Just Wondering When U Make Cupcakes...

Decorating By aoliveira Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm by FromScratch

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 11

do you use a cake mix or bake it from scratch? I'm thinking of making cupcakes for a birthday party, it won't be filled. I've never made them before so just wondering what most people do. I know with a box mix you always get the right amount of cupcakes.

Anyway, if anyone can offer tips, it's much appreciated.

Alex

10 replies
Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:10am
post #2 of 11

When I make cupcakes I use a cake mix.(I always use doctored up mixes--I'm not much of a scratch baker.) I usually don't get as many cupcakes as the box says. The box says it'll make 24 cc, but I get about 18-20.

carabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carabear Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #3 of 11

I usually use a mix. However any cake recipe can be used for cupcakes. I use an icecream scoop when putting the batter in to the pan to ensure each cupcake is equal. Have fun! I love making cupcakes you can be so creative with them!

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:43am
post #4 of 11

I always use cake mix for cupcakes as well as cakes unless making some type of special cake. icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:57am
post #5 of 11

I use box unless it's a special flavor (carrot, red velvet, german chocolate, or spice), but NEVER get as many cupcakes as the box says because I like them tall. I use a cookie scoop to fill as well so mine will be even. Have fun making them!!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 11

I also use Dr'd cake mixes and use a scoop to get them all exactly the same height! I get exactly 24 cupcakes using the scoop. If I use an extender recipe that calls for extra flour, sugar, sour cream, etc, the recipe yields more. If I make them larger/higher, of course, I don't get as many....just depends on how large I want them to be!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 11

I also use a mix. I like my cupcakes taller as well, so I don't get but around twenty from the mix. Good Luck!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 11

I always do scratch (I have great recipes that I use), and I use a 1/4c ice cream scoop as a measure. I always get at least 24, some times a few more out of one recipe. They bake up completely to the rim of a standard cupcake liner, which I prefer either for cupcake cakes, or decorating with a nice big swirl of icing. If there's a certain flavour you want to do, and are interested in doing it from scratch, pm me icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 11

I used a box mix yesterday, Pillsbury brand, and the box said it would yield 24 cupcakes, I made 24 and still had enough batter left over for maybe 2-2 1/2 more cupcakes lol but didn't have the room in my tray for them so I trashed the remaining batter lol. I know I know bad bad bad girl lol why waste it but I didn't really need it they were for experimenting anyway lol.

I use box mix for everything... unless requested to be scratch. If I need say 48 cupcakes I know I need 2-3 boxes of mix depending on what size cupcakes are ordered. I offer standard, jumbo, and mini cupcakes so sometimes it varies with how much mix I'll need.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 11

I notice people saying they like them tall...how do you do this, or what do you mean by this. I too use the ice cream scoop to get a consistent size, but I have found in past if I put more than that in a liner...they just kind of spread out instead of going up. Interested to know what is meant by tall....

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 11

always from scratch.. your average recipe that yeilds two 8" rounds will give you about 24 cc's. HTH's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%