How Far In Advance Can You Make A Cake?

Decorating By janetwhitson Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 1:24pm by jennzapita

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake order for Sunday afternoon and am busy on Saturday. Is it too early to bake and decorate the cake on Friday? Will it still be fresh or do I need to stay up late Saturday to do it? I've heard of freezing cakes but I've never tried it. I'd appreciate suggestions.

5 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

You can bake and decorate on Friday! What kind of filling are you going to use? Depending on the filling you might have to refrigerate the cake if you can't assemble at the last minute like Saturday!

Amy

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:35am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Amy...so it still tastes fresh? I don't want to deliver a cake that doesn't taste good.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:43am
post #4 of 6

It should be fine! Once you put the icing on the cake it acts as a sealant! That's how I describe it. Don't let it sit un-iced for too long without being wrapped in plastic wrap or something. I just made a cake today for Friday. I filled it and have it already on it's board. I wrapped the cake and the board in plastic wrap and layed a kitchen towel over it. I'll decorate it in the morning for a Friday noon ceremony! I also have another cake to make tomorrow for Saturday.

Just keep it wrapped up until icing and it will be just fine!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Amy

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:54am
post #5 of 6

Baking Friday for Sunday is perfectly fine. Frost it the day you bake it to keep it freshest.

jennzapita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennzapita Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 6

I've baked my cakes as early as Wednesday night to give me Thursday night and Friday night for decorating and Saturday for delivery. They have always stayed fresh and moist. I've used mostly buttercream and mousse as my fillings....but if you are worried about it drying out, as the other ladies said, ice it sooner rather than later. Also, you could put a thin layer of fruit glaze or some liquor (rum) on the cake layers with a pastry brush - such as is done in Cassata cake before the filling is put in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%