Are You Self Taught?

Decorating By majormichel Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm by Brandonsmommy

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 67

How did you learn to decorate cakes? Did you go to culinary school? did you learn on your own? Please tell your story. icon_biggrin.gif

I have some baking and cooking skills under my belt (self taught). Does it make sense to go to culinary school or just take a few professional classes (learn from the best) from Nicholas Lodge, Toba Garrett, Maisie Parrish, etc. I am in unviersity getting my accounts degree and i cannot afford to take out another student loan.

What is your view?

66 replies
darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 67

Yes, I am self taught. I have wanted to take classes for a long time. The nearest class would have been 1 hour away and it just never worked out. I came upon this site May 2006 and I have been "addicted" ever since.

I learned everything I know except for the shell border from this site. I would like to take the Wilton Class 3 and 4 though, but I know I need to take Class 1 to be able to take any other classes.

I have a lot to learn but I think I know enough basics, so Wilton 1 isn't for me. If I could take some classes from bakeries or something like that, I would do it. I am in a small town, and I don't for see that happening. Nor do I know of any place within a 50 mile radius that would offer a class other than Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

darkchocolate

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 67

do you consider wilton courses, culinary school or self taught? i dont see it fitting into either catagory

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 67

Bought a Wilton book. Bought some bags and tips. Started selling cakes in less than 6 months. (Health Dept? Zoning? Legal business? What the heck was that stuff?) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I've come a long way, baby! icon_cool.gif It's amazing how much we learn as we get older!

Coverdalegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coverdalegirl Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 67

I'm not a professional cake decorator by any means. I make cakes for my neice and nephews birthdays. I've had no training other than watching "Ace of Cakes" on the food network. I just discovered this web site and it is an absolute font of information. I wish I had found it last month when my neice asked for a "Flip Flop" cake. It would have made that job so much easier. icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 67

Completely self-taught, never taken a cake decorating class in my life. My Gran taught me to bake as a child and ignited my love for it, and I've expanded on that basic 'education' as an adult, which is why I named my business after her.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 67

I would sit down and consider your long term goals.

Culinary school definitely has its benefits, but it is very expensive (I paid almost $30k for a 9 month course). If you're budget minded, I think classes would be a great start - as you could take one or two specialized classes, as opposed to 9 months where only 3 of them are dedicated to what you really need/want to know. (I had 6 weeks of a breads class - I HATE baking bread and have no desire to make my own. EVER.)

If you're wondering if it would be good for you, I'd compile a list of things you want to acheive and ask people which route they think might be better for you. I could give you specific advice if I knew what you were trying to do.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 67

if reading books (lots of them!)and practicing on your friends and family is considered self taught, then that is what i am. i have always had a knack for art in some form or other, but within the last year, realized that i prefer cakes to be my canvas. icon_smile.gif read read read!

after getting the basics under your belt, i recommend:

kate sullivan
margaret braun
colette peters
whimsical bakehouse
debbie brown
peggy porschen (sp?)
elisa strauss

you may spend a couple hundred dollars on books, but they dont "end" like the classes do, and are likely, cheaper.

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 67

I taught myself from lots of different books. (not all wilton) Lots of trial and error. I think I have a lot of talent but there are stupid little things I simply can not do. Like BC rosebuds. I just haven't found the knack yet.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 67

at tho mo i am self taught... not just at deoratting but at cooking, pastry and all baking.. i am starting culinary school in sept... so nervous.. i am so looking forward to it.. after i get my pastry chef certifcations i am moving on to chef training to fine tune my cooking skills. i would like to do something in catering or open my own place

ange14843 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ange14843 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 67

I too am self taught. I started making cakes for my kids and have always been pretty crafty and pick up on stuff easily. Then I started making cakes for the rest of my family. Not until one of my daycare parents ( I run a daycare) saw one of my cakes, did I start doing them outside of family. She asked my to do one for her and it's been through word of mouth and people seeing my cakes that I decided to start doing cakes on the side. I read a few articles and websites on certain techniques, but I am still learning new stuff everyday.

jamiet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiet Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 67

I am totally self-taught. I do think you lose a little credibility with some people if they know you are self-taught. I would love to take some classes someday.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 67

I am totally self taught with alittle help from CC of course!!!!! No one ever really asks me where i went to school, So luckily I have not lost any clients.

melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiet

I do think you lose a little credibility with some people if they know you are self-taught. I would love to take some classes someday.

i disagree. usually when people ask me where i went to school to learn this, they are shocked to hear that i have not, but are even more so impressed with the fact that i have been able to learn so much without "official training'. i think alot depends on your determination and passion for your creativity...it goes a long way. people see if you are confident and tend to trust that.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 67

Self-taught, and still learning! And boy do I gots lots o' learnin to do! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Though I would LOVE to take a class, Wilton or otherwise, it's just not in the cards right now, so I read, read, read, and read somemore. Lately most of that reading is here on CC! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #16 of 67

I too am self taught. My mom got me into it. She basicly did star tip cakes for our birthdays and a few for family and i just fell in love with it and knew what i wanted to do as an adult. I love cake decorating and hope to open my buisness very soon.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 67

I like some of the others am self taught but have read lots of books. I also think about it all the time. I went to Disney movies to learn how to get the background coloring right for scenes on sheet cakes. I look at architecture for ideas. I got books on lettering to learn how to write different styles. I think if you teach yourself you have the advantage of developing your own style. Do you see a great cake and say, "I want to make that" or do you dream up an idea and think of how you can make that into a cake. I think cake decorating is not learning how to make something someone else has done but developing a skill to control the icing to make it do what you want it to. I personally have never had a desire to take a class. I think keeping your eyes and mind open all the time and practice is the big secret to everything.

melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:05pm
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:

I do think you lose a little credibility with some people if they know you are self-taught. I would love to take some classes someday.

i disagree. usually when people ask me where i went to school to learn this, they are shocked to hear that i have not, but are even more so impressed with the fact that i have been able to learn so much without "official training'. i think alot depends on your determination and passion for your creativity...it goes a long way. people see if you are confident and tend to trust that.

by the way, jamiet, your cakes are beautifully detailed. i have several of them in my favorites. if you come across individuals who disregard your professionalism simply because you are self taught, well boo on them. THEY miss out. seriously... icon_smile.gif hehe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:07pm
post #19 of 67
Quote:

I do think you lose a little credibility with some people if they know you are self-taught.

Totally disagree. Most people are more than impressed at the work I do that I learned "on my own".

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:07pm
post #20 of 67

In 1980 my husband(now my ex) bought me the Wilton's Beginner Kit with plastic tips. I made one cake for his parents 25th anniversary. I was just not "into" it at that time in my life. Over the years, I always came up with creative cakes for my younguns birthdays. So, in 1995 my cousin talked me into taking Wilton Course I with her. I still didn't get the "itch". My nieces and nephews loved my kids cakes so much, they started asking me to make their cakes. My nephew planted the seed by saying, "Aunt Sheila, you should start your own bakery". That was August 2005. I have really been addicted since then. I consider myself self-taught. I look back at some of early cakes and they're just OK. I would have to say that this website has been a huge inspiration and help. Since joining my cakes are much better and the tips and tricks you learn from hands-on experience of the members here is priceless. I guess it just comes down to whether or not one needs a diploma or certificate on the wall for customers to read/see. I think the cakes speak for themselves.

melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:09pm
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I think if you teach yourself you have the advantage of developing your own style. ... I think keeping your eyes and mind open all the time and practice is the big secret to everything.

extremely well said thumbs_up.gif

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:09pm
post #22 of 67

I am mostly self-taught but also took the Wilton courses as well to "learn" more of the basics. I started decorating cakes about 3 years ago for my DS first birthday. Then I started doing cakes for my nieces and now for family and friends. I am planning on taking the Wilton 4 class next month as well as enroll in a course at the community college (they offer a degree in Advanced Baking) because I sometimes feel "inadequate". I sometimes get jealous looking at all the wonderful cakes that other CC's have made and hope to be that good someday.

I just discovered MINDY SMITH's books (I belive that is her name) and highly recommend them as well.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:11pm
post #23 of 67

I'm totally self-taught! I wish there were some classes available where I live, but there is nothing, not even a decent shop that sells decorating products!! The only shop we have sells only a few Wilton products, and haven't got any icing color or new products for almost a year now!! Can't tell you about books!! Not available either! The only book I have is the Wilton 2007 Yearbook!!
Can't wait to go to my home country to buy some decent books and some material.

By the way, NO ONE in my family likes cooking or baking or making sweets!!! They all HATE to enter the kitchen!!! My father used to be the only one to like cooking, but that's it!

Just like Indydebi, I bought piping bags and star tips and the Wilton yearbook and started!!!
I forgot to mention that most of the things I learned were from CCers. Thanks to all of them. icon_smile.gif

melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:13pm
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

. I would have to say that this website has been a huge inspiration and help. Since joining my cakes are much better and the tips and tricks you learn from hands-on experience of the members here is priceless.

ah yes, that is so true in my case as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

I guess it just comes down to whether or not one needs a diploma or certificate on the wall for customers to read/see. I think the cakes speak for themselves.

that LAST sentence there...a pearl of wisdom.

melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:15pm
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

I'm totally self-taught! I wish there were some classes available where I live, but there is nothing, not even a decent shop that sells decorating products!! The only shop we have sells only a few Wilton products, and haven't got any icing color or new products for almost a year now!! Can't tell you about books!! Not available either! The only book I have is the Wilton 2007 Yearbook!!

god bless the internet. online stores have everything. icon_wink.gif

mme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mme Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm
post #26 of 67

It's nice to see that so many people out there are self taught. Everything I've learned is from CC, watching Food Network competitions and books. I just realized the other day that the local library is a pretty good source (I'm a little slow sometimes!).

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:19pm
post #27 of 67

Wow, I am impressed with what everyone had to say. I did the Wilton Master course in May 2005. I would like to specialize in fondant and gumpaste flowers. I guess I will buy more books and practice, practice. I see practice is the key along with inspiration and self determination.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:26pm
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

god bless the internet. online stores have everything. icon_wink.gif

I know, I ordered some icing colors and luster dusts from CakeCentral, but didn't receive anything. 2 months later, CC contacts me saying that my package was returned to them , with the message: RETURN TO SENDER written on it!!!! Apparently the stupid customs here didn't allow my things to enter the country!!! icon_cry.gif

Fortunately I have a friend in the US who was coming here, so I sent my order again to her house in the US, and she brought my things with her, but I ahd to wait for 2 months for her to come here.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:30pm
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosita6882

I too am self taught. My mom got me into it. She basicly did star tip cakes for our birthdays and a few for family and i just fell in love with it and knew what i wanted to do as an adult. I love cake decorating and hope to open my buisness very soon.

Same here! Totally self taught. My mother made our cakes when my sisters and I were little, and now I am doing it. I just quit my job after having my second baby in December and I started decorating in February. Sold my first cake (to family) later that month! I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go but I am loving every minute of it! thumbs_up.gif

melysa Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:36pm
post #30 of 67

jouj, i looked at your photos, and can i just say that for not having access to many decorating things, you have been very resourceful and come up with some really nice, colorful pieces of art icon_smile.gif way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%