Different Cake Boarders

Decorating By mrssambo Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm by springlakecake

mrssambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrssambo Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:19am
post #1 of 26

Hey everyone,
I am after ideas for different cake boarders - I have the shell down pat and am wondering what else I can do- any pics and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Angela

25 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:27am
post #2 of 26

I really like the reverse shell and the rope....but reverse shell is my current favorite (but I am just learning).

jbink24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbink24 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #3 of 26

My current favorite is the reverse shell, i'm fairly new, so I'm sorta playing around with borders that I know and messing with the lenght between shells and stuff. I really want to try the rope border, but it elludes me, can someone explain it alittle?

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:37am
post #4 of 26

To do a rope border pipe an S shape -- more elongated though and place the tip under the left side and pipe over making another S shape. Remember to keep it tight.

Practice, practice, practice! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:39am
post #5 of 26

My fave for gals or wedding cakes is the reverse shell.
For guys and the basketweave, it is definitely the rope, with a star tip.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:40am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbink24

My current favorite is the reverse shell, i'm fairly new, so I'm sorta playing around with borders that I know and messing with the lenght between shells and stuff. I really want to try the rope border, but it elludes me, can someone explain it alittle?

I am not sure if I can explain the rope border but its my FAVORITE! I can do it so easily. I can not thumbsdown.gif do the shell or reverse shell icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif .

I will TRY to explain:

I start with a crooked "S" with the top over more to the right. Then I start again in the lower part of the "S" & make sure the icing "goes under" that part. icon_confused.gif I am not too sure if that was a good explaination.

Can you explain the shell to me? I praticed last weekend. My shells were wavy icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:43am
post #7 of 26

I like the crown border combined with drop strings. It's shown on a few of the cakes in my photos.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:57am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbink24

I'll try my best, but it's confusing. Instead of thinking of it as an "S" laying on its side, I think of it more as a check mark without any sharp angles. icon_confused.gif Be sure to tuck your tip when you begin the next "check". I'm sorry that I can't explain it better. icon_sad.gif Don't give up; you'll get it!

mrssambo Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 8:24am
post #9 of 26

thanks for that but do any of you have pics - i dont know what it looks like. Also what is the crown boarder never heard of that one.

Thanks

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 8:49am
post #10 of 26

Hi,
here is a link for reverse shell..

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/reverseshell.cfm?cat=9

here is a lnk for tons of borders!!

http://www.cake-decorating.us/cake-borders.html

I hope this helps!!
JoAnn

mrssambo Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 11:59am
post #11 of 26

thank you so much for those links - I am guessing I will be making lots of cakes to practice on - hubby wont be complaining neither will work.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 26

If you don't want to make a cake each time you want to practice your borders, you can just turn your cake pan upside down and use that as your model. icon_smile.gif

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 12:32am
post #13 of 26

I love that link.

Anne-Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne-Marie Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:15am
post #14 of 26

thank you for the links !! icon_biggrin.gif

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:20am
post #15 of 26

Wow, All4Cakes, I love your crown and string borders. I wish I knew even where to start making something that nice...........is it hard to get that good.

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:57am
post #16 of 26

Thanks for the links.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:45am
post #17 of 26

I will try to attach a photo showing the rope border - it is one of my favorites!!!! Another border I like uses tip 352 or 353 (either one will work). One is shaped like a V and the other like a U. I hold the tip with the points at the top and bottom and hold the bag at about a 45 degree angle. The V shape will produce sort of a heart shape border.

I'm not sure what order the pics will post in.

The Thanksgiving/Fall cake has the border done with 353 (the U shape tip). The Bridal Shower cake has the border done with 352 (the V shape tip). The Easter Basket cake has the border and handle done with the rope border. The handle was done in Royal Icing, let dry and piped over the back.

If you can't see the borders that well, PM me and I will try to send a closer-up photo.

~Chelle
LL
LL
LL

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:48am
post #18 of 26

How did you make your handle if you dont mind sharing. Im in course 2 and would like to add a handle to my final cake.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:53am
post #19 of 26

A website that I love shows all the different tips to use and what the border or design would look like. Check it out:

http://www.atecousa.net/learn/cake_manual.shtml

Not sure if I did that right. I don't think it attached as a link...can anyone tell me how to do that?? icon_redface.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:54am
post #20 of 26

Hey....what do you know?! It worked!! icon_surprised.gif Duhhh.....

acgref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acgref Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:57am
post #21 of 26

The rope border is one of my favourites. It's really easy to do and looks great. Also, people aren't used to seeing it so they think it's fantastic. If only they knew how easy it was. It's hard to explain, but I'll attach a picture that I learned from. I can't remember where I got this from. I hope that helps. Also, I've done a few using two colours so it looks like two different coloured ropes intertwined and it looks great. It really adds that something extra to the cake.
LL

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:06pm
post #22 of 26

Crafty,

I measured the distance between the sides of my cake pan, allowing for some shrinkage of the cake as it bakes and cools. I then free-hand drew the handle on paper. Then taped the paper to a cake board and taped wax paper over it. I piped the rope over my drawing and let it dry for 1 or 2 days, until it was hard. This will vary depending on humiditity. I then carefully removed it from the wax paper and flipped it over. I then put a lollipop stick at each end of the handle and piped another rope on the back of the first one, thus sandwiching the sticks between ropes. I left about 3" of the sticks sticking out in order to put into the cake. I let this dry another 2 days before putting into the cake. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I used royal icing - not sure which consistency......I think medium.

~Chelle

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:17pm
post #23 of 26

Wow, this thread was incredibly helpful and I did a lot of bookmarking and then I saved the whole thread in my favorites!

Thanks! Melissa

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:25pm
post #24 of 26

it's not hard...just takes patience and FOCUS. i can't have any distractions when doing drop strings.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:32pm
post #25 of 26

Thanks for all the info! I have been in search of the person who, a month or so ago, posted a bunch of pictures of very creative borders. I think they were mostly on sheet cakes but they were great! Bad news is I didn't save any and I don't remember who it was. :-{

Does anyone else remember this?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm
post #26 of 26

I love the rope border, it is easy and looks great. I also love the look of the reverse shell, but I seem to have problems with it so I havent really done it on a cake. Could someone help me with it? Here is what I am wondering...

Any tricks to going opposite directions with each reverse shell? I mean it seems like I am often doing it in the wrong direction. I tried telling myself, "clockwise, counterclockwise" but I still mess up.

Also from reading the book it makes it sound like when you start the shell you go from like 6 to 3 to 12 to 9, like almost a full circle with the tail, but when i took the course 2 our instructor said it was just more like a wavy shell. which is right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%