Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Yellow Cake Mix

Decorating By jenidot Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 3:53pm by JulieBee

jenidot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenidot Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 14

Has anyone tried this cake mix? Can you tell me if it tastes good? I have a friend who wants a cake for her diabetic parents and I thought this may be a good lower sugar option with the diabetic icing and strawberry filling I saw on this site. Please help!!

13 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 14

I have not tried it but, I would think it would taste fine.
People who are diabetic usually know what things with lower sugar should taste like. Maybe if your worried you could make a small cake for the parents and another cake for the rest of the guests!

Maybe someone else can help!?

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 14

I agree that it should be fine.

I would love to hear from anyone who has made this, how it tasted, especially if they are not diabetic (therefore used to 'real cake' icon_lol.gif ) and if they liked it.

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 14

I recently made a cake for a fam that had a few diabetics and what I did was I only used half the amt of sugar in the cake, and the icing and filling was made normally. They all loved it. To tell u the truth, with all the sugar that's in the rest of the stuff, the cake doesn't need THAT much sugar. For example, if I am having a cake/cupcake/pastry/whatever, I put less sugar in my coffee bc I find they compliment each other. As for your question, no, I haven't tried that yet. Eager to get replies from those who have! icon_wink.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 14

I have used that before. I didn't get to taste it but the customers loved it. I added a sugar free box of french vanilla pudding too and an extra egg. Even the ppl that weren't diabetic loved it also!!

Sandi4tpc Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 14

imnamor95, was that a scratch recipe or mix/doctored mix? I'd like to hear about it. I would love to build up my recipe collection--I'm a junkie icon_wink.gif

jenbenjr, awesome! Thanks for sharing; I can add that as an option to try for my MIL...I love her but she's a lifelong dieter! I really do love her but her cakes are kind of dry because she uses a mix and just doesn't add oil...because of the fat BUT doesn't put anything in its place! I've made her mixes with applesauce replacing the oil and am hoping to get her to try that out. In the meantime, I HAVE to have ice cream with her cakes! icon_wink.gif Then I don't notice how dry it is... icon_redface.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 14

LOL......I usually have milk with dry cakes! Anyway, I have made lowfat cakes also and have replaced the oil with applesauce and it works great. Hopefully you can talk her into doing this. thumbs_up.gif

deletedeletedelete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deletedeletedelete Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 14

I used this for a Father's Day cake request that I had and the customer loved it. I used a package of Sugar Free pudding as well. Just warn them that the cake has 9 grams of sugar alone. I do not know if they have been told a set amount of grams to look for and avoid in certain foods but I had gastric bypass in 2006 and was told not to eat or attempt to eat anything that had more than 5 grams of sugar per serving.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 14

i recently made a cake for a diabetic mother to go along with her daughters baby shower cake. i used sweet n lows sugar free cake mix. alone the mix is awful. however i folded in 4 beaten egg whites w/ splenda, and a 1/4 cup of sour cream and almond extract. i used the sugar free icing that uses dream whip and added cream cheese. when the cake came out of the oven,while still hot, i poured on some divinchie s/f hazelnut syrup. the texture of the cake is like a pound cake. she loved the taste. hope this helps.

Sandi4tpc Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 14

Keep posting everyone!! These are great! I love choices!! icon_biggrin.gif Maybe I can convince my MIL to try some! Or at least convince her to use some applesauce.

jenidot Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 14

So to everyone that has added a box of sugar free vanilla pudding, do you use the small box of the big box? And you just add the powder right, you don't make it up into pudding and then mix it into your batter? And do you use the instant kind, not the cook kind? As you can tell I have NO clue!!!

jenidot Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 14

So to everyone that has added a box of sugar free vanilla pudding, do you use the small box of the big box? And you just add the powder right, you don't make it up into pudding and then mix it into your batter? And do you use the instant kind, not the cook kind? As you can tell I have NO clue!!!

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #13 of 14

You would add a small box of pudding.

Julie

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 14

Instant, and you just add the powder.

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%