Can I Put Citrus On A Weeding Cake?

Decorating By eleake Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm by Shelle_75

eleake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleake Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride who would like fresh lime slices on her wedding cake. ANy suggestions and pictures.

I have considered trying to candy the lime slices.

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 8

Unusual request! I would be worried about the juice dripping over everything!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 8

I would think that the slices would ozz juice onto the frosting. Good idea to candy (sugar crystal?)them first. Put them on last, on site, and they should be OK. You might want to sample this at home first, see if they leak.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 8

Experiment first before agreeing.

I would let the slices rest on paper towels to let some of the juice get absorbed out.

Then just put a layer of icing, whatever you are planning on using, on some wax paper and lay the slices on it.....and wait and see.

malaika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malaika Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8

I just did a cake with candied lemon slices as the deco. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture before the cake was delivered but it looked quite nice. I just took a lot of care to dry off the slices before I put them on the cake. In the Martha Stewart Weddings magazine there is a beautiful wedding cake done with clementine slices..check that out, it may help.

Good luck!

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

I would think that the slices would ozz juice onto the frosting. Good idea to candy (sugar crystal?)them first. Put them on last, on site, and they should be OK. You might want to sample this at home first, see if they leak.

That seems like such a good idea. And I think it would be much prettier on the cake than just plain lime slices.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

i am actually doing a grooms cake with limes and lemons on top. they said i could do whatever i wanted with the citrus fruit, they weren't picky. so i was thinking of doing some whole limes and lemons and some candied slices. my question, is there a way to candy the whole ones too, so that they match the slices?

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 8

Wow I have never thought of lemon slices on a cake before, but that sounds cool! Make sure to post a pic of it when you're through, I'd love to see it.

I don't really have many suggestions for fresh fruit slices, but maybe they would go with marzipan? I have seen several cool cakes with marzipan fruit on it and I always think it looks so delicate.

Good luck with whichever way you go!

Shelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%