Check For Your Cake Photos On This Website

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm by Doug

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 64

Seems we have another decorator using photos from others websites. Check and see if any belong to you. I have so far recognized 4 different decorators photos there. I have heard some of the photos are also from Cake Centrals Gallery.
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Cake.Expressions.620-341-9017

http://www.mycakeexpressions.com/

Her name is Michele Stormont. She must be getting the word because she has already removed one photo just in the time it took me to type this post.

63 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 64

There was a lengthy post on this subject yesterday and quite a few people have emailed them

ShirleyW Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 64

Ah, I missed that one yesterday. I recognize many of these cakes from other sites.

pklundberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pklundberg Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 64

The very first photo on this website, is made by cakesbyallision.

I happened to have it in my favorites, so it was easy for me to check.

Why do people feel the urge to do this? It's a shame!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 64
Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 64

Wow, Shirley--I just checked and recognized at least two decorators from CC who had their photos stolen! As a matter of fact, both of the pictures I recognized are saved in my favorites, so I recognized them immediately. I just sent a pm to one of the decorators letting her know about her photo showing up on another site. How awful that people are doing this!!!

Delicate-Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delicate-Lee Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 64

Makes me so angry! How can you call yourself a cake decorator if you have to use other peoples art to promote yourself... Sad sad sad! We just had this problem with a person that started doing cakes and used our photos on her business card.... then after a few months of keeping quiet she did it again! and again! not only to one cake decorator but quiet a few of us around the area. To then see her work which was pretty poor to use our photos to sell and make money when she couldnt even produce that quality of work let alone the cakes in the pictures!
Im not a angry person but when i hear and see stories like this it gets my blood boiling! If i ever saw these people in person icon_mad.gif i tell you what they would get a good talking to hahaha
But i do say a big THANK YOU! to the kind people that see this going on and let the cake decorator know! If it wasnt for them this would continue

ShirleyW Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 64

Maybe we need to go back to the thread Doug posted the link to. I would not have started another thread had I known that one existed.
Thanks everyone.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-403163.html

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 64

whenever i save pics on my comp of cakes i've seen here that i'd like to try sometime later i always save them with the artists/members name next to it and any info that keeps it noted that this cake was done by such and such.. or that this cake was done by example JaneDoe who was inspired by Janetdoe's cake etc.. this way when the time comes that i can work my own magic and wish to post a pic about it; i have proper reference as to where and whom the cake was inspired by

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 64

what a cheater! i am thinking of starting this as a business. when or if i do, i will make a brochure with my OWN cakes. if that means making a certain cake for no other reason than putting it in the brochure, so be it. not stealing another person's cake.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 64

save

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 64

i just thought of another thing....

it's like shoplifting!!!!

hollyhobby74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyhobby74 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:15am
post #13 of 64

I love that you girls are fighting back !
I feel the same way about my cake photo's. I have albums in our shop with pictures in them and we actually have customers come in and try to take pictures with their camera phone! The nerve of some people!
I don't have any pictures on this site yet because my pictures are "Too large?" or something. I think I have my digital on too high a resolution.

Get 'em girls ! icon_mad.gif

Ximenilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ximenilla Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #14 of 64

I was a victim once of stolen designs, but in my case the "big" company used my complete flyer changing only the name of my business for theirs. I'd called a lawyer and he told me that to initiate a legal process would be a waste of money and time because I was an individual filling against a renoun cake business. So, the most I could do was to go against the printing company and advice them not to use my layout or pictures for any other business or person. A second time I had another "decorator" using one of my pictures at his website saying that he won a prize in France and I've called directly to the business and advice them to remove that picture or I will initiate a legal action. 'The next day, they had removed the picture, but the feeling of frustration went a few days.

I really hope this matter is solved soon and hopefully somebody knows exactly what to do in these cases.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:24am
post #15 of 64

folks, I think Shirley had a good idea .... we should "close" this thread and divert over to the other threads so all comments and information is/are listed together. Ximenilla, the info you posted would be very interesting to the posters on the other thread.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:38am
post #16 of 64

SHE WILL RESPOND TOMORROW. I JUST TALK TO HER, SHE DOES NOT HAVE A COMPUTER AT HOME ONLY AT WORK....THATS WHY SHE HAS NOT RESPONDED BACK

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:53am
post #17 of 64

I think what needs to happen is if you have a really nice cake and dont want anybody to steal it then you need to put a watermark on the picture and put your name so that it shows it is yours...that will stop the thieves...

i used to be on another website and there were pictures posted of animals...people were stealing the pictures off the website and saying that they were their animals in order to try to sell them. Alot of people started putting watermarks on the pictures and it cut down alot on the stealing.

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #18 of 64

TURNS OUT SHE PHOTOSHOPED THE PICTURES AND REMOVED THE WATERMARK ON THE PICTURES. thumbsdown.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:00pm
post #19 of 64

I wonder which ones are really hers. She has a lot of cakes on the same pink background, making me think they are possibly ones that she has done. If that is true, then she does nice work. And it just wouldnt be necessary to use other people's photos. I wonder why she would feel the need to do so. Otherwise she has lifted a lot of photos from the same person!!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I wonder which ones are really hers. She has a lot of cakes on the same pink background, making me think they are possibly ones that she has done. If that is true, then she does nice work. And it just wouldnt be necessary to use other people's photos. I wonder why she would feel the need to do so. Otherwise she has lifted a lot of photos from the same person!!

I was wondering the same thing, quite a few has the same silky pink backdrop, and those are not bad cakes at all!

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:00pm
post #21 of 64

She does have a link to a photographer with the same last name, so it's very possible she has good access to get some good studio pics done.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Quote:

SHE WILL RESPOND TOMORROW. I JUST TALK TO HER, SHE DOES NOT HAVE A COMPUTER AT HOME ONLY AT WORK....THATS WHY SHE HAS NOT RESPONDED BACK

Anyone heard from her? Just curious what she has to say. I am not sure that I understand what Trent said about the designer of her website using the photos without her knowledge.... My husband is in the IT industry and you don't just put stuff on a website. (Not if you are a legit designer anyway!) All the information and pictures come from the client (not just browsing online) and before you can launch a website you are supposed to get approval of the design from the person you are creating it for. If this is truly what happened to this lady then I guess it is a lesson to all of us that you need to check out your web designer BEFORE you pay them to create a site.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #23 of 64

It looks like, from what's been reported as of yesterday that mbelgard was right!!

Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone want to make a bet with me that when we hear from this woman the excuse is going to be:
"Someone else did my website and accidently put photos I had saved on"
OR
"I didn't realise it was wrong and somehow missed all the threads on this topic and the rule on CC that states you can't steal photos"
OR
"Everyone on CC is so kind and caring I thought they wouldn't mind"

From past things like this I'd be surprised if the top response isn't the one used.

I'll be interested to hear how the watermarks got removed when she responds ............????? icon_confused.gifdetective.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gifdetective.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:53pm
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I wonder which ones are really hers. She has a lot of cakes on the same pink background, making me think they are possibly ones that she has done. If that is true, then she does nice work.

Ironically, they are all from the same bakery...but not hers. That tell-tale pink satin dropcloth is so recognizable!

http://www.thebestcakeshop.com/page/page/2224050.htm

icon_mad.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:01pm
post #25 of 64

... I thought this thread was locked ... icon_confused.gif

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #26 of 64

I found one of my cakes on her site!!!

ShirleyW Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #27 of 64

I haven't asked that it be locked, but had suggested people not post anything more here, but to go to the original thread.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-403163.html

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #28 of 64

The other thread was locked to prevent any further discussion on the subject and to give the "suspect" a chance to respond before she was attacked any further...

Someone said this had been looked as well.

WendyVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyVA Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #29 of 64

So has anyone heard anything from her yet? It's now after 2:00 pm in Kansas and I see our pictures are still up on her site and I haven't gotten a reply to my email. But as I stated before - I don't need a reply, I just want my picture off her site.

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm
post #30 of 64

I sent her an email but indications are that she doesn't check that email anymore. I am waiting until tonight to call her because she indicated she is at work and I don't want to have this conversation with her while she's at work.

I will share with all the resolution we come up with when I speak with her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%