Opportunity Knocking But....

Business By makincakeintx Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm by Cancook

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #1 of 7

not sure about how to cost it out or even what they exactly need!!!

A local staffing agency contacted me about setting up a training class to teach a few begining decorating skills to a group of their workers.
The staffing agency has been contacted by a bakery firm that wants them to supply temp decorators.
They want smooth icing techniques, piping basics, and roses. Sounds like a full course 1 to me.
Having never worked as a cake decorator anywhere (only a teacher) I have no idea of what basic skills would be needed.
Can any bakery decorators out there help with this?
Here are the other basic questions I have..
would they need to know how to color and fill bags?
What would I charge for a class like this...
I thought I would do 3 hrs, 1 for icing and bag filling and color, 1 for basic piping, and 1 for roses.
Does this sound crazy..am I just craZZZZy for thinking anyone can get begining basics in 3 hours!!!!!
Agency will have all supplies and location. Probably 5 or 6 students at a time. Class will be only as new decorators are needed so nothing consistant at this point.
Just at a loss here and any guidance would be so great.
Sorry its long but excitement takes over and off I go.

Thanks,
Mel,

6 replies
jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #2 of 7

interesting; I've never heard of an agency that did that. Will they pay you by the hour or a flat fee per student? I'd figure out which way would pay you more & go w/that.

If you have time, go for it!

Cancook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cancook Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:25am
post #3 of 7

makingCake, I am not a professional baker and fairly new to decorating but I have got the basics at Michael's store through Wilton. There they teach course 1,2 and 3. Go in one of them and ask questions like you did here expecting not telling that you will be teaching but as if you would be learing.
Also, take it! Do you have fear? So does everyone that it is on the 'top' today...the difference is that even though they felt fear they keep on going. Don't miss this opportunity and you will be learning as you teach...I can tell you something...my teacher was good with cream icing but fondant...and she still there!
Good luck and God bless

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:25am
post #4 of 7

honestly, these are questions you should put to the agency. Especially for this type of training.

I mean you could show them a lot of "basic" stuff but what is the decorating company truly looking for?

if it's only for smoothing, piping and roses then that's all you should teach. But, if they want more of the basics coloring, bag filling and such then you should get the full answers from the agency.

As for the pricing it out, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.

Wish I could be of more help.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:45am
post #5 of 7

I think this is such an awesome opportunity and I am very envious that you get to do this!!

It's not unusual for a temp agency to conduct training for employees for a potential employer. Whether it's computer classes or decorating classes, it's part of the service they provide (I had a relative who ran a temp agency, so I kinda got the inside scoop on the stuff she did).

Charge them by the hour, not by the student. The temp agency is hiring you to train potential employees. This is SO different from a group of ladies signing up at Michael's. And "private consultants/trainers" have a rate rate range of $30-75 per hour.

Agree with the above post.... bring these questions to the agency. If they don't know, they can contact their client to find out what skills he is expecting. If they have no idea what you're talking about (because, come on ... they are NOT decorators and you are talking a foreign language to them!), see if it is possible for you to talk to the client direct to find out what the requirements are.

However, I would approach it with the assumption that these people don't even know what a decorating bag is. I have some experience dealing with temp agencies and hiring thru them. I may give them a list of skills that I "require" but their screening process appeared to be "are they breathing? Ok then .... they're qualified!" I would be prepared to lightly go thru the equipment with them .... you can clarify it with, "To be sure we're all using the same terms and equipment, let's make sure we all have everything..... " Then hold up a coupler and ask, "Does everyone have 2 couplers?" Hold up a bag and ask "Does everyone have a piping bag?" etc etc. This identifies the items without making anyone feel like an idiot for not knowing what you're talking about.

Again, because you have no idea on what kind of baking backgroun these people have (if any!), be careful using industry terms .... "crumb coat" comes to mind as an example. I tend to conduct training sessions in a light manner: "It's time to crumb coat. Hmmmm ..... 'Crumb Coat' ..... now that's a term you only hear in the baking industry. Who can tell me what that is?"

I envy you this assignment!!!! Have fun with it!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:22am
post #6 of 7

Oh my gosh just the type of info I was looking for. I am not to worried about the training/teaching part I have been teaching for a bit over a year so somewhat comfortable with that icon_lol.gif

I also have worked with temps before and do understand the knowledge level of most sent out to the job site.. breathing, yep..good to go.

Just unsure of the pay scale and the per student vs per hour stand.

Indydebi thanks for your information and insight on this topic.

Well guys I have till early next week to work on a proposal for this so I better get moving. Never even sent a proposal out before...this should be interesting.

Thanks to all for the info and help and I will take any more information anyone wants to pass along. I think I will need it.

Cancook-are you sure you didn't take classes from me! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks!!
Mel,

Cancook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cancook Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 7

Makingcake, I live in Canada...does that answer your question?? LOL
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%