Mill Lane Fondant??

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 1:20am by BlakesCakes

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 6

has anyone tried it? Has anyone tried it AND fondex? I really like the flavor of fondex.. but I was hoping to have some decent tasting fondant for a tasting this wednesday and the cake supply place around here carries Mill Lane.. I have never heard of it until right now.. how does it perform? I don't want to drive 40 minutes with kids for a fondant that isn't all that.. thanks!

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

Hi, Jeanne.
Yes, I've used Mill Lane since taking classes with Geraldine Randlesome (her shop in Canada--Creative Cutters--uses it exclusively because her DH Alan is the producer of this fondant).

Mill Lane tastes great (better than most, actually) BUT--it's finicky stuff to work with because it's very stretchy and soft. You can roll it very thin, so you use less, and it can be repaired easily (similar to rolled fondant). You need to roll it out on powdered sugar (on a non-stick mat or vinylis also a good idea). Sprinkle the rolling surface with a good amount of PS, take a ball of the fondant, roll it 3-4 times, pick it up, get more PS under it, shift it a bit, and repeat this until you have the size you need. Make certain that after each 3rd or 4th roll you can move the piece of fondant--if it sticks, you'll never get it up in one piece. Roll the finished piece over the rolling pin so that it drapes evenly and put it on your cake.

If I need to it to be stiffer, I use 1/3 Wilton, 2/3 Mill Lane. I find that this works extremely well and still tastes wonderful.

Please let me know if you try it--and please, tell me the name of the shop that carries it in NH. I need some more and don't want to pay shipping from Canads. Also, the chocolate is wonderful. You need to roll that out on crisco and/or cocoa powder.

HTH
Rae

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:17am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply! The shop is called Eaton's and it's in Hooksett, NH and the number is 603.627.1808. I think I'll run over and grab some.. I find Fondex to be the same.. rather soft and stretchy.. so I'm used to that. I'll be sure to check it often though. thanks again for the tips!! I hope you can get it cheaper than you are now!

gizmo-shadow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gizmo-shadow Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Please let me know if you try it--and please, tell me the name of the shop that carries it in NH. I need some more and don't want to pay shipping from Canads. Also, the chocolate is wonderful. You need to roll that out on crisco and/or cocoa powder.

It appears that Creative Cutters has a branch/warehouse in Buffalo, New York. They might be able to ship it from there instead of Canada.

Here is the link: http://www.creativecutters.com/CONTACTUS.CFM

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 6

Ok I am glad I found this thread. The shop that I am in the process of buying uses mill-lane and everytime I try to cover a cake with it it falls apart??!! I have never been so frusterated in my life. As much as I dislike wilton, I never had issues like this with it. Has anyone else run into this? Should I contact creative cutters you think? It's pretty sad when you can't even cover a dummy cake
TIA

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

Mill Lane is a bit different, but the info I posted above comes directly from several classes with Geraldine and Alan Randlesome (owners of Creative Cutters and makers of Mill Lane).

If you follow the directions, you'll have great success with the product.

In addition, don't add crisco to this fondant or it becomes unworkable. Too much cornstarch is also an enemy. Your best friend with Mill Lane is a non-stick or vinyl surface and plenty of powdered sugar.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%