Airbrush Guns

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 12:11am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 25

Hello I have a question about airbrush guns, I would love to get one and I hear a lot of people talk about the brand Kopykake, I was just wondering if any airbrush gun would work or does it have to be specifically a Kopykake brand? This gun would ONLY be used for cake air brushing, thanks for any information.....

24 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 25

I would email one of the cake greats and ask
them. Alot of the cake greats will email u
back.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 25

I just posted the same question last night.

Someone told me any kind would work.

You might look back through the forums, someone told me a certain brand that she liked, but I don't know what brand it was.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 25

thank you very much for your replies they were very helpfull!!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 25

They have this store called Harbor Freight and it's a discount tool supply store ( they are also online, I believe ) and my ex-husband got a spray gun and compressor for under $100 and when we took it to the cake dec. store, they said it woul work perfect and we got a box of spray color... sadly he took the gun before I ever had a chance to use it icon_sad.gif but when I get enough money, that is where I would go to buy another!

I was also told not to buy them second hand since these can ONLY be used for food so no ebay for me.....drat! icon_mad.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

They have this store called Harbor Freight and it's a discount tool supply store ( they are also online, I believe ) and my ex-husband got a spray gun and compressor for under $100 and when we took it to the cake dec. store, they said it woul work perfect and we got a box of spray color... sadly he took the gun before I ever had a chance to use it icon_sad.gif but when I get enough money, that is where I would go to buy another!

I was also told not to buy them second hand since these can ONLY be used for food so no ebay for me.....drat! icon_mad.gif

thanks for that info.... I live only 30 miles from two (one north, one south of me) warehouse stores.....

oh, gee...I have to go shopping now! poor, poor me (well...certainly will be when I empty the wallet on .....)

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 25

No problem... I think it is at least $50 less than the KopyKake one but I really haven't prices them... the box of color was $20 and I think there were 8 bottles of color but I really have no idea if that was a good deal or not. I was so excited to have it but never used it.

The other cool thing is to get one of those 'presentation' boards from Michaels ( like the ones the kids use in school.... they are about 2 or 3 feet high and fold out ) Use that to put behind your cake when you spray to keep the mess to a min. then it can fold and be stored away for the next time.... man, I icon_cry.gif really need to get a spray gun!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 25

so what was the brand name of the one from Harbor Freight? We live fairly close to one and mu husband LOVES the place...we do alot of Christmas shoppin' there. I just wanna make sure I get the right one!
icon_smile.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 25

Make sure whatever compressor you get you can adjust to LOW enough pressure that you don't blow the icing right off your cake.

I am of the opinion now adays that it's better to get the one I really want the first time around because I always end up regretting anything else or having to upgrade later.

I went with the kopkykake airmaster and have never regretted it. If the difference is only $50 less, to me that's not that much. I would rather wait a couple of extra weeks and get the KK.

Also, I have a projector and although I use my airbrush a lot, I find I use my projector a LOT more. Just wanted to throw that out there. : )

Wendoger Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 25

projector???

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 25

I did a search online and came up with this (for projector):
http://www.kopykake.com/cd_projectors.html

Wendoger Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 25

Got it.
icon_smile.gif

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 25

wow, excellent info...thanks for posting that link!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 25

I found this at the Harbor Freight site:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

It looks very similar to one of the models offered for sale for $165 at Winbeckler.com. For all you experts out there, how do think this model would compare (work with a cake decorating airbrush kit)?[/url]

Wendoger Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 25

My husband is pretty smart about compressors so I am gonna show this to him when he gets home from work and see what he thinks...maybe we'll go look at them. He installed his own on-board air in his jeep so he can air up tires and whatever else out on the trail. I just wanna make sure I get the right thing!
icon_smile.gif

nikinimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinimal Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:31am
post #17 of 25

Hi,
This the way I learnt how to choose a airbrush machine and hope it would give you a clue.
There are two types controls which regulate the spray and that is what which helps one to make tiny dots, tiny lines or not. With a single action control airbrushing one cannot achieve the precision in details like making tiny dots or very thin lines. But with double action control it will be possible. Then comes other finess like finger button controls.
I would check the availability of spare parts and guarantee when buying one. There a cheap airguns with all the finess but can I buy spare parts from the same place I bought the machine?
I would go to a store where they do a demo or explain single action and double action and what I should look for when buying one. Then I would select one either from them or some other place.
Have fun with airbrushing.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:45am
post #18 of 25

I recently bought a Paasche air brush. It came with no instructions on cleaning, or usage. I started to ask around and was told about "The Cake Lady" who was one of the first ppl to use airbrushing on cakes in the USA.
She has a 55minute DVD on airbrushing which i bought and found very useful, as she gives you some excercises to do, tells you how to clean it etc.
Her DVD's can be found here
http://www.thecakeladyonline.com/

Although she is retired, she is excellent at replying to emails.
Hope this helps
Nati icon_biggrin.gif

nikinimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinimal Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:46am
post #19 of 25

Hi,
Pastrywiz has step by step with pictures on these tutorials.
I have seen a demo and it seemed easy...as all the demos are.
Wish you luck.

Meny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlfreedman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlfreedman Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 5:27pm
post #21 of 25
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 5:35pm
post #22 of 25

Ha, Ha, okie, good advice (set on low). I am the kind of person to try first, read instructions later. I surely would blow the icing off the cake and then wonder why. I am saving for one also. Will follow thread to see what everyone thinks is best.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 5:23pm
post #23 of 25

I'd still like to know about this. If anyone has any advice, insight, opinions, etc., please speak up (or is that write up?).

I found this at the Harbor Freight site:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

It looks very similar to one of the models offered for sale for $165 at Winbeckler.com. For all you experts out there, how do think this model would compare (work with a cake decorating airbrush kit)?

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:31pm
post #24 of 25

That is for the compressor only, not the gun. Is that what you want to compare?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:11am
post #25 of 25

I wanted to compare compressor to compressor. The one at Harbor Freight vs. the one at Winbecker's. Is the one at HF worth purchasing for a newbie?

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%