Making Jello Pudding Thicker For A Filling...

Decorating By CakeMakerNewbie Updated 29 Jan 2014 , 5:21pm by swonder

CakeMakerNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerNewbie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 22

Okay, here is another posting (I might wear out my welcome here if I keep asking questions!) icon_wink.gif

I am making a jello pudding filling for a cake and I was wondering can I add a small packet of plain gelatin to the pudding mix to make it firmer? I'm afraid that just by itself it will be too soft/loose for a filling. Or maybe add cream cheese to thicken it perhaps?

21 replies
CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 22

I use Whipping cream instead of milk. And in some instances I make the pudding according to the box and then fold in a package of cool whip. Then I make sure I refridgerate them until they firm up more.

I haven't had any problems with them being too loose so far. Infact just the other day I had to cut some of my own cakes(I can't handle doing that) and I was surprised that it actually held up even better than I thought it would.

C.C.C.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 22

Use less milk. Also, the cake will absorb some of the moisture from the filling.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 22

I use white chocolate instant pudding for a filling sometimes and just let it set up a bit, then it should be thick enough for a filling.........just make sure you keep the cake refrigerated. And, you can't possibly wear out your welcome here..........post all questions you have the people here are the friendliest and most helpful people you can find! icon_cool.gif

mom2kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2kay Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 22

cool whip and fold it in

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 22

I use heavy whipping cream instead of the milk. Then just whip it to the consistency I want. Works great, tastes delicious!

Edited to add....Here is the link to the recipe where I got the idea to use the heavy cream...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2425-Cheesecake-Mousse.html

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks for the link, NewbeeBaker!!! It sounds delicious! Do you use the 4 serving size package of instant pudding?

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 22

i use a smal box of pudding ans a pint of whipping cream. i put it all in my mixer and just whip it up until it thickens. stays nice and firm in cake

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele25

Thanks for the link, NewbeeBaker!!! It sounds delicious! Do you use the 4 serving size package of instant pudding?

Yes I use the 4 serving size=)

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 22

How many layers of filling will the 4oz work for?

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 22

its enough for a for a 3 layer 8 or 10inch cake

ericablondegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericablondegirl Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks for the post...was wondering the same thing myself.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 22

I also use the small box of Jello instant pudding and a pint of whipping cream and it is wonderful, especially the white chocolate Jello!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 22

I was taught in my first wilton class to mix in an 1/2 box of pudding mix to 4 containers of instant pudding for a quick and tasty filling, but I'm gonna have to try the whipping cream method!

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 22

Cool whip is fantastic with instant pudding! I usually make the instant pudding with 1 cup of milk and then add cool whip to my liking. Yes, that means I get to sample several times before I am done. Ha Ha.
I also like to use this combination when I am making a trifle. This mixture layered with pound cake and a fruit or pie filling. Everyone thinks you made the whole thing from scratch. Frozen pound cake, fruit filling, and pudding mix, what could be easier or look more elegant in a glass trifle bowl. I know I got a little off topic but before I started combining cool whip and pudding I never touched the stuff. Now whenever cool whip is on sale it goes in my cart.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:00pm
post #16 of 22

Cool whip is fantastic with instant pudding! I usually make the instant pudding with 1 cup of milk and then add cool whip to my liking. Yes, that means I get to sample several times before I am done. Ha Ha.
I also like to use this combination when I am making a trifle. This mixture layered with pound cake and a fruit or pie filling. Everyone thinks you made the whole thing from scratch. Frozen pound cake, fruit filling, and pudding mix, what could be easier or look more elegant in a glass trifle bowl. I know I got a little off topic but before I started combining cool whip and pudding I never touched the stuff. Now whenever cool whip is on sale it goes in my cart.

joelni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joelni Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 22

If you add a thin layer of jam to your cake before you add the filling it will stop the filling being absorbed so much into the cake.

jenntatum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenntatum Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:11pm
post #18 of 22

I also heard that you can use a thin layer of buttercream!

CakeMakerNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerNewbie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 22

Wow! It seems that cool whip is the way to go! Thanks everyone!! thumbs_up.gif

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #20 of 22

Ok, I think I am going to try the pudding filling this weekend. Do I need to refrigerate the cake if it has a pudding filling?

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 5:44pm
post #21 of 22

Yes I would. This way you don't have to worry about the creams breaking down as fast.

But I also wait til the last possible moment to fill and decorate it. That way it doesn't have to be refridgerated for too long.

C.C.C.

swonder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swonder Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 5:21pm
post #22 of 22

Buy Dream Whip whipped topping mix.  There is a recipe on or in the box for "fluffy frosting" made with Jello Instant Pudding.  I've been using it for years and it always works.  I use the White Chocolate pudding/Dream Whip combo as a topping for lemon cheesecake.  I'm tellin' ya.  S'good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%