What Exactly Is A Sponge Cake?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 21 Jun 2005 , 9:40pm by kakesbyrobin

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 3

THis may be a stupid question, but what is a sponge cake like? Are the box mixes sponge cakes? I was recently at a party where they served a cake from an upscale spa/restaurant. It was definitely a scratch cake, but not dry in the least and well, kind of spongy. I'd love to have such a recipe. But not sure exactly what it was... I'm noticing lately as I've been experimenting with scratch recipes and doctored mixes that I notice a chemically taste on the mixes. Strange. I've always used mixes.

2 replies
missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 3

I have no idea about the box mixes as i dont use them.

A sponge cake basically consists of three ingrediants, sugar, flour and eggs. You beat the eggs and sugar together and then fold in the flour and bakeicon_smile.gif

It is incredibly light and airy and i LOVE it torted with strawberry Jam and real whipped cream as the filling and powdered sugar dusted in top.

It is such a delicate cake that simple fillings or toppings are the besticon_smile.gif

My mum used to make me a sponge cake for my birthday cake every year and it has something like 12 eggs in it!.. She would beat the eggs and sugar for about 20 mins then add the flour. She would then make pastry cream in vanilla and chocolate and fill it and used amaretto and coffee as the syrup to drizzle on the cake.. OK now my mouth is watering! lol..

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 3

I was making a chocolate roll-up cake,which is a sponge cake recipe.
The kitchen I was in at the time had no counter space and was kinda small and carpeted.I was trying to balance the pan that I was using while pouring the batter in,needless to say,the whole thing landed face down on the floor.lol
What a sticky mess.
I got ot all cleaned up and started over again.

That was 10 years ago,and I don't think I have made that cake since.lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%