How Long Do Cakes Stay Fresh.

Decorating By Pimples25 Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 9:10am by MustloveDogs

Pimples25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pimples25 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 11:54am
post #1 of 10

Hiya,

I was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice regarding how long cakes will last for, if you do a sponge/madiera cake for example. I tend to cook and decorate a cake in the same day and then give it to the person that day or the day after as Im worried the cake will go hard or something, this can be quite hard if I need a cake for say midweek because I work full time so the best time for me to do them is weekends.

Any advice would be appreciated

Paula

9 replies
emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 10

I would love to know the answer to this too so I'm gicing you a 'bump.' I have Friday's off to do cake making and have the same problem when someone wants a cake mid-week.

How long does a cake last once it's covered in fondant / buttercream? I could always fondant it on the day it was baked and then give myself some time to decorate it - but how much time?

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 10

Funny you should bring this up. Alot of my decorating books from England call for putting the fondant on the cakes and letting it sit for 2-3 days to harden. They do this with all the cakes, not just the fruit cakes. Cakes are sprinkled with sugar syrup and this should keep them moist, but how long will they taste fresh. Do any of you refrigerate your fondant cakes?

Panda-monium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panda-monium Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 10

I use fondant attached with a simple buttercream and if I need a cake for the weekend I usually make a madeira cake on the Wednesday. I try to cover the cake within a day, or so. I find that covering the cake helps to moisten it and improves it. I worked briefly with a professional cake decorator and she said that fondant covered madeira cake could be made up to 5 days in advance. I store my finished cakes in a cardboard cake box and have not poisoned anyone yet icon_rolleyes.gif .

This would not be the case if any of the ingredient/filling needed to be kept chillled.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 10

It's not so much about poisoning someone icon_smile.gif More about having them cut the cake and thinking 'This seems dry and old' which would be awful!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 10

I too would like to know. i usually do my cakes on Thursday, decorate on Friday for a Saturday party. but after the party, how much longer til i should toss? what if it's in the fridge? will it last longer?

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 10

I think it depends a lot on the type of cake, the humidity of the area you live and if it is in the fridge or not. I live in the humidity and cake is good for about 4 or 5 days sitting out. Then it gets moldy. The fridge maybe a week. If it is warm it goes bad faster. I like the freshest I can give so I try to make it the day before. If not I make it, wrap it and freeze no longer than 1 week ahead.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 10

I just read the satin ice website and they say for there handle meathods to freeze decorated cake

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:01am
post #9 of 10

cakes covered in rolled fondant last 4 days. i bake cakes ahead, fill them and double wrap them in saran wrap. they can last months in the freezer like that. i sell cakes from home, and i have had no complaints on the freshness of my cakes. i never ever decorate my cakes unless they are frozen, they are alot more easy to decorate that way, no crumbs in the icing!!!! i never refrigerate cakes done in rolled fondant either~to worried about condansation.....

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:10am
post #10 of 10

I bake and freeze my cakes as it make them moister I think. I work backwards from when they are due and dependant on what suits my week with my young kids. It is not unusual for me to defrost on Wednesday or Thursday and I immediately cover in ganache which helps to seal the moisture and then I decorate the day or two before collection.
Most of my cakes are due on weekends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%