Laying Down'fondant

Decorating By eve Updated 26 Jun 2005 , 5:41pm by kalikw

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,
SOmetimes when I use Fondant on cake, i get a lot of "folds" or "pleets" at the bottom. and I don't like the look.. I use Wilton's Fondant smoother look like an "iron"). is my FOndant too thin ? Help...
thanks you

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 3

Unfortunately, the smoother will not remove wrinkles. If you elevate the cake so that the extra fondant drops down free over the side, it helps ease the extra fondant into place without pleats. I make a stack on a turntable, first some non-slip material, then an inverted cake pan, then more non-skid, then the cake. While the fondant is hanging dow over the sides of the cake, you can manipulate it into place. It does take practice, and squares are easier-IMHO.

JoAnn

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Eve,
I took a fondant class yesterday and I learned a really neat trick to remove the pleats. You "pull" the pleats out gently and with your finger you smooth left , then right, trim off the excess. Go to the next pleat do the same thing, working it a little at time, it may take a little longer but it works. Everyone in the class did a really good job and most had not worked with fondant before and the cakes looked incredibly smooth. The teacher was very impressed. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%