week the .88 cent sale, yuk!. I have not seen the newest flyer for Maryland stores. All they all the same across the state or it the sale prices for particular stores? Thanks

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 36

I love foam boards too! I use them all the time. They are actually not that difficult to cut into different shapes either. I went to Michaels and they actually had them in different colors. Yellow looked great for a SpongeBob cake I did. I don't know if they have them in all colors all of the time. I have only seen them there recently.

TheCakerator Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:37pm
post #14 of 36

oh duh! I wasnt thinking that you could wrap them icon_redface.gif must of had me thinkin' cap off!

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 36

TheCakerator... our names are almost exactly the same. icon_smile.gif

You were here long before me so I will change mine if you'd like. Here I was thinking I was original with my name. LOL

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:49pm
post #16 of 36

The best cake board you can get. So sturdy and versatile. I wouldn't want to use anything else.

TheCakerator Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:53pm
post #17 of 36

no no no .. no sense in changing your name icon_biggrin.gif my hubby actually picked out my name I dont have ANY creativity!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 36

Please make sure you put your cakes on food-safe boards! Foam boards are officially for art and making models (not food). They are polystyrene coated with either paper or PVC, depending on the manufacturer (some are paper coated with plastic). Please coat them with food-safe paper or foil. NOT contact paper; it is vinyl.

Please don't put foods on PVC (vinyl)!

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/polyvinyl-chloride/the-poison-plastic

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 10:13pm
post #19 of 36

I recently used a foam board that I bought at Michael's and just covered it with a poster board that matched the cakes I made. I liked it much better than the cake boards. You can get different thickness sizes in the foam boards. They are much more sturdy and if you can get them on sale.....they are much cheaper than the cake boards. I came across the foam boards while browsing in the store. I am definitley going to be using the foam boards for my cakes now.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 10:59pm
post #20 of 36

Thanks everyone for the response. At .88 cents a piece I think I will try them out.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 11:08pm
post #21 of 36

The foamcore boards are great but the price isn't great here at Michael's in Canada.Last time I needed one for a project it was $4.99 ouch!! I'll stick to the boards hubby gets me from work. No charge and heavy and thick!!

kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:15am
post #22 of 36

I was actually going to come here and post this. I got a bunch today. I love using them, for really heavy cakes I use MDF, but for everything else I use this stuff!
Kelly

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:29am
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Please make sure you put your cakes on food-safe boards! Foam boards are officially for art and making models (not food). They are polystyrene coated with either paper or PVC, depending on the manufacturer (some are paper coated with plastic). Please coat them with food-safe paper or foil. NOT contact paper; it is vinyl.

Please don't put foods on PVC (vinyl)!

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/polyvinyl-chloride/the-poison-plastic

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

I can only speak for myself, but I always have the cake on a cake circle before placing it on the presentation board. Does anyone put the cake directly on the serving plate?

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 11:28am
post #24 of 36

I don't put my cakes directly on a serving plate and I doubt anyone else does either. If you are putting the cake directly on the foam board you must first cover the foam board with parchment paper or some other food safe material.

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 11:40am
post #25 of 36

I am in the process of putting my first cakes on foam board and I think it's great. Much sturdier than cardboard so I don't have to worry about "cracks" in the bc. Yeah! thumbs_up.gif I do believe I am hooked.

toristreats Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:16pm
post #26 of 36

I' ve put my cake directly onto the foam board, but that was just a show piece. I try to make my boards food safe.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:23pm
post #27 of 36

Ok since I have never used foam boards before let me get this straight. I should put my cake on a cake board then onto the foam board. My question is What so you put between the two boards to keep the top cake board from sliding all over the place? icon_confused.gif

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #28 of 36

icon_surprised.gif I just did my first decorated cake last weekend and used a foam board, I did covered it with contact paper but didn't used parchment paper or anything under the cake icon_redface.gif Thankfully nobody was intoxicated... no one that I know of icon_confused.gif

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind next time!! icon_wink.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:51pm
post #29 of 36

Great information on the foam boards. I'm rather new to decorating cakes so this information is definitely helpful to me. thumbs_up.gif

Also, I will be hitting my AC Moore this evening for the foam boards and pans. Thanks for the tip!!! I hadn't reviewed my sales paper. Don't forget your 40% off coupons!!!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Ok since I have never used foam boards before let me get this straight. I should put my cake on a cake board then onto the foam board. My question is What so you put between the two boards to keep the top cake board from sliding all over the place? icon_confused.gif

a dollap of royal icing works well.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%