Hmm Ads.....

Decorating By tiptop57 Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 12:12am by Janette

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 21

I have always been a firm believer that change is good......wellllllllll

When I first saw the Ads by Google on CC I thought, "Great idea, they are not to annoying and maybe I should try them for my blog."

Well now, I am getting those Google ads attached to my thread answers right in the middle and I'm just not diggin' it anymore. Anyone else seeing these things popping up on your threads?

20 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 21

I agree. They don't bother me on the sides, but they are annoying in the threads...jmo! I understand why they are there, but still annoying.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 21

YES!! And it is making me crazy! I don't mind them being on the side of the page, but right in the middle of the thread really is annoying!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 21

Guys, just arrow down or page down past them. It's not like they're pop ups or something.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4112423.html#4112423

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 21

Yep, same here. But let's keep this in perspective. icon_smile.gif

Donations haven't been keeping pace with the necessary hardware requirements, etc......

Placing advertisments was the only way to add more servers since there's no charge for CC membership.

Jackie & Heath are between a rock and a hard place to keep this site fast AND free.

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 21

i find them quite annoying but every time i just think they are there for a reason and deal with it.

but i hear what you are saying

tiptop57 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 21

Naw everyone, don't get me wrong. I don't want to turn this into a crab fest. I do understand why they are here just like the annoying elevator music....but ugh....I thought I was seeing things......

"I'm still going to look into them for my blog."

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 21

Same thing I just posted on the other Ads complaint:

Hey all, I know that they are annoying, but they are trying to keep this site up and running and selling advertisement is the best way without making us pay!

Stephanie

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 21

They are driving me crazy. I started a thread on it in the suggestions forum before this was posted... but no one ever looks all the way down there. I was hoping we could at least get them moved to the top and bottom and not in the middle. It just totally throws me off to see them in the middle of the posts.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-398813.html

tiptop57 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 21

peacockplace, I always go to the unanswered threads, so I must have missed your suggestion and I didn't see the other thread before I posted my own.......sorry everyone.

I'm thinking now that maybe the posts are the best place, cuz I really wouldn't want them in the gallery!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

peacockplace, I always go to the unanswered threads, so I must have missed your suggestion and I didn't see the other thread before I posted my own.......sorry everyone.

I'm thinking now that maybe the posts are the best place, cuz I really wouldn't want them in the gallery!

No big deal. thumbs_up.gif If they have to be in the posts, I get that... I just wish they were at the top and bottom instead of the middle.

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 21

i COMPLETELY agree. the ads are super annoying. it actually makes me fear if these ads don't work for CC, the next step will be pop-ups... icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif

i really don't know what i'll do then... i CAN'T STAND pop-ups... i will have to look elswhere for my cake fix if it comes to that. icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 21

I was a little taken aback by them at first and they are a little ridiculous but hey Jackie and Heath are doing what they can.

It like complaining when you are poor and can barely make the rent, that Mom and Dad choose to work at McDonalds. At least it's paying the bills. Why make them feel bad about it, right?

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 21

I don't think that they will put them on the bottom of the threads. The point of ads is to get attention, and you get attention by being annoying. Granted, the other way to get attention is by having good quality ads, but the ones that want to be on boards tend to be the quantity, not quality type.

I understand, of course, but I wish it didn't have to be. I hate to say it, but I agree that it might turn people off from the board, makes it too commercialized.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 21

They are going away, its just something we were testing out.. we don't like them in the middle of the threads either.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #16 of 21

Yay! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 21

These kinds of intrusive ads are usually used on websites where the ads are seen only by guests, and are mercifully not there for registered, logged-in members. I always thought they were kind of a deterrent to using a website as a guest.

I'm glad these are going away.

~ Sherri

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:59pm
post #18 of 21

Well, if everyone who posted on here donated five dollars... to the site, i'm sure it would sure go a long way to getting rid of the ads. It cracks me up to see people on here with a thousand plus posts and haven't even thought about spending a few bucks to support the same site that they spend hours and hours looking at. jmho.... I know not everyone can spare much but even a dollar or two would help.
Jen

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:00am
post #19 of 21

AS I'm reading this. People are stating that the ads are in the middle of their thread. I see them after the point that has the PM, Pic... buttons before where it states the day & time of thread posted. So I personally consider this either at the top or bottom.
Ignore them y'all. This is a no whine zone.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #20 of 21

Does CC get money by us clicking them or do we actually have to buy something from them for CC to make the money? I wouldn't buy from the random sites it posts from, and a lot of them are spamming pages. At least on other sites they are. If they get money just by me clicking them, I will spend all day doing it if they are just on the sides. icon_smile.gif If they're the inbetween ones, I'd rather see great deals from the CC store.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:12am
post #21 of 21

When I noticed the side ads I clicked on them and checked them out. It's the least I could do if they are supporting CC. I did find a site I put into my favorites.

I too didn't care for the ads between post but thought it was something they were trying out. I figure they weren't going to keep them.

Tiptop, your thread is only what 98% of the members were thinking so don't feel like you did something wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%