Duncan Hines Vs. Betty Crocker

Decorating By midgit1205 Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 7:52pm by Bettycrockermommy

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:38am
post #1 of 14

When baking a cake, which cake mix (that gets altered of course) is best? Is there really a difference? I have read some that say they will only use Duncan Hines for the base and was wondering what the reasoning behind this is??

Thanks to all for your help. You are a world of information and I have learned a great deal from you already!!! thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:45am
post #2 of 14

I was just reading in the Cake Mix Dr. book that Betty Crocker has pudding in the mix, which makes it more dense and therefore shorter in appearance than Duncan Hines. I personally perfer Duncan Hines just for the height of the cake, but taste wise it doesn't matter to me.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:59am
post #3 of 14

I actually use DH, Pillsbury with pudding in the mix and BC. DH seems to come out much higher than the others but when I do a cake 3D cake I like to use the pudding in the mix by Pillsbury. You will get lots of different opinions on this.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 10:09am
post #4 of 14

It's all on personal preference. I love Duncan hines Classic White - I think it's delicious, but I'm not crazy about their French Vanilla. Some people swear by their butter golden recipe, but I've tried it several times and think it's, well, nasty! On the other hand, I absolutely love BC's French Vanilla and it's primarily the only one I use anymore, unless I need white or chocolate for something. BC used to make a dark chocolate that was delicious but I can't find it anywhere, so I've been using their Triple Chocholate Fudge. Personally, I don't likeDuncan Hine's dark chocolate. I never noticed a height difference between them - maybe I should look out for that! But I always, always, always get compliments on the BC French Vanilla.

Also - I've used both kinds for 3D cakes and never had a problem. Once I tried one of the "doctored" cake mixes to supposedly make the batter denser for the teddy bear pan - but his neck ended up cracking and his head fell off - a problem I never had while using a regular cake mix. So who knows.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:43am
post #5 of 14

Alot of people may us DH as a base because there is no pudding in the mix. Both BC and Pillsbury have pudding in the mix. I prefer BC and that is usually all I buy. DH cake mixes come out crumbly for me and Pillsbury mixes do not yeild as much batter as BC. My fav BC is the Butter Recipe White, it is awesome!

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:44am
post #6 of 14

I didn't even know BC had a white butter mix! That sounds good - I'll have to try it! Thanks!

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 14

I've been using BC. I tried DH french vanilla and it was so gross. My husband even noticed the difference. I've never bought another DH since! I usually use the BC french vanilla for my white cakes and BC Triple Chocolate Fudge for chocolate.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 14

I always doctor my mixes and use DH. A few weeks back I was in a pinch and grabbed a BC box I had in my pantry, tried to doctor it in the same way, and got a goopy mess. So I personally swear by DH if you're going to doctor.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 14

I usually buy Duncan Hines and like it. Can't comment on Betty Crocker as I haven't used. Maybe next time I buy I will get a few boxes and try.

Thanks

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 14

I prefer DH, alwalys get good results. I think it's because no pudding in the mix. I do like BC Golden Vanilla. I like the butter recipe mixes for triffles and that sort of thing, but they don't take to doctoring very well.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 14

I agree, the DH french vanilla is gross....

I buy what is on sale!

When I took cake classes they advised that Wilton recommends DH.

Good topic, I'm learning more and more....

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 14

I use DH. I like the ones you add oil to instead of butter. I find they come out more dense and less crumbly(is that a word). I often doctor mix and have had better luck with DH. icon_smile.gif Hope this helps some.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 14

Here's a tip. If you are making a 3D cake or you plan on carving your cake, use BC. It's more dense and won't fall apart on you. I use DH because it rises higher. Well yesterday I mixed up a batch and filled the small 3D bear pan for a cake. It was so light and airy the bear just fell apart. Crumbled right in my hands. Great for eating, not for making a 3D cake. Now I will keep a couple of boxes of BC around for those kinds of cakes.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 14

I only use Betty Crocker mixes. I have tried a few DH and just didn't like the way it tasted. And I can get BC for .89 at the SuperWalmart across the street from my house! Works great for me!!

BTW, I don't doctor my mixes either, and I always get rave reviews on how moist an ddelicious my cakes are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%