How Early In Advance Can I Make Mud Cake?

Decorating By Barky Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 7:04am by sweet_as_tisse

Barky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barky Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #1 of 2

I need to make a christening cake for Sunday and I am making mudcakes. If I make the cakes Thursday and decorate Friday will everything still be fresh for Sunday. How long does cake last once covered in fondant and how long in advance can I make the fondant ornaments? One more question, once I decorate the cake is it fine to just leave it in a box or should I cover it over. Thanks

1 reply
sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:04am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barky

I need to make a christening cake for Sunday and I am making mudcakes. If I make the cakes Thursday and decorate Friday will everything still be fresh for Sunday. How long does cake last once covered in fondant and how long in advance can I make the fondant ornaments? One more question, once I decorate the cake is it fine to just leave it in a box or should I cover it over. Thanks

Hi Barky

this is what i do, if i have a cake due for the weekend i normally make them a few days before and freeze them ( or refridgerate) a mud cake will last a good five days. i will decorate 1 to 2 days before the cake is due, if you are covering it in fondant it will be fine to sit out. you can lightly cover in cling wrap if you wanted too.

for the fondant ornaments make them as early as you want, they will need drying time if you are not adding a hardening agent such as tylose powder...

if you plan on making and decorating thursday and friday, your cake will be good for at least another 3 to 5 days...

hope this helped

cheers

kylie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%