Krispy Kreme

Decorating By 8Tracie8 Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm by CakesbyMonica

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 41

I'm going to give this another whirl........ anyone know of a recipe for a cake that tastes like Krispy Kreme donuts?? icon_biggrin.gif

40 replies
Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 41

The only thing with Krispy Kreme that I know of is Paula Deen's Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 41

That's a huge range of flavor there. Are you thinking of the classic raised donut or a cake donut?? They have a lot of choices icon_smile.gif

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 41

If one exists, it's one I've got to have! icon_surprised.gif ! I'll be watching this!! Anyone??

8Tracie8 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

That's a huge range of flavor there. Are you thinking of the classic raised donut or a cake donut?? They have a lot of choices icon_smile.gif

Their classic glazed donut.

kansaslaura Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 41

I know this isn't what you're after, but I googled and did find a Krispy Kreme Cake!
Different strokes, they say!! http://www.krispykreme.com.au/doughnuts/recipes/

kansaslaura Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 41

Been searching and thinking on this one! A lot of the flavor in the classic comes from the yeast and frying. Not sure how that could be duplicated in a cake. Got me thinking here! icon_confused.gif

8Tracie8 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 41

What do you think about making a french vanilla cake and when it comes out of the oven poke holes all around the cake and pour some sort of glaze over the top and then ice with regular buttercream when it's cooled? Think that would pass as a KK donut?

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 41

You could use a traditional yellow cake and make a thick glaze using lots of clear vanilla or coconut extract. I made a Krispy Kreme groom's cake, but it was just three tiered plates of stacked KK doughnuts. I tucked in some fresh strawberries and small white flowers here and there, and it looked really cute!

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 41

You can buy a copycat recipe for .79 cents from topsecretrecipes.com

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 41

ive been a a beker at a couple donut shops, most of them use a yeast donut mix that they just add water and yeast to. Very hard to replicate. i would day just use a recipe for yeast raised donuts, all donuts are fried, so youll have to have a fryer big ennough if you want a big one

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 41

I have a recipe for a Honey Bun cake if you want it. Its not a doughnut, but kind of close. Just let me know if you want it.

Lisa

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 41

Krispy Kreme went out of business here in AZ last year when I was 5 months pregnant and had CRAVINGS LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE! icon_cry.gif Is there still KK in any other states? Cuz if there is any still out there I just might have to get a plane ticket . . . . .

kellieschwabl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellieschwabl Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 41

Would love the recipe for the honey bun cake, would you please pass it on? Thank you so much!!

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #15 of 41

Krispy Kreme went out of business here in AZ last year when I was 5 months pregnant and had CRAVINGS LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE! icon_cry.gif Is there still KK in any other states? Cuz if there is any still out there I just might have to get a plane ticket . . . . .

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #16 of 41

Here is the recipe fpr Honey Bun Cake. Be sure to have a glass of milk handy. icon_wink.gif

Honey Bun Cake

1 yellow cake mix
2/3 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
8oz. cream cheese
1tsp. cinnammin
4cups powdred sugar
2tsp. vanilla

1st. Mix cake mix, oil,cream-cheese and eggs.

2nd. Pour 1/2 batter in greased pan.

3rd. Mix brown sugar and cinnammin, sprinkle on top of cake mixture.

Next- Pour remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 min.

While warm polk holes into cake( I use a straw).

Mix powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Pour all into the holes of the cake.

Then dig in. thumbs_up.gif

CakesbyMonica Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 41

Tyler Florence did a Food 911 Donut episode. He did a yeast donut (fluffy ones, used for filled donuts or your "normal" ones) and cake donuts. The recipes are on the food network site.

8Tracie8 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 10:11pm
post #18 of 41

Thanks for all of your replies!! Honey Bun cake sounds amazing!!

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:01am
post #19 of 41

Cassie1686: We still have Krispy Kremes in California, they still have the drive-thru stores in the SF Bay Area. Go online to their site - you could probably order some!

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:55am
post #20 of 41

We had a KK in our city but it was only open about a year. Delicious, yes, but I'm afraid that no doughnut shops around here can ever compete with Tim Horton's. Timmie's is just the best stuff around! (Best coffee anywhere!) We give directions based on the nearest Timmie's!

If there was a recipe for a KK doughnut, I'd love to try it.

kansaslaura, one of my favourite books (Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie) has KK as one of the ongoing themes - in the book, they made a KK cake for a wedding rehearsal dinner! I've always wondered what it would look like!

I do have a recipe for a buttermilk cake with cinnamon sugar topping that tastes like a cinnamon cake doughnut. I'll post it tomorrow if anyone is interested, or I can pm.

CakesbyMonica Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:16am
post #21 of 41

Not in San Diego. They closed the ones they brought in.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateandpeanutbutter

I do have a recipe for a buttermilk cake with cinnamon sugar topping that tastes like a cinnamon cake doughnut. I'll post it tomorrow if anyone is interested, or I can pm.

Please, please, please post this recipe!! It sounds YUMMY!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Cassie1686 ... there are still KK shops here in Ohio, and they also sell boxes of KK's at every grocery store around here. Would you like me to send you some? icon_biggrin.gif

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:12am
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

We had a KK in our city but it was only open about a year. Delicious, yes, but I'm afraid that no doughnut shops around here can ever compete with Tim Horton's. Timmie's is just the best stuff around! (Best coffee anywhere!) We give directions based on the nearest Timmie's

That is how I give directions too icon_lol.gif . And I agree with the best coffee everywhere, but you can't beat a Krispy Kreme doughnut. I was at the one in kitchener almost everyday, after I got my coffee from Tim Hortons of course. icon_lol.gif

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:13am
post #24 of 41

Sorry but the quote didn't work right. My message is the bottom paragraph.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:21am
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyMonica

Not in San Diego. They closed the ones they brought in.

Are you saying there are no more Krispy Kreme stores in San Diego? There was one in Chula Vista, and one in Clairemont... both of them are gone?!?

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:25am
post #26 of 41

Paula Deen's Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding sounds delish to me. I would love this recipe!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #27 of 41

KK's are still here in MN, a few closed but we still have them.

I am originally from Canada, and I aggree you cannot beat the Tim Horton's donuts. After reading this I am craving a T. H. Coffee with double double! Man, my MIL is coming to town to meet her youngest grandchild, I will be beggin for a large can of coffee!

chocolateandpeanutbutter I love that buttermilk cake recipe with cinnamon, it's amazing how much it taste like a cinnamon donut, a friend of mine shared it with me years ago. I love those old recipes.

Good luck

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:14am
post #28 of 41

I forgot to say that I LOVE Tim Hortons, too! They are all over the Columbus area!! They have the best iced coffee I've ever had, and their donuts are good, too. But I have to say that Krispy Kremes are the best donuts I've ever had, especially when they're still hot!!!!! They just melt in your mouth!!! thumbs_up.gif

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:27am
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1686

If you live in Tucson, there's a bakery by the name of LeCaves. I hate to say this but, it puts KK to shame.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:29am
post #30 of 41

They are fazing them out around here too." Orange County Ca." And I thought I was doing my part in keeping them OPEN! tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%