Well Preserved Ewwww

Decorating By msmeg Updated 25 Jun 2005 , 3:35am by debsuewoo

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 13

I just got an email from my sister she cleaned out the basement refridgerator ( that her dh mostly uses for beer) and in the back was a storage container she had been looking for. in it were tea cakes she had made 18 months ago. They were fairly dehydrated but no mold on the frosting or cakes and no she did not taste them..EWw.

Who knew they could keep that long ???EEEEWWWWW

12 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 13

See, now if she one wouldn't eat tea cakes after 18 months, why would one want to eat a layer of wedding cake after a year? That's just as big an Eeeew as the tea cakes!

Debbi

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 13

I totally agree debsuewoo... I tell all my clients to contact me and I'll do them a small 6" cake for their first wedding anniversary.. there is no way you'd get me to take a bite of any cake that's been in a freezer for a year! *ack*

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 13

I am sorry to have to disagree here....no I wouldnt have tasted the ones she found only because it was not in the freezer....I have had several pieces of different wedding cakes for friends anniversary and ours of course they tasted absolutely great just as if it were cake from that day...perhaps it's how they are preserved.... but I know several people who have said their cake was great after a year.... and a couple that said no it was freezer burnt.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 13

As long as there was no freezer burn or other visible damage, I would eat cake from the freezer after a year, after all that is what the freezer was meant to do, preserve food.

Obviously the wrapping and packaging makes all the difference, no matter what we are storing or where we are storing it. Janice

debsuewoo Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 13

I guess it's all a matter of ones own personal taste. Speaking for myself only, I getr weirded out if I have eggs on their sell by date (even though I know they have at least a week left)..... I just can't imagine having to eat the top layer of my wedding cake after a year. I would do what ntertayneme would do, build in a 6 inch anniversarry cake into the cost of the wedding cake.

Debbi

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 13

I would try the cake too after a year if it were properly preserved. IE. well wrapped etc.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 13

I too think its all in how you wrap it. DH & I ate our top layer after the year was up and it was just as moist and delicious as if it was baked that day. We were actually shocked that it did taste good. I do have to say it was really really wrapped well with saran wrap, foil, cake box then more saran wrap, foil, garbage bag etc.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 13

There is a big difference between using refrigerated eggs after their sell date, (no telling how long they were in storage before they were even packaged for sale!), and a cake that has been frozen properly. Thats MHO
Janice

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 13

I am glad your sister did not try something that had just been in the refrigerator for over a year.

I did want to add though that last year I made a 50th anniversary cake for my in-laws. They saved the top cake in the freezer, wrapped in saran wrap and inside a tupperware container, for their anniversary this year. My mother-in-law called to tell us that the cake tasted just as good this year as it did last year when it was fresh.

I do think the freshness may depend somewhat on how much you open and close the freezer that the cake is in and, of course, some freezers just work better than others.

C

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 13

Too funny! I don't think I would have tried them either!! My husband and I did try our cake on our one year. It wasn't too bad. The icing wasn't as good as on our wedding but the cake tasted pretty good!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 3:18am
post #12 of 13

Well, it won't kill you and likely won't even make you sick, but the thing is, cake breaks down after a month in the freezer. After two months it is more noticable and so on. Some folks are less sensitive to the changes than others are but there is actually a measurable deterioration. Likely with cake mix cakes it is less because of all of the chemical preservatives in them. Fruit cake has the longest life, about 6 months in the freezer. I have customers and friends swear the cake was every bit as good - from scratch cakes. I use butter and cream in my cakes and icing. Personally I wouldn't want to eat them. Doesn't matter to me how they were boxed or wrapped.
The larger the cake, the better it holds up to freezing.
This is an old tradition, not necessarily a good one, in my opinion, haha. I am in favour of a fresh cake for the first anniversary or the first child's christening - which this cake is also traditionally saved for.
Hugs Squirrely Cakes

debsuewoo Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 3:35am
post #13 of 13

Good Eats and a history lesson to boot! I love this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%