Houseworks Not Done But I've Got Another Balloon Cake!

Decorating By katharry Updated 29 Aug 2006 , 11:34pm by vanz

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:30am
post #1 of 25

Following on from my continuing saga of the dreaded balloon cake. I took on board some of the feedback I got yesterday and have made the 3D version. I've used the mini ball pan as didn't want to end up with heaps of leftover cake.

What I'd like your feedback on is what version of the cake you like best, and what colours you prefer. The flat balloons I used Wilton colours, the 3d balloons I used my new Americolor colours. (remember it had to be a bunch of balloons and it had to be 5 balloons). Not too sure if i got the position of the 3d balloons right?

Anything else you want to add is fine by me too thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

24 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:32am
post #2 of 25

I like the shape of the 3d balloons, but the colors on the top p icture are more vibrant.

amyd026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyd026 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:37am
post #3 of 25

i love them both, but my fav is the first one how did you do it.

Amyd

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:44am
post #4 of 25

I like the 3D balloons, and the Wilton colors! Great job.

lilfoots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilfoots Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:51am
post #5 of 25

I agree... I like the first cake better. Have you thought about adding coordinating ribbons to the bottom 2 cakes to complete the effect?

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:51am
post #6 of 25

I like the 1st picture, though they both are great!

katharry Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:06am
post #7 of 25

Okay looks like it 50/50 so far but everyone likes the wilton colours..... Interesting as I'm kind of disappointed with the Americolor ones I just bought, they are all 'electric' colours too??

lilfoots you had the same idea as me about the ribbons, I just didn't want to waste them on a practice balloon. Hadn't thought about matching the ribbon to the colour of the balloon so thanks for that!

The flat cakes were achieved by cutting 5 separate cakes so they fitted together like a jigsaw (6)

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #8 of 25

i like both, but the top one is my favorite both in color and the overall look...great job by the way.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:23am
post #9 of 25

I like the first cake best, but I also agree that the ribbon would make it look complete! I think that part of the color diference is the lighting, but I enjoy the first pictures' colors best!

Stephanie

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:26am
post #10 of 25

I like the first one also icon_smile.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #11 of 25

I like the first one best also. I'll bet it takes a lot of time cutting those out like a puzzle! You did a great job on both!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 6:42am
post #12 of 25

I like the look of the first cake better..absolutely add the ribbons. Don't give up on the Americolors, their regular colors (not electric) are very vibrant and they beat Wilton hands down on the dark colors (black, red, royal blue etc).

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 6:49am
post #13 of 25

I love both of them, but I'd say I like the first a little more. I agree with Gingoodies ... don't give up on Americolors. I'm not a huge fan of their electric colors, but all of their other colors are fantastic!!! Great job on these cakes! I can't wait to see the finished cake with the ribbons!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

sthrasher1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sthrasher1 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:12am
post #14 of 25

I love the first one but the second one is so cute..I think it would be a cute idea to give if it were for a childs birthday party to give the birthday boy/girl there own little 3d ballon or give a single 3d ballon to all little guest while the bigger guest get to eat the larger cake. Love the colors on the first also. Great work on them both.

katharry Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:39am
post #15 of 25

Thanks for all the kind comments..... it's funny cause I sent both pictures to a girlfriend and offered the cake to her and her family for supper. Her favourite was the first cake too until she actually saw the 3d one and then said the 3d was much better!!!

I think I'll toss a coin!

Thank goodness for the comments about the americolor colours, was beginning to have buyers remorse... I bought 15 of them today, along with 8 lustre dusts, 6 edible glitters and oh my goodness she had tiny edible iridescent stars!!!!!! Had to have them all!

Well noone said this was a cheap hobby! icon_twisted.gif

mom_of2boyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of2boyz Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 10:13am
post #16 of 25

I too like the first a little better, and I really like sthrasher1's idea about giving the individual ones to the kids. I think they would get a kick out of that.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:24am
post #17 of 25

Hi, I think the first one is really cute... I like to copy it, if that's ok.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 12:10pm
post #18 of 25

I like the 3d one but the colors on the top cake are best.

katharry Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #19 of 25

Vanz if you didn't see my earlier post, to get then to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, cut out 5 rounds of paper (trace around the cake pan you use) position them as you will want them to sit and then mark what bits you need to cut out.

Believe me if Nefgaby hadn't suggested that to me I would have never got them to sit together the first go thumbs_up.gif

Have fun

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:38pm
post #20 of 25

i LOVE THE FIRST ONE GREAT JOB!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:47pm
post #21 of 25

I too like the first cake much better! Good job on both, but my choice is #1. icon_smile.gif

soxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soxxy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:47pm
post #22 of 25

I like both of them, but my favorite is the first one.

adams2shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adams2shop Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #23 of 25

I'm kind of jumping in late, but my vote is for the first one, too. I think I'd like the second group better if you used the purple instead of the orange for the top balloon and if it had a more overall circle shape rather than oval. Very cute cakes--great idea.

sthrasher1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sthrasher1 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks mom of2boyz. I know my kids would love that.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:34pm
post #25 of 25

thank u Katharry, I'll make sure I'll remember that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%