Oh My Goodness...what Do You Do????

Business By delaware Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 9:03pm by CoutureCake

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:42am
post #1 of 17

I have a request for a wedding cake this September. A Sheet cake with a smaller cake on top? My mind is screaming NOOOOOO! I was looking forward to making another wedding cake, but now not so much. What do you do when your customer has an idea that you just don't think would look good???? Should I just do the sheet cake with the smaller cake on top, or try to persuade them to go a different way. It's really not any fun to make a cake that you don't like, but should I really care? I am being paid to make it after all. I just won't include it in my portfolio.

16 replies
CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #2 of 17

Depending on the sizes, I've done this and it's not as bad as you think! A 12"x18" with a 9"x13" sheet on top is a nice proportion and looks nice with a cascade of flowers, etc. It's definately not for the fancy wedding, but that can't all be money is no object receptions. Usually I get this kind of request when people are on a very tight budget or it's a very casual second wedding, etc. I've also done a double layer sheet cake decorated on the sides and everything just like a wedding cake with pillars in the center and a small round or heart cake on top and it's not bad either. It may not be your proudest cake, but when you start doing this for a business, you start doing whatever the customer asks for. Also, don't ever leave something out of your portfolio because you don't like it. As long as it's done well, it still shows your versatility and may be exactly what someone else needs too! -Lori

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:35am
post #3 of 17

I agree with the above post. Do the best you can on the cake because they will love it. You may not, but they will. sometimes we have to do cakes we don't want to do, but those may lead to the orders that we do. icon_wink.gif

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #4 of 17

There is a really cute cake in a wilton book... it's a sheet cake and in the corner they have some pillars with a smaller cake that is a totally different shape it's really cute, and well that way you can feed a lot of people and still have a level to keep for the bride and groom. I know the wilton cake isn't a wedding cake... if i remember right it was a baptism cake or christening cake... it was pink and white had flowers on it, anyone else know the one i'm talking about?
Jen

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #5 of 17

Michelangelo and Leonardo did a bunch of art they weren't inspired by but today they are masterpieces.
Blessings!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:58am
post #6 of 17

Who knows? You might love the cake that you end up making. As long as you do your best (and you really should, surprise yourself by making this cake you're dreading be WONDERFUL!!), the cake should look good, REGARDLESS of the shape.
Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 17

I have done this several times for the bride on a strict budget. They have always turned out very pretty. As people have said you may not always want to do a certain project but if you are in business can you afford to say no? The finished cake may surprise you.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 17

My first thought was that it wouldn't look good, then I saw the pics indydebi posted and thought it wasn't such a bad idea. Personally, I would do it just for the experience, my feeling is if you can take something your not really thrilled about and make it into something wonderful that would be all the fun. Besides its the brides choice and if she want's a sheet cake I'm sure you could make her one you would both be proud of.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 17

Here's a pic of a wedding shower cake I did when I was first starting out, the small cake consisted of a 6", 4" & 2" single cakes.
LL

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

Here's a pic of a wedding shower cake I did when I was first starting out, the small cake consisted of a 6", 4" & 2" single cakes.

That's a nice cake. I like it alot. The little roses are perfect too icon_smile.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 17

I kinda like the concept after looking at the sites that Indydebi posted. I especially liked the last two. Think of how much easier it would be to cut the cake at the wedding! icon_biggrin.gif I could especially see this type of cake at a second wedding or a small "at home" wedding.

I'm sure you can come up with a beautiful cake to the bride's liking. Good luck!

Diane

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 17

it just goes to show you. You can make almost anything look good in cake!!!!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 17

Here's one I did about 20 years ago. I like stacked sheet cakes. You have to look at each new cake as a challenge, not a bore. Take something you are unsure of and make it great!
LL

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:39pm
post #15 of 17

After having been a bride whose cake ideas were crushed by every baker we met with (even though I KNEW my skill was such that I could do any one of the designs but I couldn't DIY and freeze it because I didn't have a licensed kitchen at the time), I have to say the motto I took when I started doing cakes professionally "Tis not for me to judge". Just because it isn't YOUR idea of the ideal wedding cake, maybe it is the bride's idea. Your idea versus the brides idea need to be weighed and the bride ultimately has to decide. Usually if they know they can have something nicer for the same price as the something they thought is within their budget, they go for the nicer option. HOWEVER, it's still their choice.

OTOH, if I get someone wanting to order a grocery store designed cake that I know they can get "balloons on a sheet" elsewhere, a cake like that isn't worth my time because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my cakes. I think the decorators at the grocery stores and big box stores need customers too thumbs_up.gif .. I'll do it, but it's the same price as if they had the cake specialy designed for the event and I make that fact known and once they know that they come around pretty quickly to the idea of having a personalized cake because there isn't any cost savings to them to go with a generic design. The other factor being a design that is not my specialty. If I get someone who wants what I call "Overpiping" my instinct is to refer them to another baker (and name names to the bride)because it's just not my skill level. Stacked, fondant, shaped cakes, no problem. A pillar and fountain cake, um, not so much...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 17

I am sort of confused...if you are charging per serving, or they need a large amount of servings, how is making a stacked sheet cake going to be any cheaper then a regular tiered cake? Right now I am having trouble computing charges vs. servings so forgive me if I am missing something icon_smile.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I am sort of confused...if you are charging per serving, or they need a large amount of servings, how is making a stacked sheet cake going to be any cheaper then a regular tiered cake? Right now I am having trouble computing charges vs. servings so forgive me if I am missing something icon_smile.gif

Every bridal magazine under the sun is telling brides "just order a sheet cake because no one will notice (yea right! - I've seen more lip curls with those things than disgust with rubber chicken for the dinner - people expect the rubber chicken and wedding CAKE, not a slice of kiddie cake) and it'll save you some money". They aren't discussing FACTS with the bride that the flat pan sheet cakes have an overall smaller size than even the wedding cake slices (most tend to only be about 1 1/2 tall, and a 2x2 slice so even if it's $.25 less per slice, they're actually getting $.75 less worth of cake. OTOH, when it comes to kitchen cakes they can save brides a little money in that they don't require much for decorating time other than to rough ice them. That's a lot different in time required than to smooth buttercream, do a fondant top coat, and pipe on a very detailed design.

OTOH, stacking sheet cakes like they are a regular tiered cake, no difference in price at all. It's just a shape difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%