Rolling Out Mmf On Vinyl

Decorating By LisaBa Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 7:17pm by pammelasue

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 11

I went to wal-mart yesterday to buy a piece of vinyl to roll out my mmf. All they had was one piece that had a texture on it and flannel backing. That CAN'T be what I should be looking for. For those of you who use this, HELP!!!!!! icon_confused.gif
How big of a piece do you buy to use? And, if my memory serves me correctly, I read that you wash it and hang it to dry? What about that backing?
Someone steer me right. TIA

10 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

I just boought the wilton rolling mat. It works great,

Stephanie

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 11

The vinyl I have is clear and smooth no texture to it. I did get it at wal-mart . I can't rember how much I bought of it I think I just ask for a yard and then cut it to what I needed.

LisaBa Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 11

was the back clear and smooth as well?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 11

Look in the fabric section at wal mart...........they have vinyl right by the counter where you get your fabric cut it's on huge rollers.......they also have some kinds of vinyl shelf liners I guess is what you'd use them for.........I'm gonna have to get some I never thought of using it to roll stuff out on.......Hey I bet you could use it to cover cake boards too and just wash and reuse......it's kind of a thick clear vinyl!

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 11

Yes it is just clear vinyl.You can see right through it.

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 11

Quick question...my Walmart has a few different weights or thicknesses, does it matter which one I should get?
Pam

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 11

I roll out mine on plexi glass..vinyl sounds interesting.. I'll go to
Home Depot and get 1 1/2 yards of smooth vinyl.. thanks for sharing. icon_smile.gif

MooieKatooie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MooieKatooie Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 11

I use a large piece of clear vinyl to roll my fondant out, too. I love it -- it's larger and easier to work with than the Wilton mat. If you have the Wilton mat, you can place it under your clear vinyl to use its size markings (very handy).

As for thickness...You don't want the vinyl to be too thin. If it is, then it's more difficult to get the fondant off of it and if you use it to lift and move the fondant (say, to cover a cake), you're more likely to get creases or cracks with a thinner vinyl back. Mine is a fairly hefty thickness...almost as thick as a single cardboard (cake board), but still very pliable. If your Wal-Mart doesn't have it in their fabric section, you might want to try Jo-Ann's, Hancock Fabrics or some other fabric store.

LisaBa Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 11

thanks everyone for coming to my rescue! I am heading to Hancock Fabrics this afternoon! Ya'll are the greatest!

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the info on thickness! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%