Cake Shop Owners - Any Regrets???

Business By christeena Updated 2 Nov 2014 , 12:05am by luvscakes

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycakes

icon_sad.gif I became legal in May of this year.....and yes, I am finding out just how hard that the 'underground' bakers are taking away wedding cake business.....I know of 2 within 10 miles of me. icon_sad.gif I only sold by word of mouth until I became LICENSED AND LEGAL.....and now seems like cakes are nonexistent with the wedding cakes......what's up? I got licensed for a reason.....I will just keep plugging along....birthday and all occasion cakes are doing well...but not the wedding. It's tough...and kind of disheartening. icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

Yellow page ad and a bridal fair will turn your wedding sales around. It will just take a while since these are both things that happen in Spring. (At least here)

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:13pm
post #32 of 68

You guys give me alot to think about.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #33 of 68

icon_smile.gif Thanks Jenn123.....I have thought of the bridal fair. I am handing out business cards and taking 'sample platters' to businesses....hoping that will help too. I know it's going to take time to get this going.....but so far, I am getting good comments/orders from what I have done. thumbs_up.gif Patience is a virtue.....rofl..... icon_biggrin.gif
I am also going to run an ad in the local paper for a few weeks.....with information about me and my business. icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #34 of 68

OH yeah, if you don't have a website...get one! Brides love to sit at home and look through all of your photos. Many just call or email me to place an order and I never even meet them in person.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:29pm
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

OH yeah, if you don't have a website...get one! Brides love to sit at home and look through all of your photos. Many just call or email me to place an order and I never even meet them in person.

Absolutely!! You've no idea how many brides tell me they do ALL of the wedding planning via the internet! (how did I function in this biz 20+ years ago before the internet made it so easy?) icon_confused.gif

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #36 of 68

I agree 100% with Jenn123. I did one bridal show, placed a yellow page ad and got a web site and my wedding cake business increased 500%! No kidding!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:45pm
post #37 of 68

I agree with so many things already posted above.

Like Paola - our kitchen and retail shop are in two different places so it is a little different. At the time things happened, it was a great opportunity so I felt like I had to take advantage of it. I am glad I did, but it is really, really hard. If there is a day I have to be at the retail shop longer than planned, everything is messed up, because I cannot do any baking, decorating, etc. there. Hopefully that will change in the next year.

Quote:
Quote:

- Working when you are sick
- You don't always have the time to spend on the fun stuff you started your business to do in the first place.
- You are never free from the worries of being the boss even on vacation
- Vacation? what's that?

This is so true!!! Working when you are sick is a tough one! I broke my leg and tore all of the ligaments, tendons, etc. around my ankle on May 18th. It was a Friday night and luckily I had finished all of the orders for the next day (God must have been looking out for me because that never happens!!!), but I did have orders for Tuesday and had to start right back Monday morning. I have been on my feet this entire time. The doctors have lectured me about "taking some time off," but it is not an option. Some of these people have had their orders booked for almost a year. I am in an air cast until at least February and find out on Monday if they want to do surgery. If they do want to do surgery, I don't have a week when I could actually fit it in!

Vacation -- I previously worked for an employer (non-baking) that was a family owned business that closed for two weeks at Christmas and several weeks scattered throughout the summer. They were a retail business and their customers after many years pretty much knew when they would be closed. They felt like it was worth taking the time off to keep their family and employees happy.

I have chosen to take on that same way of thinking. I closed for the week between Christmas and New Year (and yes, I missed a lot of orders this past year and a lot of money!! -- and we actually ended up spending most of our time redecorating the shop) and close a couple of other times through the year. Those times are planned out the year before and posted for everyone to see.

Some people think it is the most awful thing in the world to have to work on Saturday. If that is the case, then it may not be for you!! You don't get to be at every ballgame or cookout or wedding (I rarely get to actually attend a wedding!), but you are a part of some very special days for a lot of people.

I am in a small town where everybody knows everybody (which can actually be great for business), but something that was quite an adjustment is everybody knowing who I am! I feel like I constantly have my "business hat" on. I have people ask about cakes when I am in Wal-Mart, the grocery store, church, ball games, etc. I feel like I always have to be on my best behavior (which I should anyway I guess icon_wink.gif ). You are a business person and have to conduct yourself as such.

Overall, I LOVE it and I would do it all over again!

southerncake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinWoo

I agree 100% with Jenn123. I did one bridal show, placed a yellow page ad and got a web site and my wedding cake business increased 500%! No kidding!

True for me also. For me it was a small business expo, getting invited to do a dessert showcase at a fundraiser gala, a website, and running a couple of ads in the local paper and then things exploded. I just finally broke down and did a yellow page ad this year and it has been amazing!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #39 of 68

Just curious- I'm pretty new at this: what are Saturdays really like? Are you mostly delivering or do you also have to complete cakes? How long is a typical Saturday?

Jenn123 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:01pm
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenu

Just curious- I'm pretty new at this: what are Saturdays really like? Are you mostly delivering or do you also have to complete cakes? How long is a typical Saturday?

That depends on you really. When we had a shop, we would close at Noon and everything had to be delivered or picked up by then. We had to go in at 3AM because we made eveything fresh daily. We only delivered wedding cakes.

My set up now is mostly delivering on Saturday with everything completed the day before. I sometimes spend all day doing deliveries. Or a few in the morning and a few in the evening.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:08pm
post #41 of 68

I think I will stick to being a home decorator for now. I have many skills that will help me when the time comes. But, definatley not ready for anything more than that for now.

I have enough to do now I couldn't imagine adding more to it.

southerncake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenu

We technically close at 2 on Saturday, but I often have deliveries up until 5 or 5:30. I rarely bake on Saturday, but almost always have to decorate Saturday mornings.

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #43 of 68

Thanks! I'm not interested in having a bakery because I have family members who have their own businesses and I've seen what it's like (any business). I pretty much agree- everything depends on you. I have family members who thrive on that kind of pressure, who don't mind living, breathing, eating their work!

On the other hand, if that is your personality- you'll be like that with everything- any job. I was a high school teacher for many years and you wouldn't believe it (because we have summers off) but I could never shut off- even in the summer I'de be lesson planning- perfecting, reading up, etc. I obsessed all the time- that's just a personality quirk I guess.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:24pm
post #44 of 68

very good topic. Thanks to everyone for sharing the experience weather it is good or bad.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm
post #45 of 68

I'd like to jump in here if I may. I just read through this thread because my DH said something very nice to me two days ago that has been stuck on my mind. He said that if I am still "into cakes" next year and interested in doing this, then he will help me start a biz. He would take care of the bookkeeping and stuff, but I would be in charge of everything else. He is a sweetie, and it touched me that he was willing to support me in so many ways by offering that to me.

But here is the current situation. I am currently pregnant (due in Dec.) and have a 3 1/2 & 2 yr old. Love them dearly. Used to be a professional violinist and have continued to teach privately, but that ends in September. My new passion has been cake decorating.

So, this means, if I have the energy and everything after the baby is born, then he would do the biz. Unfortunately, home biz is out here in NJ, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking twice about this.

But this means actually getting a store front or something (which I would LOVE to have), but I would be in charge of ordering, advertising, and decorating - no problem .... he would do bookkeeping...yeah!....but it is everything else that scares me and that I don't know about. What if I don't charge enough to cover expenses? How do I make sure I can? What else am I to know about?

In all honesty, I suck at the biz aspect of anything and everything. I just don't like it. I do it because I have to, not because I am good at it. Too honest I guess and I believe in doing what I enjoy. I used to do concerts and not care so much about the $, as long as it was something I would enjoy performing. But you can't pay me enough to do it if I don't enjoy it. I won't have that option if we start an official biz.

I want to be official so I can get the biz and advertise and get known around here. But I am more scared about the possibility of the biz than about juggling 3 kids!

I will be watching this thread for sure! Sorry this is so long.

Jenn123 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #46 of 68

saberger- I don't know if this is something you want to jump into with 3 small children. Especially if you hate all things business. If all you really want to do is decorate, then I would say you should find a small bakery and work as a decorator. This will let you see everything that is required to run a business and evaluate if it is something you really want to do. From my own experience of having 2 boys circling me while I try to work, you may be pulling your hair out in huge clumps. If they are cared for by someone else, you may not see them much. This isn't a 9-5 job.

As a child raised in a bakery, I say it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was 11 when we started and could actually help. But... I spent most weekends, holidays, and summer breaks working. Mom & Dad were rarely able to come to my games/extracurricular activities.

There is good and bad in every story...

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #47 of 68

I wanted to add that I decorated cakes in an instore bakery for 11 years and loved it. The only thing was I was making minimum wage and had to go to work in a factory to make more money. Now I work in an insurance agency with a great boss that will lel me leave to go set up a cake or take a phone call from some one who is interested in ordering a cake. I am 46 years old and have always had an entreupneril spirit(spelling that word is difficult). Anyway I am starting to do a few cakes here and there and have been looking into having an inhome bakery for cakes and cupcakes. So, I hope that there are more people out there that will give me advise along the way and share ideas with me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:57am
post #48 of 68

cj, keep the dream alive! I'm 48 and just signed the lease on the storefront a few months ago. It's never too late!! thumbs_up.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:00am
post #49 of 68

Thanks for the feedback Jenn123. I have been lucky with the kids not making it harder for me - believe it or not. They are ally great. My 3 1/2 yr old son actually wants to be a cake decorator " like mommy". Really cute. It sounds like a good idea to work at a bakery, but truth be told, I HATE working for other people, esp. if they end up being less talented and/or just plain idiots/jerks. Sorry, I don't know a nicer way of putting it. But I wouldn't mind 'borrowing' someone from another bakery/store to join me in the venture or something.

No doubt, however, that I DO have much to learn about the biz aspect.

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:37am
post #50 of 68

I do not own a bakery, but I did own a small business until about 2 months ago when I had my baby, now I am a SAHM that is doing cakes from home, (friends, family, word of mouth). I have actually stayed really busy, which was a nice surprise. I was a hairdresser and opened my own business about two years ago . . . I LOVED owning a business. Not only did I love doing hair, but I loved THE CONTROL!!! Lol, can you tell I am a control freak? I was in charge of how my business was run, no one could screw up my business plan, and I was in charge of all money going in and out, I had all my paperwork completely organized to my standards. It was like my outlet for not being able to control the other aspects of my life. I think I didn't realize how much of a "businesswoman" I really was until I went into business for myself. I just wanted to make a little more money doing hair, but it ended up showing me how much I really liked learning about business, cash flow, customer relations, etc. It was the best of both worlds, doing hair, which was my first love, and owning a business. BUT THEN, I had my daughter, and of course, like everyone says, life changes. I didn't quite have the same passion, I went back to work a week after she was born, worked for about two weeks, and shut down my business. I miss it, but she is way more important. That's when I decided to turn my little cake hobby into something I could make a little money at. I will eventually go and do something part time, but I do NOT want to own another business (at least not until I have more kids and they are older) and I do NOT want to be in charge. So my answer after all this rambling is . . . . I think it depends on what stage in life you are at, and if you like doing the "business" side of business as well as the decorating. If you are the type of person that is organized, passionate, and extremely motivated, GO FOR IT!!! Hope this helps . . . . it's just my take on the situation.

Oh and pieceofcake . . . I met you about a month back over at Christy's on Main Street!! I was buying a bunch of cake dummies for a mini expo for a club that I am in and you were getting ready for the cake show at the Point (I think it was at the Point). How did it go! I have enjoyed looking at your website. Your cakes are amazing!!!

Cassie1686 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:38am
post #51 of 68

I do not own a bakery, but I did own a small business until about 2 months ago when I had my baby, now I am a SAHM that is doing cakes from home, (friends, family, word of mouth). I have actually stayed really busy, which was a nice surprise. I was a hairdresser and opened my own business about two years ago . . . I LOVED owning a business. Not only did I love doing hair, but I loved THE CONTROL!!! Lol, can you tell I am a control freak? I was in charge of how my business was run, no one could screw up my business plan, and I was in charge of all money going in and out, I had all my paperwork completely organized to my standards. It was like my outlet for not being able to control the other aspects of my life. I think I didn't realize how much of a "businesswoman" I really was until I went into business for myself. I just wanted to make a little more money doing hair, but it ended up showing me how much I really liked learning about business, cash flow, customer relations, etc. It was the best of both worlds, doing hair, which was my first love, and owning a business. BUT THEN, I had my daughter, and of course, like everyone says, life changes. I didn't quite have the same passion, I went back to work a week after she was born, worked for about two weeks, and shut down my business. I miss it, but she is way more important. That's when I decided to turn my little cake hobby into something I could make a little money at. I will eventually go and do something part time, but I do NOT want to own another business (at least not until I have more kids and they are older) and I do NOT want to be in charge. So my answer after all this rambling is . . . . I think it depends on what stage in life you are at, and if you like doing the "business" side of business as well as the decorating. If you are the type of person that is organized, passionate, and extremely motivated, GO FOR IT!!! Hope this helps . . . . it's just my take on the situation.

Oh and pieceofcake . . . I met you about a month back over at Christy's on Main Street!! I was buying a bunch of cake dummies for a mini expo for a club that I am in and you were getting ready for the cake show at the Point (I think it was at the Point). How did it go! I have enjoyed looking at your website. Your cakes are amazing!!!

Cassie1686 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:50am
post #52 of 68

sorry I didn't mean to post that twice!!!

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:10am
post #53 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1686

Hey I remember you! icon_biggrin.gif The cake competition was awesome! We had a few cake problems (really bad idea to put PermaIce under fondant) but still managed 2nd place in our element (which was "Sky"). We really had a blast. Syliva Weinstock had to drop out as a judge but they got Colette to replace her and it was a riot just hanging out with her 1 on 1. It seemed like most people didn't know who she was which was awesome because she wasn't being swarmed for photos and people trying to pick her brain so we just got to chill with her for a while.

Great experience, I can't wait to do it next year!

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #54 of 68

Cassie-

I just wanted to pipe in and tell you I did exactly the same thing when my son was born (I stuck it out for a year like a moron before I sold my store) and swore I'd never do it again.

Flash forward a year and a half...I'm buying a bakery tomorrow icon_eek.gif

You just never know! icon_wink.gif

-Michelle

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:55pm
post #55 of 68

thanks for all of the advice.

Cassie1686 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm
post #56 of 68

thanks michelle - I am glad to hear there is life after mommyhood . . . lol. good luck with the new venture!!

bpshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpshirley Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:30pm
post #57 of 68

Anyone else have experience in this area that they're willing to share?

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #58 of 68

What a great thread. My DH and I currenlty own a tire shop (have since 2001). It is a challenge. I work full time at one job (Sr. Accting Assistant), work at the tire shop on weekends and do cakes in between. I have a 9 and 13 yr old that come first. I used to have a problem saying no, but I finally said to myself "I need to sleep and to take care of myself". I know from owning our Tire Shop that it is a major committment. My husband relies on me to have the insurance and benefits that he doesn't get from being self-employeed. But, I still want my own shop at some point. My father has been in business for himself for over 30 years. He actually owns four different businesses (at the age of 12 I was doing his payroll and contracts for his logging business). I'm sure I have the drive and business know how to run a shop, but it's the upfront costs and the insurance and benefits that worry me. Sorry this was so long.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #59 of 68

couldn't agree more with all the above postings.

i think for me the worst part is no health insurance...i'm very healthy, but last year i fell off a ladder and broke my wrist, i convinced myself it was just a sprain, so i never went to the dr...it took FOREVER to heal....and now it looks kinda weird...i should have had it set, but i didn't want to take the time/money to do it....plus i didn't know if i could work with a big ole cast on my arm...THANK THE GOOD LORD IT WAS MY LEFT ARM.

it took me twice as long injured to do everything...of course i had no choice but to keep going, this is my sole income.

the paperwork is the worst!...i think our government hates small business....they sure don't make it easy on us.

some saturdays i'm there on my feet for 14 hours....then....it seems like all the $$$$ goes in overhead, i was thinking the other day...if i was an "underground" baker/decorator...i'd be making a small fortune.

i do love making people happy, and when i was young my parents always said i hated being told what to do...and now i'm old, and i still do lol!

i love the selling part of it too....like when ya hit something "hot" that sells like hotcakes!...or the excitement of starting something new, that might "hit".

you gotta have a passion for the enterpener part of it, or you won't last...because it is very hard....my biz partner left me 4 years ago, and went to work as a decorator at another bakery, cause she couldn't take the stress....now she's as happy as a clam.

at the end of the day, i wouldn't wanna do anything else....it does suck that i've gained weight the first few years...

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #60 of 68

oooooooh! Great topic. I am printing it now so I can read it and no one will know I'm not doing my work! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%