How Long Will Chocolate Last?

Sugar Work By FallenCupid Updated 23 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm by candyladyhelen

FallenCupid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FallenCupid Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

I need some help with chocolate making.
My wedding is coming up and I was planning on making chocolate for take home gifts. I may be going at it the cheap way and buying the chocolate discs to melt and fill the molds, but I learned how to do it, and think it is fun and kind of personalizes the gift.

According to my Wilton Candy Making book, it says the chocolates will last 2 - 3 weeks. Is this right? Or could they be made further in advance?

5 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 6

Longer. Much longer. Store somewhere dry, not in the fridge.

FallenCupid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FallenCupid Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 6

They also mentioned not to put them in the fridge.
Just curious, but what happens when they are put in there?

Basically I want to know when I should start making chocolates for an October 14th wedding.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

Today is the 19th. You can make the chocolates any time you're ready. You don't want to put them in the fridge because they can bloom or be attacked by moisture and condensation. If you wrap them tightly and keep them in a dark, cool--not cold place. They'll be fine.

anoccasionalchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoccasionalchocolate Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 6

It really depends on what is inside them. If you have cream because of a ganache I would say 2 weeks. But if it is just chocolate, the chocolate I use has a 1 year shelf life.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 6

It's the filling that makes chocolates perishable. But if you are just doing molding chocolates, they will last months & months. Even up to a year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%