My First (Documented) Cake Disaster

Decorating By Laura102777 Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm by CakeDiva73

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to do a bridal shower cake for someone at work and bring it with me to work today. I finished it last night and I was SO happy with it. I posted my pictures last night before bed and ordered prints and was SOOOO tickled about seeing everyone's faces when I delivered the cake.

So since they didn't need the cake until the afternoon, I waited until my lunch break to come home and get the cake. I admired it and lovingly packed it into a storage container to take it back to work with me. I carried it carefully all the way from the parking lot into the building and all the way down the hall to my office. I put the container on the breakroom table with a big smile on my face and took the lid off the container to admire it again......... and then I discovered that the cake had been completely destroyed during transport!!! icon_cry.gif

I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry, and I really didn't know what to do. I mean, this was my first day at my new job even! But my office manager was really understanding and she told me if I needed to go home and try to fix it or make another cake that was fine. So I went back home and did the quickest substitute cake I could do. When I delivered it, they all told me I should've called them and they would've just picked a cake up at WalMart, but that's why I didn't call them. I wanted them to be oohing and ahhing over MY cake at the shower, not making do with some WalMart cake.

They were really happy with the sheet cake I ended up bringing and really loved the pictures of the other cake BEFORE the big accident. And I still wanted to cry!!! Oh well, another day, another lesson learned. Next time I will dowel, dowel, dowel!!!

(I think I posted my pictures in reverse order, so just look at them from bottom to top)

[/u]
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

8 replies
frider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frider Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 9

Well, it was a beautiful cake. Glad you have pics at least.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 9

The original cake was gorgeous sorry about the accident.

But I love the look of your other cake too, so hopefully that will make you feel some better.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 9

I am sooo sorry that really stinks. I have had a major disaster but it was only for my father-in-law not such a big deal ( although you do want to impress your family too) The original cake was very cute i really like it a lot and.... the sheet turned out pretty too.

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 9

It was a beautiful cake!! I was admiring it earlier in the galleries. I'm sorry it fell apart. I think the sheet cake is very pretty as well.

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 9

Wow! What a gorgeous "before" cake! And the replacement sheet cake looks great too - I love those colors together.

Girl, I feel your pain!! Almost the same thing happened to me last weekend...finished a cute 2-tiered b'day cake, secured it in the box, and drove 20 minutes across town to deliver. Checked the cake just before the customer arrived, only to find that the icing had totally fallen off one side of the top tier. Wanted to throw up, wanted to cry! Fortunately the party wasn't 'til the next day, so I was able to take it home and redo it. And it made the trip the 2nd time around! Isn't it just so frustrating when something you've worked so hard on just falls to pieces!

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 9

So out of curiosity, you didn't dowel the cakes? Were they just sitting on top of each other?? Maybe others can learn from your mistakes! That's too bad though icon_sad.gif

heavenlybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlybakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 9

I am so sorry this has happened to you...I can feel your pain. Your before cake was totally awesome. Although your second is a also pretty. You boss is too nice to let you do what you need to do...I know you would rather want to forget about the disaster but would you mind sharing what has happened - maybe that is something we can all learn from in the future.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 9

Good God, that cake is stunning..... you did a really great job. The edges are sharp and the color and balance is spot on icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%