American Cake Decorator Magazine

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 1:07am by practiceandpatience

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 31

Does anyone out there subscribe to this journal and if so, would oyu recommend it? My birthday will be coming up and I am thinking of asking for a subscription but don't want to waste the $ if it's not worth it.
I trust everyone's opinion here and would love to hear from you all.

30 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 31

I subscribed to it about a month ago, but haven't seen an issue yet. I hear it does take a while to get your first issue. (didn't take them long to put it on my CC, that is fer sure!)
I have never seen it in the newstands, so I am anxious to see my first issue!

So I am bumping this in hopes of someone else answering your question! icon_biggrin.gif

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 31

I'd love to know, also. And are there any other great cake decorating magazines out there?

Thanks, Suzanne

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 31

Good question so here's another bump

SharonZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonZ Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 31

I just bought some at a yard sale and they are fantastic. They have instructions to do a lot of things. I subscribed and am waiting to get the current magazine.
Sharon

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 31

I don't have a subscription but I remember reading other posts that it takes a LONG time to get your first issue. I don't recall for sure but, I think some people waited over 2 or 3 months for their first issue. icon_eek.gif But, people seem to like it once they get it. I've been thinking about putting it on my birthday wish list too.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:32am
post #7 of 31

I am a new subscriber to American Cake Decorating. I did a combination subscription to this and Mail Box News at a discounted price for the combo. It did take me 3 months to receive my first issue of American Cake Decorating, and I am still waiting for my first issue of Mail Box News to arrive. I would say just after viewing my first issue, It is well worth the price!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #8 of 31

I've subscribed for about 5 years, along with Mail Box News. I love both. I look forward to them like a Christmas gift. There is always something for my taste and style. And the pictures alone are worth the price.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #9 of 31

I love them both, I wish we had more cake decorating magazines icon_smile.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:22am
post #10 of 31

I enjoy it as well. It's a great resource.

Angie

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:23am
post #11 of 31

I've gotten both and enjoy both ACD and Mailbox News. To me if you get one you should get the other. icon_wink.gif They are both bi-monthly and come in alturnating months.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:53am
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to know, also. And are there any other great cake decorating magazines out there?

auntsushi,

I get a magazine called Cake Craft and Decoration its from the UK I get my newsagent to get it in for me and it is good. The thing that I like about it is it has step by step instructions with lots of photos on how to do things and there is usually lots of different styles of cakes (although its usually fondant no buttercream etc). I keep them and use as a reference when I need to do something I haven't done before. Their web address is below if anyone is interested.

http://www.cake-craft.com

Can anyone tell me with ACD Magazine does it focus mostly on buttercream or is there a mix of pics, info, articles etc on fondant as well as buttercream?

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:07am
post #13 of 31

There is also a website

http://www.expressmag.com/pages/scat.asp?IdScat=1357&PageIndex=1

This link has 3 different magazines from the UK. 2 of them are 42$ and the other is almost $100 for a year. But, may very well be worth it.

OZCAKE: If you go to americancakedecorating.com you can get both mailbox news and ACD for about $30 american dollars each for a year (6 issues each) icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:32am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcake

Can anyone tell me with ACD Magazine does it focus mostly on buttercream or is there a mix of pics, info, articles etc on fondant as well as buttercream?

ACD covers many different mediums. Buttercream as well as fondant, gumpaste, and they have even had articles on things like pastillage.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:39am
post #15 of 31

Sounds like I will have to check out ACD Magazine it sounds like good value.

With the ones from the UK the one that is around the $100 mark comes out monthly so you get 12 issues (that is the one I get) the $42 one comes out quarterly so you get 4 issues for that price, it is also a pretty good magazine I have come across it occasionally here but it is super expensive here almost $20(Aust) a copy icon_eek.gif . Magazines particularly on hobbies or specific fields are reasonably expensive here so the cake craft & decoration one I get whilst by no means cheap is not too bad compared some of the others I pay around $10(Aust) a copy (my husbands golf magazines are about $8 a copy, the wedding cake magazines targeted to Brides are around the $15 mark).

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:40am
post #16 of 31

I have subscribed to both ACD and MBN for a few years now, and I love them both. They are a little pricey, but I think they are well worth every penny. The pictures and How-To's are priceless. I would highly recommend subscribing to both publications. If I remember correctly, it did take several months before I received my first issue in my mailbox.

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:07pm
post #17 of 31

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it might be worth it. What is Mail Box News? I'venever heard of it. Knoew I could count on all of you for honest opinions.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #18 of 31

I subscribed also sending in a Moneyorder about 3 weeks ago.I phoned the other day to make sure they received the money and they did.The next issues are October/November so I guess I will receive it then.

cakesbyjess Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #19 of 31

Mailbox News is published by Grace McNamara, the same company that publishes ACD. It's mostly cake pictures that people have sent in ... very helpful! Here's the website: http://www.americancakedecorating.com/mbn/main.html

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:23pm
post #20 of 31

I get both magazines - it did take forever to get them but they are both great. The mailbox news is kind of like the galleries here so I won't renew that one, but the ACD is worth it! All types of icing and techniques. Easy to follow too. I got Chocolatier Magazine and it was terrible! All ads and 2 of the recipies I made were horrible - I didn't know there was any bad chocolate out there - but I found it!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:34pm
post #21 of 31

I've also subsrcibed to both MBN and ACD and just love it!!! I've received only one of each yet but I can't wait to receive other issues!! I think it's really worth it.
I actually learned about those while in here on CC. I was looking for a magazine that I could subscribe to and that would fullfiled my need as a decorator but not as expensive as the ones from the Uk which are great btw! But my aunt founds some at the recycling company she works at, they're not damaged or anything, but sometimes they're old issues, sometimes they're new! She's so nice. So she gives me : Cake and sugarcraft, Wedding sugarcraft, so I'm a spoiled niece and I admit it!!! icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:49pm
post #22 of 31

what a nice aunt, lucky you! I'm sure you'ld do the same for her if the situation were reversed.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:51pm
post #23 of 31

It take awhile to get that first issue because they are bi-monthly (does that mean every other month? They are every other month.) issues, and the mailing list has to go out early. But the people at the offices are great there, and if you call them, they will send you a magazine sometimes. Also, I like to order the back issues, and you don't have to wait on those, except the normal mailing time.

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #24 of 31

I subscribe to it. Yes its a great magazine but be very patient . It will take up to 3 months sometimes longer to receive your first issue than you get one every two months or so after that. There is another magazine that come out of the U.K that is wonderful but very pricey. Our price here in the states is $12.50 Its called Cake Craft and Decoration. You can order it online for I think $46.00 for 4 issues as it is a quartley magazine.Go to www.expressmag.com for orders to the U.S. and Canada Thanks Cheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 31

LukeRubyJoy of course I'd do the same for her!! icon_biggrin.gif We're going to see her next weekend, and she already said she has tons of magazines for me, for cakes, scrapbooking and other stuff!!! It's like Christmas each time I see her. I'm making her a "doll" made of had towels to hang in her bathroom. She's remodeling and needs new decorations icon_wink.gif

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:06pm
post #26 of 31

Correction!!! The magazine for $46.00 is Cake and Sugarcraft for 4 issues. The CAKE craft and Decorations is $98.00 a year for 12 issues. Both from the UK. Just go to www.expressmag.com and click on link for her on the left, then the cooking like, then scroll down to find the two magazines. Sorry about the error earlier! icon_redface.gifCheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

brownc78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownc78 Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:51pm
post #27 of 31

hello can someone tell me how to get a subcription for this cake magazine?????

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:58am
post #28 of 31

Are you talking about getting a subscription to American Cake Decorating and/or Mailbox News? If so, follow this link: http://www.americancakedecorating.com/category/American_Cake_Decorating_Subscriptions

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:31pm
post #29 of 31

cheapest rate i can find is 23.00 if you go through this link www.americancakedecorating.com/inmini/subscribe
it does take a long time (up to three months) to get first copy, but it is great! photos and step by step instructions, recipes, latest news on conventions, and it covers all genres of cake decorating.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:39pm
post #30 of 31

Has anyone received the Sept/Oct 2011 issue yet?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%