To Bake In Layers Or Not...

Decorating By CakeMakerNewbie Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm by CakeMakerNewbie

CakeMakerNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerNewbie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 5

I was told by a friend of mine who often makes cakes that when she uses the large square cake pan (12"), that she only uses 1/2 of the cake batter (enough for one layer) bakes it, than uses the other half. I'm guessing this is because she is worried about all that cake batter at once will cause a problem with baking correctly or over baking? Can anyone recommend a suggestion or comment on this? I don't want to have to spend double the amount of time in the kitchen if this is just her way of doing it, plus I only have one 12" pan and I don't want to bake half, let it cool, than remove it and bake the other half.
Also, I am baking at cake with this pan tonight for a baby shower on Sunday, can I cool the cake completely than wrap it in saran wrap and keep in the fridge until I decorate it Saturday?

Thanks~

P.S- I also posted this in the Cake disasters forum as well accidently

4 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 5

hmm...i wonder why she does that. icon_confused.gif i've never had a problem baking, using a 12"pan. if you want to be on the safe side, just use a heating core in the center. i use a flower nail turned upside down.
...and yes you can bake ahead and let it cool, then wrap it in plastic wrap and then either foil or, you can use a trash bag and tie it at the end. you just don't want any air to get to it. hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 5

You can fill your pan 1/2-2/3 full, use the baking strips, no flower nail or heating core, bake at 325 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 5
CakeMakerNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerNewbie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for your excellent tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%