Goopy Frosting Under Fondant

Decorating By domestic_diva Updated 14 Jul 2007 , 6:07pm by domestic_diva

domestic_diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domestic_diva Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 13

Okay maybe I'm wierd or something but fondant seems to be
much more of my friend than frosting.

I haven't had very many problems with fondant, my cakes turn out just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

My only issues with fondant are that when I put the fondant over the
frosted cake, the frosting like goops out in this disgusting mess when I'm
smoothing the fondant it drives me LOCA!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif
It also prevents the fondant from being as crisp and flat as I would like.

Should I limit the amount of frosting I'm putting on the cake or should I roll the fondant out thinner? Or both?

The only reason I have been putting more than a crumb coat on of frosting is because I've heard from so many people how they don't like how fondant tastes so I wanted them to have the frosting underneath so that they will like how the cake tastes.

12 replies
mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 13

I use a little less buttercream than normal and I also make a stiffer buttercream which holds up better. I just either add a little extra sugar or less butter/shortening.

Courtney

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 13

you are putting on too much buttercream. if people don't like the taste, keep experimenting -fondant can be really delicious. and it definitely should be no more that 1/4" thick (I aim for 1/8" thick fondant)

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 13

I was taught to mix flavored vodkas in the fondant. The alcohol evaporates. I have been using raspberry. You don't really taste it but it is tastier. They say to put a crumb coat of BC which is a really thin layer. I've read that people put some sort of jam or other coatings on too. What I discovered recently, I don't trim the fondant that much until I have it as smooth as I can get it. The buttercream doesn't ooze out & make your fingers all messy.

domestic_diva Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 13

Would putting the frosted cake in the freezer help?
I haven't tried doing this yet.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 13

I always use a very generous layer of buttercream under fondant, because even though I use Satin Ice fondant - which tastes delish - some people just don't like fondant.

After icing the cake and smoothing it, I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes to set the icing hard. This gives me the ability to really work the fondant as much as I need to without the buttercream moving.

~ Sherri

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 13

I do the same as Sherri. Applying fondant to a chilled cake makes the job a lot easier.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:53am
post #8 of 13

I use a full coating of buttercream under my fondant - but you have to chill it before you add the fondant or it will do exactly as you are saying.

coconut299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coconut299 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #9 of 13

I'm not the original poster, but I just wanted to say thanks to those who answered. I've had the same problem!

I love this website. thumbs_up.gif

Coco

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 13

I use a full coat of buttercream, but I always chill the cake really well before covering with fondant.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 2:10am
post #11 of 13

I always cover the cake just like a buttercream cake - leave it in the fridge for several hours to let it crust nice - then I can put the fondant on - no problem! I've done the freezer for about 20 minutes as well!!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 2:18am
post #12 of 13

Depending on how much icing you're using underneath, it could be too much but I normally do like others have said and chill my cakes ALWAYS before applying the fondant. It gives you so much more working time with the fondant when the cake is chilled. I never do a crumb coat of icing 'cause I'm afraid someone won't like the fondant, though, I have had no complaints. Hope this helps....you have gotten the best advice from others to me...so good luck! thumbs_up.gif

domestic_diva Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 13

BTW girls....
with my last cake I used your advice to put the crumb coated cake into the freezer for a little bit before I put the fondant on.

Perfecto!!!!!!!

No goopy mess whatsoever : )

I also rolled the fondant much thinner than usual, which also seemed to help my cake have more crisp edges.

I love cake central! I don't know what I would do without it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%