Kitchen Aid Lids And Extra Bowls

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 26 Jun 2005 , 4:36am by ump107

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 28

I am discovering that a lot of folks don't realize you can get lids for your Kitchen Aid bowls, they come in all the sizes. Hubby got me extra bowls and extra lids for Christmas. These lids are great to keep the dust out of the bowls when they aren't in use, or to use to cover a container of icing when you have several to make up. I even refridgerate the icing in them when I make it up ahead.
There is also a cover you can purchase for you Kitchen Aid, I am going to make one, one day, too cheap to buy the cover.
Anyway, having these things makes it all a bit easier.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

27 replies
jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 28

I will check that out. An extra bowl or two sure would be handy. Thanks.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 28

Extra bowls and lids are really handy. I used to get so frustrated having to wash out the bowl to mix up, say egg whites and such. I like having a smaller bowl to use for smaller quantities too, it comes in handy. Mind you the bowls are not cheap, here in Canada they run about $52 each, likely much, much less in the U.S.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 28

Hey Da' Momma of cakes,

I don't have lids but I do have 3 bowls for my mixer! What a great thing to have!! My wonderful cake store sells reconditioned mixing bowls! They are only $10 a bowl! You can't even tell they've been fixed! The look brand new!

I'm supposed to be sending one to tcrema... she's a very dear friend of mine... but I keep forgetting to send it!!! Sorry Tammy!! Gotta love me!

So also check w/ a local Mom & Pop cake supply store. They might have the recondition ones!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 28

Heehee, I am jealous, have never seen reconditioned bowls here, just the mixers. Likely with shipping, packaging and customs and exchange on the dollar, it would cost me as much to buy reconditioned from the U.S. as brand new here, darn.
You really need to get some lids, kiddo! Wonderful for when you make up Royal Icing! I like the fact I can just cover the bowls and not have to worry about dust and washing them out before using them. I put the attachments in the bowl and don't have to re-wash those either.
Off topic here, but I had a sweep vent installed for the central vaccuum system, in the kitchen. It is a vent or hole that is hooked up to the central vaccum system duct work where all I have to do is flick it open and sweep towards it and away goes anything I have managed to drop on the floor. Now if only it could suck the icing sugar off the counter, out of the air... Oh well, can't have everything, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 28

Thank you for posting about the extra bowls and lids
I am just starting out and I know it drives me crazy having one bowl
I have to do cake then wash and do frosting then wash and so on.
I bet a few bowls would save me so much time. I also make a nice big mess when making my frosting, I don't have a cover sheild...My wish list is growing....

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 28

Well, I have the cover shield and I must say, for giving me one more thing to wash, I really don't find it all that useful. I know people love it, but I find it more trouble than it is worth. For one thing, I still manage to get icing sugar all over the counter anyway. I guess it is all in what you get used to, I just never got used to it.
I really like those killer huge spatulas, and replace them when they start to soften up - they don't do as good a job. Also those plastic rectangular bowl scraper are really handy too.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 28

Oh my goodness, I was just on the Kitvhen Aid site getting another bowl. Having one bowl is such a pain. I did not get any lids but I will go back and get some now. I love this site it is so helpful. I am thinking of maybe getting another bowl. Three should be enough right?

Happy Baking

Twin Dees

twindees Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 28

I do not like the cover sheild either. I still make a huge mess. No matter how careful I try to be.

Twin Dees

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 28

Heehee, Twin Dees, you are the only other person I have seen admit to not being really fond of that shield. So there are two of us, haha!
I would think any more than 4 bowls would be overkill, two is great, three even better. I can stack the smaller bowl into the larger one and still put a lid that fits the larger bowl on, so that works well. But if you get too many bowls, it becomes a storage issue, that is for sure. I only started getting extra bowls last fall and then at Christmas. That was the one thing that drove me nuts, having to wash it out every time for the next thing! Almost as bad as having to wash out a cake pan and re-grease and re-flour for the second layer, grrhhh!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 28

to help keep the mess to a minimum when using my mixer for icing sugar,hanging a damp dish towel over the mixer,bowl and shields really helps alot.

It only needs to be there for a little bit,until the sugar is moistened.

Then I use the towel to wipe down the mixer or sit over the bowl until I am ready to ice with it.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 28

I can't stand the shield either, used it once and promptly tossed it somewhere (the black hole in my basement I think) I also use the damp cloth, when Im done I use it to wipe of the counter!

Man I would love extra bowels but never really thought about it, gonna start lookintg! icon_eek.gif

Heather In MO

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 28

Heehee, well the damp towel is a good idea, unfortunately, I need one on the counter, the cupboards, the floor, the cats, haha, well not the cats, they are banned from the kitchen, but you get the idea. I am ever so careful and still it gets all over. hhmn, maybe if I used a damp bath sheet over my head, the mixer, the counter...
Heehee, so the overspray isn't so much the issue for me, although it is part of it, no it is the opening the container, measuring out, sifting it, getting it into the bowl, etc. etc.
Haha, I am rather enjoying knowing that I am not the only one that doesn't like the shield, geesh, I was afraid to even mention it because I keep seeing people recommending it.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 28

SquirrellyCakes, You crack me up icon_biggrin.gif I have had a hard day with two screaming kids, I finally get to sit down (begged the DH to get them out of the house for 2 sec.) and what do I see...I am imagining you trying to bake a cake wrapped up in a huge sheet! LOL Thanks I needed that

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 28

I am another one that doesn't like the sheild. It doesn't seem to help when adding powdered sugar, and it is SO much harder to add stuff. for somereason it just doesn't want to slide down the funnel for me. Any way I tried to use mine a few times and it's made it's way to the bottom of my kitchen drawer now.

Maybe I can trade someone a shield for another bowl? I definitely could handle that. thumbs_up.gif

But thanks for bringing this up Squirrelly, I am starting to make a wish list and had forgetten all about the extra bowls, and I didn't even know there were lids!

Leily

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 28

Hhmn, a bath sheet over my head would complete my baking look, haha! I have the baker's white aprons, either wear an official baker or chef's hat or sometimes I wear this little Purity Flour hat, Purity is a Canadian company, they supplied these hats to some of the baking course students. Pretty funny looking hat and obviously meant for smaller heads than mine, but anyway, you will never see a picture, haha!
And my kitchen can go from spotless to disaster in seconds. I put each ingredient away after I use it, wash all of the utensils and bowls as I am going along and still, it looks like something attacked the kitchen. Geesh!
Oh yeah, I have a favourite baking t-shirt. It has this picture of this big cat wearing a spotted cow apron, holding onto a broom and it states, "I don't do mousework". Does that complete the picture, haha!
Baking isn't glamourous!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 28

I'm glad I read this post regarding the shield around the bowls.. I was so envious of those as I do not have one with mine.. I see that they're not really as handy as I thought lol ... I too do the clean kitchen towel on my bowl. I drape mine over the top and hold it loosely against the sides of the bowl so the confectioner's sugar doesn't fly all over the place... it still gets some on my counter, but not nearly as much as it would w/o a towel over it .. I will have to check into those reconditioned bowls!! I need another bowl!! Many, many times, I mix vanilla and chocolate cake mixes.. I have to dump the vanilla off in another bowl, wash my mixing bowl and then mix the chocolate in it again .. then wash again and mix icing while the cakes are baking ... I'd love to have at least 2 more bowls... and lids!! those would be great to have too icon_biggrin.gif

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 28

Ok this is my question ..i have the 4.5 quart bowl KA.
I need a bigger bowl.. can a 5 or even 6 quart bowl fit my KA?
Or do the KA come with that particular size bowls.

AShiana

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 28

I also have no use for the shield - it really was a waste of money. I use the damp towel method and I love having an extra bowl (no handle) that stacks inside my larger bowl with a handle. Wish I had thought of lids!

My favorite is now the 'custom' spatula that fits the sides of the bowl correctly - but talk about a SPLURGE!

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 28

My KA came with the shield,I wish it would've come with a lid instead.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 5:31am
post #21 of 28

Ntertayneme~

We can run by the Cake Store to get you a bowl or two when you're here! You'll love my friends store!

I bought a shield thing & it kept falling into my mixing bowl!! After using it once I tossed it in the cupboard! It isn't worth it!

Da' Momma of Cakes... What kind of vacuum system is that that you have?? I have never heard of it! Sounds like a great invention! I want one! Will it suck animals down it?? Jeff (son) brought home a stray kitten last night!! I would like the vacuum thing to suck all the animals & Jeff up!!!! LOL!!!

AShiana~
I don't think the larger bowl will fit. I'm not sure though. I wouldn't try it unless you know for sure. It might mess your KA up.

To cover my KA mixing bowl & use saran wrap then tinfoil. It works great!

cakesinma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesinma Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 11:57am
post #22 of 28

I'm another one who rarely uses the shield. It's more bother than it's worth. I did splurge on a second bowl a while ago and would love another. What I really need is a new paddle or two as my paddle is really beat.

Must look for reconditioned bowls!

twindees Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:06pm
post #23 of 28

See SquirrellyCakes there are more of us who can do without THAT sheild. I feel so much better. I will try the damp towel this weekend and see how that goes.

I ordered myself 2 extra bowls and lids yesterday and I can't wait for them to come. I want to put off all of my orders until they get here Heeeeheee.

Happy Baking

Twin Dees

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:07pm
post #24 of 28

[quote="tcturtleshell"]Ntertayneme~

Da' Momma of Cakes... What kind of vacuum system is that that you have?? I have never heard of it! Sounds like a great invention! I want one! Will it suck animals down it?? Jeff (son) brought home a stray kitten last night!! I would like the vacuum thing to suck all the animals & Jeff up!!!! LOL!!!

Heehee, no it won't suck animals, well maybe really small ones that will fit in the hose, haha!

It has a central cannister that most people put in the garage or basement. Then there is a duct system attached to outlets in the wall. SO you attach the vaccuum hose to the wall outlet and turn on the vaccuum and everything goes through the hose into the duct system and into the huge cannister, which only needs emptying about once or twice a year. So then they came out with this little vent thing that you attach under your cupboards in the kitchen, close to the flloor or you can put it in a workshop or other area. Anyway, it opens up with a switch. So you just sweep all of the crud off the floor towards it and it sucks it through the duct work to the canister. I swear some lady invented that sweep attachment, haha! Great little invention.
Haha, I am with you though, something you could just turn on and it would suck out all undesirables, would be great, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 2:15am
post #25 of 28

Hey ma......make me a cover too!!!! LOL

me!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 2:41am
post #26 of 28

Hey you, you are too pretty to cover, even with icing sugar you likely look like a model!
Hugs Ma Squirrelly

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 3:35am
post #27 of 28

You are too nice!!! But I mean for my KA not me silly....He! He!

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:36am
post #28 of 28

I also have the shield and have found limited use for it. It is handy when I lower the bowl while the mixer is running to let the icing or whatever whips off of the paddle. I have been using the damp towel method since I read about it on here and it works great. I noticed when I was just using the pouring shield by itself the powdered sugar would fly up and out of the shield and land on the shield and the counter. I think it may be possible that I have the wrong size shield as I received mine as a gift but after reading all the posts here I dont think that is the problem.

Its only a matter of time before I get another bowl mixing up different batters and different frostings, it becomes a pain cleaning the bowl. It would be more convenient to clean the bowl while something else is mixing or all the bowls when I am done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%