New Cake Added - So Glad It's Over With!

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 25 Jun 2005 , 3:32pm by MrsMissey

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 3:56am
post #1 of 9

I just uploaded a new cake - it's the slumber party one. While this one wasn't as much of a headache as the Noah's Ark cake I made a while back, I am SO glad it's done!

This one ws for a neighbor. Her daughter had been over about a month ago, and the 2005 Wilton book was on my coffee table opened to the Christmas section...the page with the mom & dad in bed holding candy canes with "visions of sugarplums". She decided that she wanted me to make her cake for her birthday....

First - I got screwed on the cost. Long story short, thanks to a meddling neighbor (who used to own a coffee shop/bakery) I got $25 for the cake (It's 9.5"x10"). My neighbor and I have been friends for 8-9 years, so the money wouldn't have bothered me if this cake wasn't such a PITA to make.

Basically - I had HUGE "headboard problems". The cake in the Wilton book has a cookie headboard covered with color flow. Luckily, I tried to start on the headboard on Monday, so I had plenty of time to break 4 headboards! Finally, I broke down last night and made it out of chocolate. (costlier, but much sturdier). Then I couldn't get the headboard to stay straight...and each time it fell apart, I remelted the edge and made the headboard shorter and shorter.

Then - I messed up the faces on the cookies and 1 hour before the cake was due found that my boys ate my "backup plain cookies" so I couldn't even try to make new faces. But I figured that I wasn't getting paid enough to start a whole new batch of cookies, even if there WAS enough time to redo them.

However, the Marissa started jumping up and down yelling "I LOVE IT!" when I dropped it off (and she is one PICKY little girl), so I felt better about it <grin>

I'm just glad it's over!

8 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

Adorable, wonderful job, seriously underpaid, but then you knew that! Looks absolutely fabulous, I can see why she loved it!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 4:13am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Squirrelly -

hey - I noticed you don't have a "photo tab" on your replies or in your profile.....didn't you used to have a TON of cakes uploaded to the galleries?

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 4:28am
post #4 of 9

You did an incredible job! I guess it is live and learn with the pricing... I've only made a few cakes, and 90% of them I've seriously undercharged too icon_sad.gif I hope you get some more business from the cake at least.

Melissa icon_razz.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 4:32am
post #5 of 9

Heehee, not me, I have never been one to post many photos. Partly because up until last Christmas, I didn't have a digital camera and much of the time had to rely on others to take pictures, which means much of the time I didn't get any, haha. I have never been able to attach photos to the Wilton site, no matter how hard they tried to help- there are a couple of us with that problem.
I do post some pictures on www.r-bdesigns.com. But posting pictures has never been my thing, having pictures taken of me, even worse, haha!
Hhmn, does that make me a "photophobic"? Haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 4:36am
post #6 of 9

You know Melissa, I think most of us seriously undercharge. I am not sure if that shows a lack of confidence or what the reason is. But when you spend all of those hours making these cakes that folks just cannot buy at the bakery, you really have to consider that when pricing a cake.
I wouldn't think twice about charge $50 or $60 for that cake and still, that would really be undercharging because the cake is specialized custom work.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 4:41am
post #7 of 9

oo my goodness! that is adorable! thanks for sharing!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 10:37am
post #8 of 9

That is a really cute cake, I'm sorry it was such a PITA, but it turned out really well! Janice

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry it gave you so much trouble...but it really did turn out cute! I'm sure she was tickled!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%