Doweling A Wedding Cake That Bride Will Transport 1.5 Hours?

Decorating By kathik Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 12:36pm by DianeLM

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 9

I have my first wedding cake in a few weeks and the bride is picking it up rather than having me deliver it. She doesn't want to pay the extra expense, and yes she has signed in the contract that I am not responsible for anything that happens once it leaves my door! icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I plan to put it on a masonite circle and I want to center dowel it for the best security, but I don't know the best way to do this for her. My initial thoughts are to make the dowel long enough to stick out, like suggested in Dede Wilson's book, and then when they set it up, they can remove it and then have the top decorations (fondant daisies) on a small cake circle for them to place on top. My worry here is that I feel like they aren't getting a completed cake this way. Yes, I can make your wedding cake, some assembly required. icon_rolleyes.gif

Is there a better way to do this? I am attaching a photo of the cake she wants me to make. It will be iced in buttercream and have fondant flowers.

Thanks,
Kathi
LL

8 replies
pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sure if you just call her and tell her you wish to put a dowel through the cake she would understand that the dowell is for the support. AND since you aren't delivering, this is how you would have done it anyway, for the safety of the cake.

Leashlar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leashlar Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 9

i agree, i dont think she will mind condsidering she has chosen to pick it up

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #4 of 9

Another perfect cake for SPS. No dowels, sturdy, and secure.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 9

You could trim the dowel so it's shorter than the cake. Then, they'll only have to deal with it when they start cutting. This only applies if they're planning to serve the top tier. This is how I deliver most of my tiered cakes.

I would recommend topping your masonite board with a piece of 1/2 inch foamcore into which you'll drive the dowel. You can also do 2 dowels for extra peace of mind (no spinning!) Just be sure you clear the support dowels under each tier.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 9

the other thing i would is refridgerate that cake,
cold cake delivers easier then room temp cake. Give her a piece of non skid matt to go under the cake. And place the flowers on the cake. Maybe send a few extras incase there is some breakage. And a small disposible bag of icing, to attach flowers if needed.

And next time build the delivery cost into the cake. Cause no bride should be picking up her own cake

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:38am
post #7 of 9

leahs, what is SPS? I thought you always had to dowel a tiered cake.

DianeLm, How do I attach the foamcore to the masonite? I thought I would be hammering the doweling into the masonite itself. Is this not accurate?

peg818, I already planned on sending those items. The bride is from out of state and is having her reception 1.5 hours away from me. Due to the excessive time for delivery I explained there would be a charge. She didn't want to pay that fee, but preferred to pick it up herself the night before the ceremony, since she will be in my town anyway. I'm not sure how I would build that into the price of my cake, unless I increased the price per slice charge, and then other brides would be paying less per slice, etc...

Kathi

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:54am
post #8 of 9

The SPS system replaces dowels. The Search button will provide you with several great discussions.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

leahs, what is SPS? I thought you always had to dowel a tiered cake.

DianeLm, How do I attach the foamcore to the masonite? I thought I would be hammering the doweling into the masonite itself. Is this not accurate?

peg818, I already planned on sending those items. The bride is from out of state and is having her reception 1.5 hours away from me. Due to the excessive time for delivery I explained there would be a charge. She didn't want to pay that fee, but preferred to pick it up herself the night before the ceremony, since she will be in my town anyway. I'm not sure how I would build that into the price of my cake, unless I increased the price per slice charge, and then other brides would be paying less per slice, etc...

Kathi

Kathi, you'll never get a dowel through masonite. I just glue or tape the foamcore to the masonite and cover the whole thing with foil or whatever decorative covering. The masonite provides support while the foamcore gives the dowel something to penetrate.

Regarding delivery charges - My policy is, delivery is free within 20 miles of my address for large cakes. Anything over 20 miles is $3/mile each way. Small cakes that can be transported by the customer yield a $25 minimum delivery charge within the first 20 miles, then $3/mile after that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%