They Stuck What In The Cake? :p

Decorating By shalderman Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 9:33pm by maria892

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #1 of 14

I did this cake for a friend ~ she lives across the state from me and was over to visit and took it home for her 40th bday party that she was having. It was a 70's themed party. She wanted a bright, wildly colored/decorated cake with flowers, peace signs and rainbows. So that's what she got thumbs_up.gif

Anyway she emailed me pics today and she had the cake set up great (she had to stack the tiers and put on the ribbon herself). But *gasp* she then poked these huge plastic decorations in that had a black 40 on them. All over the cake BEFORE she took any pic for me icon_mad.gif Guess I shoudl have been clearer that I wanted a completely natural pic of it. So I had to edit them all out to the best of my (not so good) abilities LOL

Just made me go grrr a bit to stick cheap plastic decorations in what I thought was a perfectly good cake! Oh well icon_smile.gif Such is life! She loved it though and it was fun to make.
LL

13 replies
Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #2 of 14

Yes......I would have been upset too. It's a great cake and you did a great job of editting.

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #3 of 14

What a groovy cake (sorry, couldn't help it). I don't think she realized the amount of work you put into the cake, only to ruin it with the plastic 40's. You can't tell they were even in there thanks to your editing. Great job on the cake!

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #4 of 14

What is the deal w/these people?? My cousin did the same thing to the cake I did for my uncle's retirement cake. She put cheap huge candles all over the top of the cake & let wax melt all over the top of "my" cake. i was so mad! icon_mad.gif

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:15am
post #5 of 14

Oh my guess you can't understand some peoples taste (or lack thereof!) Great job on the cake and the editing!

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:24am
post #6 of 14

I can smell the insense and hear the Doors playing in the background . . .
very cute cake!! Great details!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:26am
post #7 of 14

oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, can we see a pic of the picks????

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 14

Here's the pic with the 40's in it ... now looking at it they may be candles?? But either way! Really take away from the cake.

I know we all think of cake differently than the average joe. Its our baby...our work of art.
LL

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 14

i'm sorry, i just had to laugh. i do see a couple of sticks now on the edited cake that are still showing a bit, but only noticed because i compared photos. how horrid (lol) , i'm sorry. you did an excellent job photoshopping them out though, as well as the cluttery background. last year a friend of mine put the same 30 candles on her husbands cake that i brought over. all i could think of was, "boy, are those ugly. i am glad i took a picture before i brought the cake over. "(and it was a plain and simple cake too!) well, at least you "fixed" it. most will never know!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 14

Oh my gosh they don't even 'go' with the cake at all, not a bit! The colour and shape of the numbers is so totally wrong. What was she thinking? I have to say that cake, prior to having dollar store candle sticks jabbed in it at strange angles, was gorgeous, great job.

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 14

So could people not get the point from the large 40 that you placed on top of the cake? They needed those horrid things to remind them of the birthday person's age???

Your cake looks awesome though. good job.

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, no telling what anyone does with the cakes after we drop them off.

I delivered a wedding cake and was just in time to have the florist come in after me to do her thing. She was poking the stems into the cake, if it wasn't where she wanted, she'd take it back out and poke it into a different location. Thank goodness, I took pictures of the cake before she did her job. She didn't even wrap the stem or used spikes.

And just in case, I did send the couple a picture of the cake before the flowers, in case they did notice some damage. But from the photographer's standpoint the flowers added a wonderful dimension to it. I totally loved the way the flowers looked on the cake. Made me want to do my own fresh floral work.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 14

I'm sure I would have been upset also but it was her birthday cake. A pic of it before she attacked it would have been nice but what she did with it was her business I would think. JMO

Diane

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 14

Why would you want to advertise so many times that it's your 40th B'day. One was enough and you supplied it. Plain candles would have sufficed. Your cake was very funky, balanced and complete without the addition of incorrect colours to your cake. I keep looking at it and it just looks wrong. (with the candles in it). At least your friend assembled the cake correctly for you. Great work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%