How Far Ahead Can You Make Buttercream Roses?

Decorating By beetle1948 Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm by projectqueen

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 12

Hi
How far ahead can you make roses from Buttercream Icing

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 12

1-2 weeks or more. Let them air dry. If mine sit around more than 2-4 days, I put them in a plastic container. Otherwise, they sit on my counter until I need them.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:16am
post #3 of 12

I make mine and immediately put them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. Once frozen, I transfer them on their wax paper squares into a tupperware container with a lid. I keep them like that in the freezer until I need them (could be a month or more). They are super easy to handle when frozen and I just lift them off the wax paper and place them where I need them on the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:21am
post #4 of 12

To some degree it depends on your icing recipe.

I make air-dried b'cream flowers and can keep them up to 6 months.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #5 of 12

really?? buttercream roses?? I would think you could keep royal roses for so long. wow! that is so great to learn

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #6 of 12

Freezing them? Do you have problems as they thaw out on the cake....like slipping?

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:09am
post #7 of 12

Never thought of freezing them. Made a batch the other day but did not want to through out the extras (they were so pretty). But I will use them now - seeing that it is airdried and kakeladi said you can keep them for 6 months.
Thanks all...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:57am
post #8 of 12

you can make them and then freeze them for a very long time. icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 12

When I keep frozen flowers, I have a label on top of the container. it would say "yellow roses 1/30/07" "purple pansies 2/18/07" "bue forget-me-nots 3/16/07" etc. I add the description and dates so I know how old the flowers are. I have thrown out many flowers because of their age. I still haven't figured out how long they keep, though. I usually will taste one.

projectqueen Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 12

No, no problems at all with thawing the roses. No slipping at all.

In fact, I will freeze them even if I plan to use them the same day simply because they are SO much easier to handle while frozen.

I will make what I need, put them on a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer for at least 1/2 hour. Then when I take them out (if I have a lot of roses, I freeze on 2 separate cookie sheets to give me extra work time) I use the flower scissor thingy to pull them off the wax paper squares and place right on the cake. If I put one in the wrong place it's easy to just scoop it up again and re-place it.

They thaw perfectly in place on the cake! Try it!

glor08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glor08 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 12

Can someone please share what the best recipe for BC when making the roses to freeze?

projectqueen Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 12

I have used both a recipe that has 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening as well as a recipe that uses just hi-ratio shortening.

You should be able to use just your regular buttercream recipe as long as it is stiff enough to pipe.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%