Help With A Barbie Cake.

Decorating By reese04 Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm by reese04

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 7

I have never made a barbie cake and i was wondering if i can just use a regular barbie instead of the little barbie pic. And if so, do i just stick the barbie into the cake after i decorate it? TIA.

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

You can use a real doll, but the wondermold pan isn't deep enough to insert the doll. It helps to put the wondermold cake on top of another layer cake, a 10' looks good, but you can get away with an 8", depending on your dress design.

After the cake is backed, but before you decorate is probably the best time to insert the doll. I have found if I remove a core from the center of the 'dress', the doll goes in better, without breaking the cake apart.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 7

I used a real barbie but I took her legs off for the Princess cake in my photos.... I had hubby carefully remove her legs so they could be put back on and you couldn't tell they had been removed, and then I wrapped her lower half lol in cling wrap and cut the hole a bit bigger to accomodate her hips.. my god they have some big hips! then I pushed her gently into the cake and began decorating (I crumb coated BEFORE putting her in because she wouldn't fit in the fridge lol) I chose a barbie doll that had pretty decent top on so I didn't have to worry about her BC bra falling off in the heat lol and the little boys screaming about barbies chest lol... but you can do either with or without the shirt and do your own shirt if you wish... The other set of barbie cakes I made in my photos I used the doll picks.... and put BC clothes on them lol...

satgirlga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satgirlga Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 7

I just recently made my first doll cake. For the doll to look like a real barbie, I just took the head off the Cinderella doll, and put it on the "body" of the doll pick that comes with the wonder mold pan. HTH.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 7

I did most of my doll cakes with the doll picks but I found cuter heads from Bratz dolls to replace them with since the Wilton ones are not so modern looking. I made one with a real barbie which worked well except I had to get my husbands help removing her legs so that she would fit in the cake. I think the doll pics are easier but if you have a particular barbie that you want to use, go for it.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 7

I like using real barbies better. I also had to remove the legs. I've also done mini dolls with little Kelly Type dolls. My recomendation is to wrap the barbies hair in plastic wrap before decorating, so frosting doesn't get into her hair.

But I like the Idea of JoAnneB, I think putting her on another small cake would be great. This way you can keep the legs in tact. and It could give you the opportunity to make a floor for her to stand on.

Can't wait to see it.

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much for the quick replies! I'm making it this weekend for my DD's 3rd B-day, and I thought it would be cute if I could give her the barbie as one of her gifts too. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%