So She Comes To Me With A Margaret Braun Book....

Business By SweetArt Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm by Jovy

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:01am
post #61 of 156

I would love to see this completed cake and what techniques you used

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #62 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I can see it being a 2 day project - but 2 weeks?!?

Maybe I'm dreaming - or maybe I'm just too cocky. LOL! Either way, I guess I'll find out. Project MB Replica Cake starts WEDNESDAY! Can she (I) do it?!? We'll see...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

I will cross my fingeres for how your dummy-cake will come out. Good luck, cant wait to see it. icon_biggrin.gif

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:38pm
post #63 of 156
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like you are going to make the cake . . . I'd love to read a daily blog about creating it!

Me too!! Take LOTS of pictures for us please!! icon_wink.gif I would love to see a step by step on how you pull this together...

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:03am
post #64 of 156

I don't know if anyone is still checking this thread....or if you are needing any advice at all, but I just found emmascakes amazing creation called "African Queen" It looks simalar to the one you are doing and is totally cool!! (In case you need someone to talk to...) Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-54379.html

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:49am
post #65 of 156

Wow, good luck on the cake, I am sure you can do it. : ) Hope you charged enough to make it worth your time though. Looking foward to pictures! : )

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:22pm
post #66 of 156
Quote:

Maybe I'm dreaming - or maybe I'm just too cocky. LOL! Either way, I guess I'll find out. Project MB Replica Cake starts WEDNESDAY! Can she (I) do it?!? We'll see...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

I spent about 8 - 9 hours (over 2 days) on a 6-7 tier cake with a lot of the same elements as MB. The photo is my gallery. I think it appears more daunting than it actually is. A little pre-planning and organization goes a long way. (there are also some progress and step by step photos in my MySpace blog)

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm
post #67 of 156

Before any other comments - very well done and you are FAST girl! But I do agree with you, I'm looking at each element and none of them are very difficult in themselves. I have VERY little artistic talent and I could probably do each of those elements - would take me a LOOOOOONG time, but I could do it. The cake carving however, I don't even want to venture there, but if I were to, it would be something like this where it's just geometric shapes, not animal shapes! EEK! If you ever see a sculpture in my photos, you'll know that DH did that for me! LOL

Another question - did you make these with dummy cakes? That would speed things up tremendously - no need to support the weight and such and carving is easier too.

And I have to comment. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that I see your messy kitchen. That is EXACTLY how mine looks when I decorate too! LOL Gotta love the vodka bottle on the side! icon_biggrin.gif

But it can be SURELY said, you are very talented and if you can work that fast, that's more REAL profit for you (can do more cakes in less time)... Gooooooood job! I might actually try something like this one day because now you've showed me it's POSSIBLE and I've recently discovered fondant is easy to work with on a cake. I guess all those pie crusts and European cookies I've rolled out and had to drape have given me practice.

Melissa

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:13pm
post #68 of 156

Your cake is beautifu!!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:07pm
post #69 of 156

I could not even come close to duplicating that ~ how much fun to try though!!!

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:42pm
post #70 of 156

[quote="BrandisBaked"]

Quote:

I spent about 8 - 9 hours (over 2 days) on a 6-7 tier cake with a lot of the same elements as MB. The photo is my gallery. I think it appears more daunting than it actually is. A little pre-planning and organization goes a long way. (there are also some progress and step by step photos in my MySpace blog)

Hi Brandibaked, would love to see the step by step photos, is there any easy link to your blog? thank you

shstover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shstover Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #71 of 156

Hey, can you make the Empress Theadora one for me? icon_lol.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #72 of 156

Wowsie! I hope you get alot of sweet $$$ for that one! Boy, I'm slow anyways with detail, I can't even imagine how much time it would take....now...if she calls you and asks you for some ridiculous request for cake flavor and filling like some out of season fruit with liquor all different for each tier...just hang up the phone and run! LOL!!!

BrandisBaked Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:34pm
post #73 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscake

Hi Brandibaked, would love to see the step by step photos, is there any easy link to your blog? thank you

www.myspace.com/brandibakes

The photos are in my gallery, and I wrote about it in my blog. icon_biggrin.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:44pm
post #74 of 156

Forgot to answer the other questions:

Yes, they are dummy cakes. However, I don't think there is a much a time saving difference - as I spent about an hour cleaning up the little styrofoam shavings after the carving. I think they become electrically charged and don't like to be wiped up. I ended up using my vacuum to clean my counters off after each tier was carved.

I think it all evens out and I'd have spent the same amount of time on a real cake.

I have no idea how many servings this would be (didn't figure it out yet) but I'd charge $8 per serving for a cake like this - mostly because of all the gold luster dust used (I used the cheaper stuff since it was just a dummy - but on a paid cake, I'd use the good/expensive stuff). Now, if only I could get someone to order one from me, I could go to DisneyWorld! LOL!

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #75 of 156

maybe i missed it but did SweetArt ever say what she quoted that bride for a price?

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:24am
post #76 of 156

I was curious about that myself, or if she decided to do it at all. I'd love to see her finished cake. icon_smile.gif

Holly

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #77 of 156

I haven't been on for a while.

This topic caught my eye. I'd love to find out what happened!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #78 of 156

Sorry, but nothing new has happened. I don't require details to be finalized until a few months before the wedding, so there is no set price yet. She has put down a deposit, so unless she totally changes her mind on the design, it's a go. I will post the details when things start to happen in the spring.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:37pm
post #79 of 156

Your brides will book with you when you just tell them "I'll let you know the price a few months from now."? icon_confused.gif

SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #80 of 156

No. They know my prices up front. We go into details and pricing during the first consultation. I found that a lot of brides would change their minds on the # of servings or flavors, and sometimes the designs and I would have to change the paperwork anyways. We discuss it all, we just don't set it in stone. They like the flexibility.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #81 of 156

how much did you end up quoting her for the margaret braun cake?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #82 of 156

OH! Now I understand. That makes sense.

SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:20pm
post #83 of 156

The price was $4 per serving, so about $1,000. No, I'm not cheap, that is high in this area and she did tone down the overall design.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:37pm
post #84 of 156

Ya know.. I'm gonna follow Brandi on this. I'm gonna go buy some styrofoam and see what I can do!

Cross your fingers!

BrandisBaked Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:02pm
post #85 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Ya know.. I'm gonna follow Brandi on this. I'm gonna go buy some styrofoam and see what I can do!

Cross your fingers!

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif (and have fun!)

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #86 of 156

icon_eek.gif Dear God! That is certainly a high quote cake to get her running! icon_eek.gif

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:20pm
post #87 of 156

Wow..

We recently learned about how to price and gauge time, etc in my pastry classes.

I just briefly looking over that cake, with the size it'd need to be, and all the items, the least I'd charge for it is 20 dollars a slice. My quote would have been at least 6,000. Your bride better be thanking her lucky stars that you're a nice person!

icon_surprised.gif

Holy freaking cake! ha!

Of course, I also live in CT so things are higher priced here. icon_biggrin.gif

FlowerGirlMN Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:35pm
post #88 of 156

I HATE STYROFOAM NOW!!!!

Just had to share that.

BrandisBaked Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:56am
post #89 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

I HATE STYROFOAM NOW!!!!

Just had to share that.

LOL! Yeah, it can be a pain.

Did you finish a cake dummy?

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:09am
post #90 of 156

I got it carved up, covered with magenta, then got sidetracked.

I'm *aiming* to have it done by next Tuesday, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%