Child Allergic To Peanut Products.....

Decorating By _ChristyB_ Updated 31 Aug 2006 , 3:43pm by sheri277

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:26am
post #1 of 9

This is the first time in all the cakes I have done in the past year and a half that someone as mentioned anything about food allergies. The mother wants a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. I plan to use fondant accents as well. She has also ordered sugar cookies decorated with royal icing. What do I need to look for on the product ingredients? Will it specifically say there is peanut/peanut products in it? Does vegetable shortening have anything peanut in it? cream cheese? I am just new to this aspect, but I would absolutely not want a child to have a reaction to some of my goodies!!!!!

TIA for your help!!!

8 replies
amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:31am
post #2 of 9

I too would like to know this as well.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:40am
post #3 of 9

My son does not have peanut allergies, but he has tree nut allergies (pecans, cashews, almonds, etc.); so, I always read every label. If a product is made with peanuts, it will say it very clearly. If a product is processed in a facility that uses peanut products elsewhere in said building, it will say it on the package somewhere...fine print, but easy enough to spot.
From what you are making, it seems that there are no problems with any of the ingredients. Just read all the labels while you are shopping, and make sure your kitchen has NO HINT of peanuts/peanut butter anywhere on the counters or utensils. The mom was good to give you a heads up.

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 9

so I guess Almond extract would be out if that was the case right? If someone has alergies? I use this is my frosting with butter and vanilla.

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for the info! Also, I had not thought about the almond extract because I use it also. I have emailed the mother about that.

Again - THANK YOU ALL!!!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 9

Peanut allergies and tree nut allergies are two different things. Peanuts grow in the ground; other nuts are grown on trees. The allergies are not-related, usually. My son can't have nuts, but he can have peanuts in all its forms (he's five, so that would be peanut butter). But, yes, he can not have almond extract. So, when in doubt, just ask, but don't get flustered about changing everything you already do.
If you're still not sure, ask your doctor. Or Google.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 9

I just wouldn't certify it as being peanut free. ask the mohter for brands she uses and use those.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 9

I think by law the product has to say whether or not it contains peanuts or the by products of the nuts. I think even being manufactured around peanuts has to be loabeled by law.

sheri277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheri277 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 9

My child does have peanut and tree nut allergies. To make sure all questionable ingredients have no nuts you have to call the company.

Example: I was giving my son a choc lolipop made from candy melts. NO where on the package does it say nut contamination. My gut told me to call Wilton. They told me that the candy melts are on shared equipment with the peanut candy melts. There goes the white candy melts for me!

Also, you need to be careful with chocolate,flavorings,and scrub your pans if you ever made a cake that contained nuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%