How Can I Stop Condensation!!!

Decorating By Amish Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 4:51pm by pookster

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

I have been having a problem with condensation on my icing. Cakes that have been iced that I take out of the fridge start to sweat. The only reason I am so concerned is because I am going to make my wedding cake and have to decorate it Monday for the wedding Saturday and don't want to have this problem. I use the Buttercream for decorators recipe on this website if that helps. Any advice, or mabye a better recipe would be great.

7 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 5:54am
post #2 of 8

You can't stop it - it just happens. It is the cake being cold and the air being warm.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 6:06am
post #3 of 8

you can't stop it from happening.... when you take it out of the fridge, it's gonna sweat!!!! it will however dry up so mabey take it out a few hours ( over night won't hurt either) before you have to deliver it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 6:08am
post #4 of 8

Five days is an awfully long time to keep a cake before you serve it. It will help, some, if the cake comes from the fridge into a cool room. But the condensation will evaporate. Unless you have very bright colors, the icing will be fine.

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, I know five days is a long time to have before serving a cake. I am not happy about it at all. But I am using my husbands parents kitchen and fridge to store the cakes and that is the only time he will be able to take me out there(only have one car). Do you think mabye I should freeze the decorated cakes and then have his parents just transfer them to the fridge the day before? Also is it ok to leave the buttercream out over night if it has butter and milk in it?

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 8

I leave my buttercream out as a matter of practice. There's enough sugar in most recipes to preserve the stuff. The last thing I ever want to do is refrigrate a cake. Tooooooo many problems with condensation and picking up flavors...not to mention someone dropping a jar of pickles in the middle of it!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

I find turnng down the A/C in my home helps tremendously with the condensation. I cool my car down also before I transport.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 8

freezing the decorated cakes and then moving them to the fridge will also cause lots of condensation..... i would say freeze the decorated cake till the night before, then leave it out over night to "dry" out. yup, you can leave out butter cream for a few days.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%