What Do You Think?

Decorating By cakeladyofga Updated 28 Jun 2005 , 4:59pm by briansbaker

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 5:03am
post #1 of 21

Hey everyone, I've got a small problem. I made a cake for a friend at work a few weeks ago. You might have seen the photo(very small). It's 18in round w/spiderman (she let me use her pan) on top. I told her I'd charge her what it cost me for the large pan ($25). When my DH delivered the cake she loved it so much she gave me $35. Fast foward to this week. She asked me to do another cake, this time with stawberry shortcake. When she asked how much she would owe for the cake I told her I'd do it for $35. She looked at me horrorfied (sp?). She then tells me she already paid for the cake circle. (Which cost me $10 from the cake supply store.) I then tell her "fine I'll do it for $25" icon_mad.gif but before she walks away I tell her I want the cake circle back. She walks away in a huff. First what do you think I should charge for that size cake? My wilton book says a 18in round feeds 110 ppl and the charcter pan feeds 12. I was thinking $45-55. Second, shound I have asked for the cake circle back? I haven't see a cake circle that big anywhere except for at that store and I don't want to "lose" it. Am I makin' a mountian out of a mole hill?? TIA

20 replies
chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 5:10am
post #2 of 21

Well, I don't think people realize how much the INGREDIENTS for a cake cost. They think they can get a cake at Wal-Mart or Kroger for $10, so that's what you should charge, too. WRONG!

I know that I told my sister that I do a cake for her at cost. When I went through my recipes, the cake and supplies cost me $20. I would have easily charged $40 for the cake to anyone other than family.

When I do discounted cakes for family and friends, I have NO PROBLEM asking for my re-usable supplies back. My thinking is that if I'm helping them keep thier costs down by giving them a discount, then they can help me keep my costs down by returning my supplies.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 5:10am
post #3 of 21

I would definetly want my cake circle back. That has to be agreed. I would do the cake for $25 because you already said $25. Any other time I would charge $30 or more for that cake. I did a Strawberry Shortcake (pic in my gallery) on a 14" cake. After all the decorations I would normally charge around $30. I would stay firm on getting the cake circle back!

cakeladyofga Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 3:09am
post #4 of 21

thanks chris and TC. Next time I wont change the price of my cake. We'll see if she gives me back the cake circle. DH delivered the cake to her today.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 21

I would also want my cake circle back. When I do a cake as a Gift or as a Favor I always Ask for everything back.. I have even gone as far as to type up in my note pad a list of my supplies that MUST be RETURNED to me for wedding cakes. I also let them know that if they are not returned or if they are broken they are Responsible for paying full cost to replace.I print this out and keep a copy and give them a copy and I have them sign it as well. as you know wilton disc. many items and you can not replace them now. but if nothing else you will get paid for them, I also have an inventory of my stuff and what I paid for it So no I dont think your making a too big of a deal of it. Our things are expensive and we want to keep them to reuse them when we can to help keep our cost down. Good Luck!
Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 21

I would charge at least $65.00 for this cake. But since it was for a friend I would say $50.00. The Strawberry Shorcake alone I would charge at least $30.00. There is a lot of detail in that pan! And an 18 inch round pan is really big! People just don't understand the work and time that goes into making certain kinds of cakes. I like to tell people that very detailed cakes(especially character pans) will cost more because they are more difficult and take a lot of time.

I would tell your neighbor nicely that you can use the cake circle again. I would also let her know that you were giving her a dicount this time. Maybe you could ask her to pass out some of your business card at the party in return! icon_wink.gif
traci

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 21

I dont think 65-70 is too much for this cake...and people DO NOT Realize what we put into these cakes icon_cry.gif

cakeladyofga Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:23am
post #8 of 21

Update: Today (sunday) I seen her at work. She also had the party early in the day. I asked her "how was the cake?". She just looked at me, rolled her eyes and said "it was JUST okay!" then walked away. icon_surprised.gificon_mad.gif I wanted to jump on her and pull her hair out! lol I used the same reciepes as I did on her cake before! Which she loved. icon_mad.gif I've decieded that I will not make any more cakes for her. She can go to wal-mart and eat there nasty tastin' cakes. icon_twisted.gif lol

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:37am
post #9 of 21

She sounds pretty immature. You gave her a good deal, and it doesn't take that much effort to at least be polite. You'd be better off without a customer like that. Don't let it bother you - just keep doing what you love!

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:37am
post #10 of 21

I can't stand people like that. You did her a favor and gave her a good price! There is nothing wrong with wanting your supplies back (they aren't cheap)! As far as the cake being (just ok), she was just being spiteful. Let her go and pay high prices for a not so great cake from now on. Don't let people like that get you down.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 21

I think I missed something... you charged her for the cake circle the first time, right (which you charged her 15 more than it cost you)? Does she (in her mind) think she bought it from you? If so, then her feelings may be that you've ripped her off. I think I may be confused...

On a side note, I, for one, would appreciate it if people could lay off the grocery store bakeries. That's my job and I find it to be more challenging than doing it out of home, because if I screw up on a cake, people are constantly watching. I am only limited to so many tips and supplies, so I have to be extra creative sometimes. There is no option of running out and getting more supplies or anything different, so it's just as challenging to me or more due to the fact that I'm limited and can't just "fix" it like I could at home.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 21

I would say, dont' do it next time, unless you're desperate. Your'e time and effort is worth more than 35.00.. It is the ignorance!!! very sad...

KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 21

Calejo,
I don't think anyone means it as a direct insult to you making the cakes in a store. Some of them are GORGEOUS. And I am sure you get lots of experience working there. But I have to agree with most and speaking from experience that the cakes ( thru no fault of yours) dont taste like home baked ones. I am sure they use certain mixes and icings that are not your choice. Therefore the nasty taste isn't your fault. I have seen some in stores that were truly beautiful and us hating store bought cakes is no reflection on you as a decorator & baker icon_smile.gif

Calejo Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

Calejo,
I don't think anyone means it as a direct insult to you making the cakes in a store. Some of them are GORGEOUS. And I am sure you get lots of experience working there. But I have to agree with most and speaking from experience that the cakes ( thru no fault of yours) dont taste like home baked ones. I am sure they use certain mixes and icings that are not your choice. Therefore the nasty taste isn't your fault. I have seen some in stores that were truly beautiful and us hating store bought cakes is no reflection on you as a decorator & baker icon_smile.gif

I'm aware of that... I realize if it was personal, my name probably would have been used at some point. But keep in mind that not all bakeries are created equal. Our cakes are so moist, I have problems keeping them together while icing them. I have just seen it in a lot of threads (not just this one) and I'm just getting a bit sick of hearing how bad bakery cakes are all the time. Mine aren't. I do both at home and in a bakery. Both have their challenges. Home-baked cakes often do tasted better, but I have tasted some dry, nasty home baked cakes too - not mine (oh no, never mine). icon_razz.gif

My point is, each have their perks. I agree that I would take a home-baked over store-bought for the flexibility and customizable things a home-baked cake has to offer. But, I wouldn't say anything against a bakery cake either, because the ones I've had were more convenient, cheaper and quite delicious.

KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:58pm
post #15 of 21

Yup, there is A LOT to be said for the convenience of bakeries as far as being able to just run in and grab a cake....also I suppose some of our resentment for them is based on the fact that some where that they are able to mass produce so quickly and cheaper...endangers our sales.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 21

I think it would be really fun working at a bakery! I enjoy looking at their different ideas and sometimes get inspiration from them. We have some bakeries around here that have really delicious cakes! Anyway...you will always find different kinds of customers...Some that are not real picky and some that are! That is why we are around...for those really picky people!!!!
Calejo, I bet you have learned a lot from working in a bakery!!! And if you ever decided to have your own business...you would have lots of experience! icon_smile.gif
traci

Calejo Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 21

Well, that's one of the reasons I work where I do. In 5 years, I plan to open my own bakery with custom made sweets. You'll be able to order your cakes any way you want them (with a few exceptions) and, yes they will be baked on location to ensure freshness.

cakeladyofga Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 21

OK everyone, just to clear things up a little bit. I stated 'wal-mart" cakes are nasty. I was speaking personally. I have never liked store brought cakes. Well, it's not the cake it's the icing. It sweet adn/or greasey for me. Even as a child I never like them. I have also seen very beautiful cakes and have gotten so many ideas from the major grocery stores in my area. My post was just asking the question should I have asked for the cake circle back? and how most people don't understand what it cost or the time to takes to make our cakes. As for the cake circle I did ask for it back when I did her first cake. She had no problem with that. Now when I asked for it back on the second cake she got upset. I was confused and angry over this. I just wanted to know should I have even asked for it back.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 4:10pm
post #19 of 21

iv worked at a grocery store bakery, a neighboorhood bakery, and i do cakes at home... and as much as i like my cake i bake.. i have to admit the grocery store cake was andstill is the best.... i think coz its always perfect.. unlike mine.. lol

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 21

I would love to experience working at a bakery.... I've seen some of those ladies whip up a decorated cake so fast it would make your head spin.... and talk about fast.... by the time I counted to three she had a rose made...lol...and it was perfect...
I would definetly ask for my stuff back..... especially if you were doing it as a favor to her..... and if you made the first cake for the price of the cake circle...then it's yours ....not hers..... she got the cake.....
I think that's how I understood it to be....lol...good grief....now I'm confused....it doesn't take much to confuse me these hot muggy days.
Happy baking,
cakegal

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 4:59pm
post #21 of 21

You know I have had my share of store bought cakes. (before I challanged myself to do it myself) My opinion, they are good. But they are not what you can make at home. You have the option to add this and that to your homemade cakes. It allows you to be creative with taste and character. I love homemade vs store bought. You know you get limited to the things you can get from a store bought cake.
P.S. I would have asked for the cake circle back. Some people just don't know how to be kind these days. Shake it off and keep up your good work. I think we all should make something like this on our front door.
" I have the right to refuse anyone with an attitude, has no idea what it takes to make a buck or two and last but not least all reusable baking supplies are due back next day or else icon_evil.gif .. LOL guess I could have came up with something more cheerful huh? hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%