Make Your Own Cheap Fondant Lifter

Decorating By frankandcathy Updated 23 Aug 2013 , 4:56am by teaspoonofsugar

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #61 of 84

They make heated craft knives???? I have issues cutting foamcore with an Xacto.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #62 of 84

Mine is by Walnut Hollow its in a great see thru storage container and contains other hot stamps and points. The tips heat up to 750 degrees. The main unit is a pastel green and pink (they make a manly dark red for you guys out there). Its in the Wood Carving area.

Tip: I used my 50% off coupon at Michaels. Sign up for their e-mail and they send you 50% off coupons more often than what you see in the Sunday paper. And you can go to their website to get coupons (when they have them). I admit this week I have used one each day of the week to get some of the higher $ items.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #63 of 84

Thanks wrightaway777! THat's awesome! I have to look for it!! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #64 of 84

I have that also and it cuts like BUTTER icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

LauraLanier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLanier Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #65 of 84

Wow, I never knew anything about a fondant lifer, it sounds great I am going to Micheal's this afternoon, thanks so much for sharing.

wrightway777 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #66 of 84

Ok heres an answer to one of my questions earlier in the post. The foam core is a huge piece (40in by 60in by 3/16"). Its definitely $13.99 I asked the framing guy today why so much...he said it was b/c it is acid free (due to the whole photo blah blah..). You are going to notice right away that the poster part of this type foam core is a little different (its not the slick type)...so make sure your hands arent oily.
Tip1: Have someone help you open the front door cause I fumbled with my keys and tried to open the front door without this huge thing not touching the dirty floor. I must have looked demented. Make sure you take a large clean vehicle to get this into (or wrap it in a bedsheet). Measure the inside first before leaving home. I have a hummer so it fit fine. Minivan would be good too.

Tip2: You may get lucky and be able to use a 50% off coupon...I wasnt, I asked the framing guy and he said I couldnt use it (mental kicked self in pants)...which I'm sure he phoned up front right away that I was a lady with a burning 50% coupon in hand. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone: my contact paper question...its going to overlap will that cause any trouble when rolling out the Fondant? Silly part of the question...does someone make contact paper 40+in wide?

LauraLanier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLanier Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #67 of 84

Well I went to Micheals and bought the 1.00 on sale foam board and me and my DH got in a argument over it working like I told him it would. He said it wouldn't support the weight. Well he was right, shhhh. I just read your post wrightway and it needs to be the one you are talking about and as far as the contact paper I don't think it would hurt because that is going to be the underside touching the cake and it is just but a little tiny bump, right? Thanks everyone for such great help and advice.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:34am
post #68 of 84

Love this idea really, really have to try it. I agree with the last post. Ridges in the contact paper covering or ridges from rolling out over the rings shouldn't matter. The thickness of the fondant should be enough to make up for the little ridges on the underside so they don't show through on the top. Boy, where have you guys been??!! I'm just realizing my Wilton teacher's method for doing fondant is probably causing 1/2 my problems and frustration. I watched aine2 video today, and a video on youtube, and felt like a moron. Am I the only one who learned how to fold the fondant under the bottom of the cake, rather than smoothing down the sides and cutting right at the edge of the cake? Anyway, off topic! I love you guys for all the great ideas and can't wait to try fondant again!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:45am
post #69 of 84

icon_confused.gif visual here to, I'm soooooooooooooooooooo confused. Hahahahaha....

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #70 of 84

here's a pic for visual learners like me icon_biggrin.gif
LL

cre8ivemary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8ivemary Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #71 of 84

hmmm....This may be a stupid question,but will this work making a rectangular or square shaped lifter???icon_confused.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #72 of 84

Cool!

mcook1670 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:51am
post #73 of 84

I think it would work on any cake shape. I always roll mine out to something that should resemble a circle anyways icon_biggrin.gif I might give it a try.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:31am
post #74 of 84

I can't wait till tomorrow just to go to Michael's, get the supplies, and make one. I don't have a problem with 10" cakes and under, but larger are a challenge. Can't wait icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:02am
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Tip2: You may get lucky and be able to use a 50% off coupon...I wasnt, I asked the framing guy and he said I couldnt use it (mental kicked self in pants)...which I'm sure he phoned up front right away that I was a lady with a burning 50% coupon in hand. icon_biggrin.gif

I've bought that same foamcore before and they wouldn't let me use the coupon: since it comes from the framing dept. it's considered a "custom item" and those aren't eligible for the coupon. If you order a custom framing job, you have to use their weekly "50% Off Framing" coupon and not the 40% Off Any Item coupon....however the 50% Off Framing coupon is only good for a COMPLETE framing job, not just one element e.g. foamcore.

Does that make any sense?? icon_confused.gif Anyway can't hurt to try it, as coupon policies at different Michaels are known to vary!

Meanwhile, great tip, thanks for posting!

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #76 of 84

Okay, i'm going to get my hubby to make me one and I have some questions...what did you all use to draw the big circles? What were the sizes of each circle? Is there really a youtube video of all of this? What was the easiest way to apply the contact paper? Do you contact both sides?
Am I sounding too stupid yet? Thanks for this great idea!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #77 of 84

i actually have to visit a guy who makes business signs for a living this weekend...i am hoping that he can make a set of lifters for me using plexiglass

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #78 of 84

Thank you for posting the pics, sometimes I need to see it to understand it. icon_redface.gif

mcook1670 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #79 of 84

to draw circles you can use different size cake pans.. they are circles..lol

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #80 of 84

Over in the wilton forum they had someone there that had instructions for the Plexiglass version, I just pick mines up with my blue mat flip it over the cake and peel the mat off like Sharon does from Sugar Shack, works like a charm, then I can just fold my mat and put it away. I don't think I would have the space for this. It's a great idea though, maybe when I have my own shop one day and the space....

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #81 of 84

Great info, thank you all!!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:43pm
post #82 of 84

hi can you show it in your pictures thanks

wrightway777 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #83 of 84

For those of you still watching this topic. The best tool to draw large circles with is a giant circle beam compass by Dascopro. Its not found in the craft stores so head to the hardware store.
Heres a product search on google for picture and range of prices. Lowest is $4.71 on Amazon:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dascopro+giant+circle+beam+compass&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7312530750625606742&ei=UfKHTOWwM4e09QSbg4TeDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAg#

Its great to use when making your cake bases, and hidden cake rounds. The largest round it can make is 10ft in diameter but it doesnt stop there....you can replace the rod with a longer rod (pvc, etc).

teaspoonofsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teaspoonofsugar Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:56am
post #84 of 84

I love this idea but I have one question:

Covering the board with contact paper; surely that has to be done before the circles are cut otherwise it will be sealed shut and when you pick it up there'll be no hole in the middle to put the cake through?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%