Celiacs Disease/ I Can't Eat Cake!

Baking By cakedreams Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm by yummymummycakes

cakedreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreams Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 14

I have rcently been diagnosed with Celiacs Disease and cannot have wheat or gluten of any kind. Does anyone have any good cake recipes for wheat/gluten free cake? I am at a loss. I can still make my cakes for customers, but not for myself, and I LOVE CAKE!

Cake Dreams/Vicky

13 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:43am
post #2 of 14

Oh, Vicky, that's terrible! What a sad thing to have happened. Well there are mixes that are targeted for people with allergies. www.cherrybrookkitchen.com is one place and I've heard that some of their mixes are sold at Super or Greatlands Target stores.

I know there's a difference between Celiac's and allergies, so I suggest you read up on this. As always, if using the internet, don't go by the first or only one or two results from a search. Read many and make sure they're reputable sites. Though the internet is a great place to find info. there's also a lot of misinformation out there, too!

Daryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryn Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:55am
post #3 of 14

I really don't have anything to help you, but just wanted to tell you that I think you must have amazing amounts of character. I could not make a cake for someone else and not eat some myself. (Maybe I am the one with the problem. lol icon_wink.gif ) Hang in there.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #4 of 14

i'm sorry.... about your news.
My nephew has had this since he was born, he's now 15.
There's a lot of help out there for Celiac, is not rare as it used to be years ago. Also i have found glutten free food at various supermarkets. Like stop and shop and health food store Wholefoods.It is definately a bit more expensive, but there's options. Also i learned you can make cake with Rice or potato flour.
Here is just one of many sites with glutten free recipes:
http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=20

HTH

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:57am
post #5 of 14

Go to a health food store. They have things like soy flour. You will figure things out in no time and be back to eating cake!

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #6 of 14

Oh Vicky, you sure can eat cake!!!! I just made an entire gluten free wedding cake and it was delicious!!!! It was from a mix from Bob's Red Mill:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php

I have 2 co-workers with celiacs and a son with many food allergies so I get the restrictions. anyway, I tried a few different mixes and the chocolate one from bob's is dreamy. I am not sure where you live but my local grocery store carries their entire line. they also have gluten free vanilla. I recommend you try it and you shall never feel deprived.

Keep your chin up, I am glad you have a diagnosis that you can treat to take care of your body and enjoy cake!!!

Kym

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #7 of 14

Oh Vicky, you sure can eat cake!!!! I just made an entire gluten free wedding cake and it was delicious!!!! It was from a mix from Bob's Red Mill:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php

I have 2 co-workers with celiacs and a son with many food allergies so I get the restrictions. anyway, I tried a few different mixes and the chocolate one from bob's is dreamy. I am not sure where you live but my local grocery store carries their entire line. they also have gluten free vanilla. I recommend you try it and you shall never feel deprived.

Keep your chin up, I am glad you have a diagnosis that you can treat to take care of your body and enjoy cake!!!

Kym

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #8 of 14

Hi, my husband also has Celiac Disease. I have learned to make many baked goods. www.allrecipes.com has some recipes for other sweets besides cakes. Also, go to www.glutenfree.com. They have some good mixes (coffee cake, brownies, etc.) It can be frustrating, but you just have to be a little more creative. I have found that white rice flour, coconut flour make better baked goods. They don't have a strong flavor like soy flour does. It is overpowering!

Good luck, if you have any more questions, just PM me

Lisa

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #9 of 14

I'm so sorry about your troubling diagnosis. I have a girlfriend who also has celiac and it was quite eye-opening when we threw her a "gluten-free" potluck bridal shower; we all learned just how challenging it can be to keep gluten out of the diet.

The good news is: you can still eat chocolate! Yeah! I made her a delicious flourless chocolate cake for her shower--I even torted and filled it (no small feat) and iced it with whipped ganache. About 1000 times denser than a proper cake, but hey, cake is cake.

That said, I'm hoping to do her baby shower cake too and would love to make a more "cake-like" cake so I, too am hoping to hear from anyone else with "tried and true" GF recipes. I have read many recipe websites but would love to learn of any specific good-tasting GF recipes. (I'll be checking out kymscakes suggestion for sure!)

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 14

I have a gluten-free friend, and while I've had no luck with scratch cakes, I do like the Pamela's mixes. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/ My scratch cakes always turned out grainy, even though I tried a few different ones. The ingredients were too expensive to keep experimenting. I'm sure there are good recipes out there, but I'm sticking with Pamela.

cakedreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreams Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support, and most of all your helpful ideas. I am going to check out all the web sites you suggested. I too have tried several homemade cakes and they are grainy, dry and expensive to make. I would love to find a scratch receipe that is good. I have not tried any box mixes yet, but again I will. I have a baby shower cake I am doing for my niece in Aug and I know it is going to kill me not to eat any. I am going to the healthfood store tomorrow to find a cake mix. Thanks again to all

Vicky

AskTheVanillaGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AskTheVanillaGuy Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 14

Sorry to hear about that. I recently discovered an all natural vanilla extract that is safe for Celiac's! www.singingdogvanilla.com Hang in there!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:00am
post #13 of 14

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~kupstas/FAQ_recipes.html
The first section is wheat/gluten free recipes.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 14

I have two children with cealiacs ( DD 12 & 19)and one (DS 2) who is highly allergic to gluten and wheat. icon_cry.gif

I know it is a icon_eek.gif to you, I know it was to me. I felt like I had walked into a minefield tapedshut.gif . Didnt know what to do or which way to turn. All of a sudden it felt like everything they loved was off limits to them icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . But you will get through this.

In fact almost my whole house is on gluten free just because of the convenience to me. icon_lol.gif ( I havnt told them yet, must get around to mentioning that...... icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif )

I have just been given a whole bunch of recipes from a friend that include cake, clices, etc. icon_biggrin.gif

A lot of them use rice flour which is relatively cheap. thumbs_up.gif

Also be careful of baking powder a lot of them contain gluten, however you can subsitute bicarb of soda and cream of tartar with the same results.

Will be posting recipes over the next couple of days. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%