Why Can't I Make My Own Bday Cake?

Decorating By Biya Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm by moniquerei

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 28

I am turning 39 tomorrow! In the past year I've made just about everybody I know a birthday cake. I mentioned to a few people that I was going to make myself a little birthday cake and they all had the same reaction... YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR OWN BIRTHDAY CAKE! Well why not my cakes taste good and look nice. Would anyone actually think it would be alright to buy one at the grocery store? YUCK! If I was a contractor and wanted to build myself an addition that would be okay... If I was a car dealer and wanted to give myself a car that would be okay... If I was an artist and painted a self protrait that would be okay... Well guess I feel better now, I think I'll go bake a cake...

27 replies
MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 28

I second the motion! Go ahead and make your own cake if you want. Why shouldn't you get exactly what you want in life, especially on your birthday? icon_biggrin.gif

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 28

It'a always nice when someone makes you a birthday cake. My mom usually makes mine, but I just found out today that she'll be in Florida for my birthday. I'll be making my own this year. Store bought ones are ok, but I had my heart set on a Brutus the Buckeye cake I saw on here. I'm going to have my party on game day, so why not?!! I say go for it!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahbell

It'a always nice when someone makes you a birthday cake. My mom usually makes mine, but I just found out today that she'll be in Florida for my birthday. I'll be making my own this year. Store bought ones are ok, but I had my heart set on a Brutus the Buckeye cake I saw on here. I'm going to have my party on game day, so why not?!! I say go for it!

My Husband's birthday is 11-20 always right around the Beat Michigan party in my neighborhood. I made him the OSU Stadium cake in my photos. He didn't want me to put anything about his birthday on the cake because we were taking it to the OSU party.

I say go for the cake you really want! If you are in Hilliard you can always share his cake on game day.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 28

Fo r my birthday, I am going to start baking cakes for my family to decorate! They won't be pretty but my kids can participate and they will atleast taste good!

Stephanie

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 28

Yes Biya, I'm making my own Birthday cake too. I like my cakes better, and I don't eat cakes from Costco or Sam's club. My co-worker's want to give me a party just to eat my cake.(Plus they like me too.lol.) I wouldn't have it any other way.

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 28

darandon,
Thanks for the offer! Your stadium cake is cute! I bought the horse shoe pan awhile back to try to do the stadium. It looked ok, but not as accurate as yours! How did you do it?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 28

I always make mine, I know what I like.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 28

First of all, Happy Birthday. icon_smile.gif

I didn't make my own cake, everybody expected me to do it, friends were calling me and asking: What cake are you going to "offer" us on "YOUR" birthday?? My husband didn't let me do it. He told me that this was my birthday and that I should sit and relax. He went and bought me the cake I love the most, from the best pastry shop in the city!! It's a vanilla cake, filled with whipped cream and chopped pieces of "marron glacé" Which I adore), and covered with chocolate ganache. On top of the cake there are whole pieces of "marron glacé". Yummy.

So I say, if you REALLY feel like doing your cake, go ahead and do it, but it's also nice to sit and relax, and let someone else pamper you and do it for you. icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 28

Oh Hon, go for it.....nothing wrong with making your own cake....I made mine this year, why....because I like my cakes icon_lol.gif and who knows better what you want then you.

Happy Birthday!!! party.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 28

I see no problem in making your own cake! At least you get what you want! I also see it as a reason to try a new cake that I have been wanting to make icon_biggrin.gif My problem was that I was gone away on my actual bday and didn't get to make it! Can I make myself a belated bday cake?? icon_biggrin.gif

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 28

I've been making my own birthday cakes since I turned 20... for ten years now! I was late for my 30th b'day party because I was finishing up my cake, lol.
Go ahead, make your own... you won't get a better one anywhere else.
Happy Birthday!

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 28

Happy Birthday!! Of course you can make your own cake!! I made mine this past year...it's in my photos. There was no way I was gonna eat some crappy bakery cake on my 40th!
Have a blast! icon_biggrin.gif

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 28

It was my birthday yesterday and I made my cake. I got the same reaction from everyone too but I said I WANT to make my cake. I would rather have that than anyone here in town and I enjoy doing it. The hard part was cutting it!!!!!!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 28

IM planning on making my own cake this year to. In fact Im gonna use my birthday to make my Harry Potter theme cake for the board. LOL, Although I might have to make it a couple days earlier since my birthday's the 30th. Chocolate guiness cake here i come!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #16 of 28

Happy Birthday!!

Well....did you make your own cake..and eat it too?

I was going to make my own cake this year, but time got away from me. One day, I'll have a birthday cake.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 28

My kids have always made my birthday cakes. However, my youngest (18 yrs old) took Wilton classes with me last year and makes FAB cakes (she uses my recipes), so she is my official birthday cake maker. She is awesome!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 28

lol, I would make my own cake,

I am not asking for pitty here, just giving my side, My family has forgotten my birthday for the last three years ( yes I feel so frigan special) But I have decided this year, I am making a cake and inviting all the friends that rembered last year over for dinner and i am not telling my family. OK, i know childish and mean. but this has gotten me though the last year of them forgetting. lol,

OK, what is a bulls eye cake?

DawnRenae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DawnRenae Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:19pm
post #19 of 28

Nothing wrong with making your own cake. The last cake I had made for me was my wedding cake 13 years ago. I guess if I want a birthday cake I will HAVE to make it myself. That's it! I'm cutting my family off from the free cakes!! icon_twisted.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:22pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahbell

darandon,
Thanks for the offer! Your stadium cake is cute! I bought the horse shoe pan awhile back to try to do the stadium. It looked ok, but not as accurate as yours! How did you do it?

I used the Stadium pan from Nordic. It makes a complete stadium - to turn it in to the OSU Horseshoe I just cut off the end and moved it out a bit to make the stands that are in the endzone. I thought the the Nordic pan made a better Horseshoe than the actual horse shoe pan.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:28pm
post #21 of 28

I'm probably a minority, but birthdays are no big deal to me and if they go by unnoticed then that is OH SO FINE with me. And not because the numbers are getting bigger ..... I proudly proclaim my age with each year! I am the fine wine everyone is looking for ! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

If your own cake is what you want, then why do people think it's ok to say, "Oh that's not what you want ..... you should have this instead." icon_confused.gif

One person said to me at an office pitch-in once, when she saw me taking some of my own dish, "You eat your own food?" I said, "Well, he** yeah! I KNOW that tastes good! And if I wont' eat my own food, what kind of message does that send to everyone else?" (She was a bona fide idiot, did I happen to mention that?)

So bake away .... to insure you have the BEST cake around!

P.S. Even tho' birthdays are no big-deal, this fine-wine gal is already planning a big blow-out birthday party for herself on her 50th! It will be my first birthday party of my life and I'm planning it myself to make sure it's done right! (Um.... no control-freak issues here, huh?!) icon_rolleyes.gif

Can't WAIT to turn 50!!!!! 40 was great and 50 will be fabulous! So if you're in the area, go ahead and mark your calendar for January 2009! party.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:31pm
post #22 of 28

By all means make your own cake! dont put up with some dry as a cork/cardboard tasting thing from the bakery--it's your birthday and you deserve something special!

For my birthday, I bake whatever cake my kids think I should have (9x13 or shaped something) and make the frosting and color it for them. They do the rest. It's not something I would dare show to my customers, but to me it's a priceless work of art.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:34pm
post #23 of 28

If that's what you want, I say go for it!!! I personally would rather have no cake than have to make one myself (I'm a little tired today!)!!!! My b-day is the last weekend of this month and I have turned down every order for that weekend -- a cake-free weekend...my gift to myself!!!!! The last two years, DH has gotten me an ice cream cake from DQ and I love them!!!!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #24 of 28

Dawnrae:

I love it, waht a great idea, lol, that will get you a cake. lol

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #25 of 28

I wouldn't have minded making my own but my sweet husband bought me an ice cream cake from Cold Stone instead! MMMMMM I love ice cream so it was a perfect idea! I think it was called midnight chocolate or something like that! All I know is that one sixteenth of the thing had about 700 calories in it! I got high points that day! (Running joke with a friend of mine. We know lots of people on Weight Watchers and we joke that we try for the most points we can get every day. We're not making fun, we could both use WW! lol)

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:04am
post #26 of 28

It's the privilege of the birthday kid to choose his or her own cake - bake your own if you want to!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:52pm
post #27 of 28

I was told I couldn't make my last birthday cake so I didn't. The day before my dh said "I don't have time so could you do it?" That was at 8:00 pm. So I ended up making an Oreo cheesecake the next morning. Get baking your cake and ignore those people! icon_lol.gif

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm
post #28 of 28

I just made my own 30th birthday cake about 2 weeks ago. I mainly wantd to have a chance to practice with a big cake. When I was at the party...it was like people were feeling sorry for me saying "you had to make your own cake...why didn't yu tell me??" I was totally fine with it...I didn't want my husband to go out and buy one from the store and I absolutely didn't want him to try to make it himself....

so the moral of the story, go for it...i had exactly the cake i wanted in exactly the flavors. Loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%