Never Thought Of Decorating Cheesecake.....

Decorating By Destini Updated 4 Sep 2006 , 6:03pm by darcat

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 10:43am
post #1 of 24

I came across this website www.elegantcheesecakes.com
Until now I've never thought of decorating a cheesecake the way you would a real cake. Check it out

23 replies
Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 10:57am
post #2 of 24

Now that I could get my dh to eat, he isn't a huge cake fan icon_surprised.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:06am
post #3 of 24

Destini, Thank you for sharing that website!! icon_surprised.gif The cheesecake are gorgeous!!!!

I've been making homemade cc's for several years and I do decorate them, but not to that extent. So, guess what I'll be starting on now?

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:21am
post #4 of 24

Their work is very beautiful and I'll bookmark the site for ideas, but did you see the prices? I realize it's San Francisco, but still... Yikes! Not for my budget! icon_lol.gif

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 24

A cake that serves 6 for $ 100 is an awful lot!!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 24

"wedding cakes START at $11-$20 per person"!!!

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 24

Wow! Very pretty, looks like she is a fan of fondant! icon_smile.gif

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 24

I make a cheese cake I got off foodnetwork made by Tyler Florence named the ultimate cheesecake. It cooks up beautiful doesnt sink and you can decorated it or just pour chocolate ganashe on top. Its an amazing recipe that can be used for any kind of cake wedding-birthday-christening-shower etc....It holds up very very well. Its the cheesecake everyone asks for. I am now trying to find a recipe for a vegan or dairy free cheesecake as my sister in law who can not have dairy and I dont want her to feel left out .

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie-Em

I make a cheese cake I got off foodnetwork made by Tyler Florence named the ultimate cheesecake. It cooks up beautiful doesnt sink and you can decorated it or just pour chocolate ganashe on top. Its an amazing recipe that can be used for any kind of cake wedding-birthday-christening-shower etc....It holds up very very well. Its the cheesecake everyone asks for. I am now trying to find a recipe for a vegan or dairy free cheesecake as my sister in law who can not have dairy and I dont want her to feel left out .

Hiya! I love to make cheesecakes and do so ALOT!!!! There are a couple of websites out there with many, many recipes to choose from. Maybe you can find one to bake for your sister-in-law.

www.thatsmyhome.com/cheesecakes
www.cdkitchen.com
www.allrecipes.com

Hope one of these helps ^,,^

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 24

dunce.gif Question Here!

When you decorate a cheesecake with fondandt, would you cover it with bc like we do with regular cakes?????

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngD

Wow! Very pretty, looks like she is a fan of fondant! icon_smile.gif

They actually use white chocolate "plastique", not fondant. Gorgeous work, huh?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 24

Do you think that they still use a crumb crust? and just on the bottom? I am just trying to picture the taste. I can't see fondant and cheesecake falvors melding together. Anyone ever tried one? Do you put bc on too? I think that would be lots of flavors!

Stephanie

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm
post #13 of 24

Okay,

I must be in Lala Land but I have never heard of chocolate plastique. What is it? And where can I find it?

RuthWells Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeQueen

Okay,

I must be in Lala Land but I have never heard of chocolate plastique. What is it? And where can I find it?

Chocolate plastique is another name for modelling chocolate. It's basically chocolate mixed with some corn syrup. If you have Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake Bible", she has a recipe for it in there.

At one time I was able to find the Elegant Cheesecake people's formula for their white modelling chocolate -- if you go to their website and look at all the links for press and media, I think it's in there.

Edited to add -- I found it! Note that when resoftening the plastique the next day, start off slow -- she says to nuke for one minute, but in my microwave, that made white chocolate soup. Not good.

CHOCOLATE WRAPPING PAPER
from Susan Morgan

Ingredients:

1 lb. Belgian White Chocolate (or your favorite import)
1/2 Corn Syrup
Food Coloring (optional)

Preparation

Melt Chocolate slowly. Fold corn syrup until combines. Wrap chocolate dough in plastic wrap and let it rest on counter over night. Cut chocolate dough into 3-inch cubes.
Soften chocolate dough in the microwave on low for 1 minute or until soft. Wear plastic gloves to kneed food coloring into chocolate dough for desired colors.
Roll out chocolate dough through pasta machine or with rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut your favorite cake in two-inch cubes. Wrap the pieces of cake with ribbon and bows

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 24

Is it safe to assume you could use milk or dark chocolate as well?

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:50pm
post #16 of 24

Those cakes are pretty amazing. I was a bit taken aback with the prices also but I guess when you deliver a cake that looks like that you can charge that much. I wouldn't even know where to start making a cheese cake that looks as beautiful.
Thanks for the telling us about the site. I've already book-marked it.

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 4:16pm
post #17 of 24

Bump!! I want to know if we can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate as well and if someone have ever done it with fondant!!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 24

RuthWells,

Thanks for the tutorial and recipe. I can't wait to experiment with it. I especially hope it works with Dark Chocolate, which is my favorite!

RuthWells Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 4:37pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Is it safe to assume you could use milk or dark chocolate as well?

Absolutely, milk or dark chocolate can be used to make modelling chocolate, though the porportion of corn syrup will probably vary. I know that "The Cake Bible" has a recipe using dark chocolate, so that would give a good base-line formula.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:07pm
post #20 of 24

[quote="RuthWells"]

Quote:

...milk or dark chocolate can be used to make modelling chocolate, though the porportion of corn syrup will probably vary.

Would you imagine more or less? Of the top of your head. I can 'play' with it, but if anyone has a good guess I'd love to hear it!

RuthWells Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:20pm
post #21 of 24

[quote="Melvira"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthWells

Quote:

...milk or dark chocolate can be used to make modelling chocolate, though the porportion of corn syrup will probably vary.

Would you imagine more or less? Of the top of your head. I can 'play' with it, but if anyone has a good guess I'd love to hear it!

Well, dark chocolate has more chocolate solids than milk or white chocolate, and is therefore "dryer". (People may have noticed that when making ganaches with various types of chocolate, the darker the chocolate, the more cream is needed.) So I'm going to guess that you need more corn syrup for dark chocolate than milk, and a little bit more corn syrup for milk chocolate than white.

adams2shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adams2shop Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm
post #22 of 24

Ok, I tried the white chocolate recipe and I don't think it worked out. It was very, very greasy. When I kneaded in some coloring this morning, it was like the corn syrup was separating--just dripping out. I'm sure this can't be the way it's supposed to be. Anyone know what I did wrong and what it's supposed to be like when it's done right? Is it like fondant?

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:47pm
post #23 of 24

Oh wow, those cheesecakes look like cakes. Ok, now I have something new I can try. I've been wanting to experiment with cheesecakes b/c everyone seems to love them. You could really make a lot from cheesecakes especially since everyone tends to charge at least a minimum of $35 for one in the metro Atlanta area.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:03pm
post #24 of 24

I have the wilton year book 1995 and in there is a picture of a cheesecake with a floral decoration on top along with the name Nancy. The instructions say to save some of the cream cheese mixture and tint it different colors then place mixtures in disposable bags then with freehand style pipe directly on to cheesecake mixture before baking. Because its baked right into the cake its one of those cakes you go wow how did they do that? I havnt had an occasion to try it yet but I certainly plan too. I wish I could scan the pic to show you but scanner is on dh computer lol. If any of you have the yearbook take a peek its called "Fresh baked floral cheese cake"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%