Your Best Fondant Tip?

Decorating By havingfun Updated 16 Jul 2014 , 10:38pm by sulia

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:30am
post #31 of 62

I too use the vinyl that you get in the fabric dept. to roll my fondant out on. I've been using MMF and using a tiny bit of shortening on the vinyl and my rolling pin. No sticking! I can just pick up the vinyl with the fondant on it and flip it over on my cake. Just peel the vinyl off and smooth your fondant on your cake! With larger cakes I usually enlist an extra pair of hands!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:32am
post #32 of 62

I got this tip on coloring fondant from Doug here on cc. It works like a charm, you can see my dark red & blue came out really nice on the Twins cake I did. He is amazing! Thanks for all the tips, love them!

do it like pulling taffy.

1) flatten ball.

2) add drops of color

3) fold ball so color in center.

4) roll out into long rope

5) fold rope over on itself in thirds (or if more talented than I, on itself in half TWICE -- so that would be fourths?)

6) twist

Repeat steps 4-6 over and over until color is smooth.

much easier than kneading.

and can add little drops of color to make darker at step 5

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:06am
post #33 of 62

Everyone talks about kneading to the right consistency. Should that be like a can of fresh playdoh and not stick to your hands? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have these discussions over a cup of coffee!!!!!
Thanks for all the information.
Lilybird

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:59am
post #34 of 62

icon_cool.gif mm.. what is MMF?

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:25pm
post #35 of 62

Its Marshmallow fondant!

Suzian3570 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzian3570 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

Everyone talks about kneading to the right consistency. Should that be like a can of fresh playdoh and not stick to your hands? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have these discussions over a cup of coffee!!!!!
Thanks for all the information.
Lilybird

Lilybird...I use Pam or any type of baking spray to spray on my hands while kneading. If I'm making a large cake (large area to cover), I may need to respray my hands several times as I'm kneading. This keeps the fondant softer and keeps my hands from sticking to it. I roll my fondant out on a very thin layer of powdered sugar until it is the thickness I need. Then I use a large rolling pin to wrap the fondant and carefully unroll it to cover the cake. So far I've had good results. I'm attaching 2 of my most recent fondant covered cakes....tell me what you think!

Suzian Cunningham
www.suzianscakes.com
LL
LL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:48pm
post #37 of 62

what is a good trick to get even thickness after rolling out fondant if you cant find the rings for your big fondant roller??? Anybody have any suggestions?

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #38 of 62

This has been great! I think I knead to roll on over to the grocery store and grease the palms of the cashier with some dough to get the ingredients for some fondant! hmmmm this could become a great "couples" exercise getting the fondant to "feel right" icon_lol.gif Thanks to all who have responded to this post. What a great support group!
Have a happy cake day! icon_biggrin.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:11pm
post #39 of 62

My best tips are to smooth the fondant with a smoother before I pick it up with the rolling pin..
My second bit of advice would be to touch it as little as possible with hands...use a tool/smoother when possible..
I use PS to roll out with...I use McCalls brand fondant (Canada)

sable905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sable905 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #40 of 62

I seem to get alot of air bubbles in my fondant I believe it's from kneading it. Any ways to avoid them?

Delicate-Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delicate-Lee Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:31pm
post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sable905

I seem to get alot of air bubbles in my fondant I believe it's from kneading it. Any ways to avoid them?

I use a small pin on an angle to pop the air bubble and then smooth over it to keep the air out.

My biggest tip and i work with fondant all the time, 6 days a week haha is practise makes perfect!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:46pm
post #42 of 62

using too much crisco can ruin your fondant! If using crisco to roll out... use spairingly!

Keep fingernails very short!

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:01pm
post #43 of 62

I hardly ever use MMF due to the fact that I get tiny hard pieces of something in the dough. It must be hardened sugar, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. The first time I made MMF it came out perfect. Haven't been successful with it since... keep getting these little hardended pieces in it. They seem like the sugar has crystallized. Anybody know what I am doing to cause this? I now buy the fondant, but it really cuts into the profits. Help, anyone???

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:37am
post #44 of 62

foots2 - on the bottles, the sugar will keep cooking a bit when you take it out of the microwave, so watch the color closely and wear some kind of heatproof gloves if you can so you don't burn yourself!

Can't wait to see the pictures! icon_wink.gif

Oh - and with fondant I always wear gloves - no color on my hands and keeps me from getting figerprints in the fondant!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:59am
post #45 of 62

Suzian -- that baby cake is just darling. Did you design that yourself or did you find a pattern somewhere? The color is just perfect. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Lilybird

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:00pm
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

I hardly ever use MMF due to the fact that I get tiny hard pieces of something in the dough. It must be hardened sugar, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. The first time I made MMF it came out perfect. Haven't been successful with it since... keep getting these little hardended pieces in it. They seem like the sugar has crystallized. Anybody know what I am doing to cause this? I now buy the fondant, but it really cuts into the profits. Help, anyone???

Did you use a different brand of powdered sugar OR marshmallows the first time? I have learned that all brands are NOT the same. I prefer even brand name marshmallows-the others seem to melt differently and leave little clumps and the ps does too. I rarely sift-hate taking the time and with Domino I don't have to, but with walmart or kroger brand, sifting is a must!!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #47 of 62

Also, I was wondering if maybe you kept it in the microwave just a little too long? Someone pointed out earlier it keeps cooking a little after it's taken out..

I don't really work with fondant yet, so I'm not positive, that's just a little guess.

Good luck! I hope you can start using it again.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #48 of 62

I sometimes roll mine out on a piece acetate or vinyl from the fabric department. It's clear so I mark on the counter the size I need and place the sheet over it. Then I just flip it onto the cake.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:56pm
post #49 of 62

I use the shiny side of freezer paper to roll out my fondant. I have to use very little crisco and if I don't want any distortion, I use a rotary cutter (with a self-healing mat under the freezer paper!) to cut my pieces and then brush a tiny bit of water on the fondant, apply to cake and peel off the paper. This has saved me a ton on headaches!! Also, I only use Wilton fondant for figures and dummy cakes (it's cheaper at 40% off) and I use Satin Ice on real cakes!

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:06pm
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I use the shiny side of freezer paper to roll out my fondant. I have to use very little crisco and if I don't want any distortion, I use a rotary cutter (with a self-healing mat under the freezer paper!) to cut my pieces and then brush a tiny bit of water on the fondant, apply to cake and peel off the paper. This has saved me a ton on headaches!! Also, I only use Wilton fondant for figures and dummy cakes (it's cheaper at 40% off) and I use Satin Ice on real cakes!

What a great idea about buying the Wilton (40%off) for non-edibles!!!

sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:09pm
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

I have noticed, that this happens to me if I put too much ps in my bowl when mixing. Seems like the shortening on the bottom of the bowl mixes with the ps that isn't quickly absorbed into the marshmallows becomes very small dry pieces. HTH!!

sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:18pm
post #52 of 62

I am so thrilled to see this post this morning!!! Because I actually had a fondant type question to post...
What type of surface have you found (or do you use) to roll your fondant out on? My countertops are all textured just a little, but it makes rolling out (and lifting off) a nightmare!!

I have a tip that I found out the hard way this past weekend...the weather here in AR is so unpredictable, that you never know how things are going to turn out. So when making my MMF, I think that I overcompensated for the rainy weather by adding too much ps. and I kneaded for 1 1/2 hours, adding small amount of shortening and nothing helped. I put the MMF in my KA, added a tad of water and some corn syrup and let the machine knead away!! It helped, not perfect but well enough to be able to cover Lightning McQueen in my photos....whew, what a save!!

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #53 of 62

I roll my fondant out on one of those flexible pie dough rolling mats (not sure of the techinical term for it). Had it for years and I think I bought it through current. Believe my mom had one years ago from tupperware. I also use powdered sugar to roll out the fondant. If I get a minor tear or need to mend a seam, I use a little of Wilton's clear vanilla and rub my finger over the area to blend - usually works well for me.

Haven't tried making MMF yet. I have bought both Choco-Pan and Satin Ice fondant with very little problems.

Questions to others: When placing fondant accents on fondant, I use the vanilla again - works great. But what do you use when placing fondant on buttercream? The first time I did this I just used buttercream as the "paste" but didn't get the effect I wanted.

Great posts! Thanks for all the advice!

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #54 of 62

thanks for keeping this thread going! I have a question: what is the best way to determine the amount of fondant needed?? http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/fondantamounts.cfm
The Wilton chart states ounces - how do I translate to a recipe? Is there a way to roughly say using 2 lbs of PS will give you X ounces of fondant? Does this make any sense to anyone? If I wanted to cover a 14, 10, and a 6 that is 4 inches each tier, how many recipes of MMF or Toba Garrett's would I need???? Which of the 2 is easier? After all the posts about the MMF, I am afraid of it.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:10pm
post #55 of 62

mjpbmf - I just use a little bit of water on the back of my fondant decorations to stick them on buttercream.

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:46pm
post #56 of 62

DCHall - Thanks! I will try that next time!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sable905

I have been very successful removing air bubbles from fondant using a kneading technique we use to prepare clay for turning on a pottery wheel. It is called wedging and it does take a little time but I have had success in removing air bubbles from very airy fondant. Here is you tube video on how to wedge. It really does help if you have problems with a batch of fondant having to many air pockets.

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:07pm
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

what is a good trick to get even thickness after rolling out fondant if you cant find the rings for your big fondant roller??? Anybody have any suggestions?

Alton Brown suggested using flat rubber bands on your rolling pin (I think it must have been a show about pie crusts). Just build up with rubber bands until you get the thickness you are shooting for and you don't need to buy the little rubber rings. You know how he is about spending money on uni-taskers icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:26pm
post #59 of 62

Okay...

Who can tell me how to get perfectly cut/smooth edges when trimming fodant aroud the base of the cake? I ALWAYS have to use a border to cover my flaws icon_confused.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:33pm
post #60 of 62

thank you Mia so much!!!! I remember that show now!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%