How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By KaraN Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 10:13pm by eesmith

KaraN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraN Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 14

I'm doing a full sheet cake with whipped topping and fresh strawberry filling. I'm piping Curious George on the cake. this is my first full sheet, so please help with the price. All together it cost about $30 for everything I needed to buy to make it. Thanks

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 14

The at standard 3x mark-up it would be $90.

adjust for your area.

you may have to go as low as $60 (2x) -- but NO lower.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 14

what size are you considering a full sheet cake?
Is it one layer or two?

My serving size for a one layer cake is 2x2x2 and for the whipped topping fresh strawberries I would charge $2.25/serving only because strawberries are in season right now here.

Suzian3570 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzian3570 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with the $60.00 price. If you are using filling, I'm assuming you're doing at least a double layer full sheet cake. You're also adding decoration according to the customer's specifications. $60.00 is definitely not too much to charge for a custom ordered cake with those options! You may enjoy the hobby, but make sure you continue to enjoy the hobby by seeing some fruits for your efforts!

Suzian Cunningham
www.suzianscakes.com

Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:43am
post #5 of 14

Holy cow!! I charged $50 for a HALF sheet...2 layers 12 x 18 and filled with fresh strawberry filling. Did I charge too much?

I would think that for a FULL sheet, $80. to $90 in my humble opinion icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:00am
post #6 of 14

I charge $50 for a single layer 12x18 half sheet, NOT torted/filled.
Torting, filling, 2 layers, the price goes up and up...
My oven is not big enough for a full sheet, but if it was, I'd probably charge $90 or so for the single layer. And again, add more stuff, add more money... icon_surprised.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:01am
post #7 of 14

I charge $90 for my full sheets. But did we say...hmmmm FRESH strawberries?? And are you MAKING the whipped topping?? LOL LOL LOL icon_lol.gif Just joking around. I agree with Doug....but I definitely wouldn't go lower than $60. Do you deliver...'cause gas is HIGH here icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ange14843 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ange14843 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #8 of 14

Well I feel like a complete idiot then, cause I never know what to charge for cakes and just last weekend for a single layer 18x26 I only charged $25. I guess maybe that was a little low! icon_redface.gif I just started charging people for cakes about 6 months ago and I always feel bad like I'm charging them too much so I end up jipping myself. What do you people use for a guide on how much to charge?

mariafun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariafun Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:23am
post #9 of 14

I have never yet made a cake for money. I'm wondering if there is a place on CC with a simple guide? I so appreciate the wisdom & advice everyone shares!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:37am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les

Holy cow!! I charged $50 for a HALF sheet...2 layers 12 x 18 and filled with fresh strawberry filling. Did I charge too much?

I would think that for a FULL sheet, $80. to $90 in my humble opinion icon_smile.gif

My price for your 12x18 2 layer cake would have been $297 b/c for two layers my serving is 1x2x4 so a 12x18 serves 108. My price per serving would have been $2.75/serving so 108*2.75=$297

KaraN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraN Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 14

OK. Here's the finished product. I guess it turned out ok but I always see a lot of things wrong with my cakes. I did put a lot of work into it though so I'm satisfied. thumbs_up.gif
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:10am
post #12 of 14

mariafun: There is no simple guide. People on cc have such different price opinions on cakes. I'm one of the ones who charges on the low end. You know what I think? I think I wouldn't charge more than I would be willing to pay if I didn't have the talent to do it myself.

ange14843 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ange14843 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 14

Your cake looks very cute!

eesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eesmith Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:13pm
post #14 of 14

I charge for a full sheet cake with butter cream icing, 4 inches tall $120.
One mistake that decorators make, is theY feel guilty when they are charging, when you give a price, be sure so that way you won't sound undecided and then the customer will say no, you have to believe in your creativity.
I charge for buttercream icing cakes and whipp cream $2.50 per person and $3.50 for fondant, some people don't want to pay it is ok, is better that be in the kitchen for hours and you going to give a cake almost free.

Do research around your area, and go from them, my advise is to make terms for your business.

It will be nice is some cake decorators shop teach a class on this. But really you decided the price.
Ah and I charged $10 an hour

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%