Pudding Mix In Cake Mix, Wich Size?

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 1 Sep 2006 , 2:19am by kerririchards

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:49am
post #1 of 7

I will be baking tonight and I just bought pudding mixes for the cakes, but they have 2 different sizes, one that uses 3 cups to prepare and other that uses 2 cups to prepare and also there is one that is instant and another one that needs to be cooked??
Wich one is the correct one to use?? and do you add one extra egg to the cake mix and what else??

Thank you!

6 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:58am
post #2 of 7

Use the small instant pudding (the one that uses 2 cups milk). Put the dry mix in with your cake mix. An extra egg and use milk instead of water (buttermilk or sour cream works well too). Use the regular amount of oil. I use the Cake Mix Doctor recipe books. They have some really good recipes in there. There a some recipes on their web site under "recipes"

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7

I did my first cake like this last weekend and have another one in the oven right now. (And I don't think I will ever go back to just plain old cake mix again).

I did a chocolate mix cake and added the smaller package of instant pudding mix (also chocolate) and only one additional egg- that's it.

I decided to "branch out" a bit tonight and do white cake with vanilla mix- LOL. One other thing I read on a thread just the other day said that you can use vanilla with any flavor cake mix, but the writer preferred to use the same flavor pudidng as cake when they did it.

It is yummy and dense.
Happy baking!!!

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

Dah! I should it check the book! I have the cake mix doctor book, I'm just not used to it, this will be the first time I use cake mix, I always baked my cakes from scratch.

Thank you.

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:13am
post #5 of 7

The regular doctored recipe is:

1 box cake
1 box instant pudding (small box instant) or 1 box of gelatin
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil

My favorite combinations:
Dark chocolate fudge cake mix with chocolate pudding (add an extra cup of semisweet chocolate chips to the batter)
White cake mix with lemon pudding
White cake mix with white chocolate pudding
White cake mix with coconut cream pudding
White cake mix with strawberry gelatin (small pack also)

dali120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dali120 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:16am
post #6 of 7

Try this one, it's pretty good. I use a cake mix (I like Dncan Heins) 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oil (2/3 cup oil for choc. cake), 4 extra large eggs (or 5 large) 1/2 cup (or small packet) dry instant pudding mix, cook at 325 degrees for 35-45 min.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:19am
post #7 of 7

I just use the instant pudding (small box). 1 small box for 2 cake mixes - 1/2 a box for just one cake mix. My favorite chocolate is the devil's food cake mix with the devils food pudding. White cake with White chocolate pudding. Carrot cake with vanilla or french vanilla pudding. One time I used a banana pudding with a white cake and it was very banana-ey - good, but kind of unexpected if you thought you were getting just a white cake. Kind of like getting a drink of sprite when you were expecting water! I don't add any extra eggs or liquid - just follow the mix directions exactly and add the pudding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%