Course Ii, Can It Be Self Taught?

Decorating By vanz Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 11:29pm by vanz

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:13am
post #1 of 15

I bought a Course II kit and I'm planning to go through it myself.... has anyone done this? please, I need your feedback before I do anything silly. thanks

14 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:17am
post #2 of 15

I dont think you will have any problems at all....I took all three classes but I studied the books before the classes even started and I felt like I was ahead of the gang .. just take your time and be patient and have fun !

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:18am
post #3 of 15

I think you should take the classes from Wilton if you can. This month the classes are bring a friend for free at Michael's. Next month is buy the kit get the class for free. I am a Wilton instructor and for many years couldn't get the flowers just right. Until after I took the class I sure could see how I was doing things wrong. In my last course 2 all the people were glad they took it because they didn't think they could get some of the flowers on their own. You do what you think its best for you! I am a quick learner but can learn more effectively if I am shown how.....
Not to mention the two differnt icings in this course there is alot to learn you can benefit from taking it.
Good Luck

RobLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobLee Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:20am
post #4 of 15

I'm sure you could probably teach yourself Course II - but I thought that was the most enjoyable and most useful of all three Wilton courses. The flowers are so fun, and most are relatively easy after you "get" them. I am a visual learner, so the actual class was definately worth it.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:29am
post #5 of 15

I agree psurrette!! I too am an instructor ... It seems I learn something new each time I teach a class .. just small things I overlooked or things I'll remember that will come back to me after I do them or start to do them for the class .. you can self teach yourself but to see it being done make a lot of difference ... sign up for a class if you can vanz .. you won't regret it!!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:05am
post #6 of 15

I have taught myself many things, but I don't think I could do a lot of those flowers without the one on one help from my instructor.
Borders were easy and basketweave, not too tough, but those flowers.......maybe it was because I didn't take course I....did they teach about "hold the bag at 45 degrees with the narrow end of the tip at 3:00" stuff in course I?
I know the instructions in the Wilton gumpaste book are just awful. I guess that's why they have instructors....

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:21am
post #7 of 15

Myself and a friend/coworker are starting course II tonight and I can't wait. I work ina bakery and have a great foundation so far, but we stay so busy that it's hard sometimes for the other decorators to help me advance in what I want to learn. Plus, they all seem to be "stuck in a rut" when it comes to day to day decorating.

I want to do some new things. Change things up a bit.

For me, hands on is always the best teacher. K'ly^,,^

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 15

as was said it depends on the way you learn. But to answer your question YES you can teach yourself. It may take longer, and be a little more frustrating, but it can be done.

I know cause i did it.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 15

I am a quick learner too, AND am registered for Wilton II. The reason? It's a night out without the kids, hubby, problems, etc. If you are a step ahead of everyone, great. I've been decorating for many, many years, but wanted to learn the correct way to do things. But along with learning some new things, I know our first class was fun! Fun and learning, what could be better!

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 15

Of the 3 wilton courses, 2 is the one that I KNOW I could not have taught myself. Those flowers were tricky (I had no experience in cakes whatsoever).

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 15

You can certainly do the course on your own, but there is nothing like instant feedback from everyone
while you are practicing (sp). I know I learned more from the stories the instructor told us about her own experiences and mis-haps than I did from the book. There were even a few ladies that had taken the course before and were there for a refresher course and shared their experiences also.It is good to practice ahead of time so when you get to class you can concentrate on the stuff that gives you problems. I am sure you will do good what ever you decide.
dolfin

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 15

there were a couple of girls in my course 3 class that taught themselves courses 1 and 2 and the cakes that they turned out were gorgeous! i tried to do it myself and couldn't figure it out... icon_cry.gif

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 15

I am self taught. I learned the Wilton Way 30 years ago through a mail order course that Wilton offered. And, about 5 years or so ago, I decided to refresh my skills and take the courses at Michael's. I'm glad I did. It was nice to share the experience with others. You pick up litlle tips and hints from other people that you wouldn't usually get on your own. There's always someone who can share an experience or an idea with the rest of the class. The two hours flies by faster that you can imagine.

I'm now a Wilton Method Instructor. There are times my students share ideas with me. So, I'm still learning from my Wilton Classes. If you have an opportunity, I would definitely take the classes.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 15

YES, You CAN teach yourself. As in anything worthwhile, Pratice, Patience, and Perserverance is key. thumbs_up.gif

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 15

thank you guys for all your replies! definitely inspires me more to keep going.. whatever I decide to do I know my CC friends are there to help, right?

keep it up folks......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%