I Need Some Help With Pricing Charcter Cakes.

Business By nesha Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 9:40pm by LittleBigMomma

nesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesha Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 31

Hi everyone,
I make character cakes, sometimes its by itself and other times I place it on top of a 11x13 in cake. I charge $25.00 and I want to know am I undercharging because it's so time consuming with all the decorations, let me know what you all think. Thanks

30 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 31

my understanding is that you can't legally sell character cakes!! Licensing and copyright issues...........are you talking about the character cakes like the pans from wilton where you pipe the stars on them??? They are time consuming and make my hands cramp ugh......I think I would charge at least 35-40 for the character cake (if you were allowed to sell them LOL) and if it's on top of a half sheet cake......you're talking at least 70-80 that's a lot of cake!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 31

Hi Nesha,

KHalstead is right on..I charge $35.00 for the character cake alone..if I am putting it on top of an 11x15 it is $80.00

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 31

I think you could get away with $45.00. NOT EVERYONE OFFERS THOSE. icon_wink.gif

nesha Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 31

Thanks, what I'm talking about is buying the charater cake pans and then decorating them with the stars. I appreciate it.

deborah_amos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deborah_amos Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 31

I charge $40 for the character pans. If I'm stacking it on a sheet cake I only charge $15 more because there's not much decorating to do on that one.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 31

The character pans aren't legal to sell, as far as I know. Copyright infringement, etc, so I'd be cautious.

You don't want the Disney or Nickelodeon police after you. icon_wink.gif

deborah_amos Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 31

OOPS! Did I imply that I'm selling character cakes? I'm sure I meant to say that's what I would sell them for if I did sell them! LOL!

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 31

hi there, quick question....if i were to do a disney character out of fondant and set that atop of a cake, would i be able to charge for it or is that illegal?

deborah_amos Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 31

Yes, that is also illegal.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesha

Thanks, what I'm talking about is buying the charater cake pans and then decorating them with the stars. I appreciate it.

Why buy the character pans? They are a real pain to decorate. Why don't you make your own designs and sell them. You can get lots of inspiration from this site.

nesha Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 31

Where are these designs on this site, and how would transfre them to the cakes? icon_surprised.gif

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 31

I've already asked this in a separate thread and didn't get much of a response. How is everyone selling them (including bakeries and legal bakers) if they're illegal?

Just to clarify, I'm assuming there is some way around this b/c way too many ppl are doing it.

cupcake55 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 31

I think the ones who are selling the character cakes are just taking a chance that they won't get caught. Most are small time and harder to track down. I think the ones who are prosecuted were probably turned in. I have heard lots of stories of this but don't know anyone personally.
Why take the chance? I only do characters for family and close friends. Everyone else is happy with my designs. You can search this site for ideas(in the cake gallery). You can transfer the designs in lots of ways. You can use piping gel, edible ink and frozen buttercream transfers or a projector.

You can sell the characters if you pay the copyright fees. You can buy the kits that these companies sell, also. That is how the bakeries do it legally. It is only illegal when you don't buy the kit or pay the copyright fees to use the design.

krysoco Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 31

Can you plz elaborate about making my own designs? You're using a character or logo? Just not the pan itself?? I'm confused. You can use the character or logo but not the pan?

krysoco Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 31

Some of the places I'm thinking of are widely known (like Wal-Mart or Winn-Dixie). That I know they aren't just taking that chance.

For example, IF I brought in a napkin to (let's say) Winn-Dixie w/a character on it. And I told them that I wanted a cake with such and such on it. They'd do it.

cupcake55 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 31

You can't use the character or the logo without paying the fees. You can design your own cakes of other than copyrighted characters.

If you use a napkin with a design to be copied, as long as it is not copyrighted, it can be done. If you are asking for a character, such as Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Poo, they would have to have a letter of permission on file from the owner of the copyright in order to legally copy the character.

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 31

There are lots of colouring book pict out there, would using one of those pict be illegal?

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 31

OR....

you could say that you only charge for ingredients and labor and NOT the design!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:56pm
post #20 of 31

I read a thread that even not charging for the decorations is still an infringment. They own the image.

But what I did read was that as long as you don't use the name ie Winnie the Pooh becames bear cake, you are ok.

Stephanie

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:58pm
post #21 of 31

If you reproduce a copyrighted design and place it on anything that you are making for profit, it's still illegal.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to make an edible Jack Skellington figure for a cake without having Tim Burton chase me down. thumbsdown.gif

krysoco Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:31pm
post #22 of 31

So coloring sheets are out of the question right? Anything with a charactor or logo will be copyrighted right?

nesha Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:46pm
post #23 of 31

O.K. guys, so that there is no confusion I am talking about buying character or shaped cake pans like: elmo, dora, football, soccor, basketball, mickey, minnie etc. things like that. I'm not talking about doing anything illegal. Talk to you all later.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:09pm
post #24 of 31

Nesha, don't get upset....you can go to wilton.com and they explain this on their website. You can not make a cake in a character pan (mickey, dora, winnie, spiderman ect), decorate it and sell it for profit unless you buy the license to do so (like HEB, Walmart, ect). It is against copyright laws. Ridiciulous? Yes. But that's just the way it is.

cakeladywalker Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:00pm
post #25 of 31

I buy the pans & make other cakes with them!!! icon_wink.gif

krysoco Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladywalker

What do you mean?

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:23pm
post #27 of 31

I dont meant to add fuel to the fire, but who would one contact at Disney to report a copyright violation? Is there a department that handles such a thing?

cakeladywalker Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:54pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

Quote:

What do you mean?

For Example, DALMATION PAN.............Turned it into a High Heel that matched a napkin. You probally have seen the High Heel, It was the leopard print in pink & purple.
I've done this with a few of the pans. thumbs_up.gif

krysoco Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 2:18pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

Quote:

What do you mean?

For Example, DALMATION PAN.............Turned it into a High Heel that matched a napkin. You probally have seen the High Heel, It was the leopard print in pink & purple.
I've done this with a few of the pans. thumbs_up.gif

Gosh, no, I haven't seen them. But would love to. Is there a link to it? I'm very curious to know about this. TIA.

cakeladywalker Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 2:27pm
post #30 of 31

Well there's not a link or anything. It's just something I did on my own. I'll try and scan MY pic of the shoe an post it. I took pic with reg camera so I don't know how to add it to PHOTO'S. When my son comes home today I'll ask him if it's possilbe to download.

This is what I do Client calls wants CAKE ....GOLD FISH SHAPE, So I look at my pans & see what ones looks closest to a FISH. VOILA.............. It's BARBIE pan turned sideways! I hopre this makes since....I'm not good at explaining things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%