Desperately Need Help!! All Ideas Welcome!!!

Decorating By JLW2482 Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm by hcouso

JLW2482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLW2482 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:24am
post #1 of 20

I am extremely new at the whole cake decorating thing...in fact, I don't really know a whole lot, but I have to start somewhere. I desperately need all the advice I can get on my son's 1st birthday cake. I'm running out of time and I can't seem to figure it out. I want to make a cake with the Hugs & Stitches 1st birthday boy theme decorated on top, I've seen pictures of similar cakes so I know that it can be done. Here's a picture of what I want on top of the cake http://www.partypiggy.co.uk/acatalog/hugs_stitches_boy_plate_sml.jpg it's small, but I am sure you can all get the idea. I really really really want this to work out as I have all the decorations in this theme already, so any hints, tips, ideas, ANY AT ALL, please let me know ASAP!!! And I mean ANY tips, from what kind of cake to use to what kind of icing to what size, what shape....

I don't even know where to begin...

19 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:28am
post #2 of 20

Welcome to cake central. For you cake, any cake will work for the cake itself.

for the decorations, there are a couple options. One would be a frozen buttercream transfer FBCT. There is a description and tutorial in the articles section

A second option would be to do this on a fondant plaque, separate from the cake, and place it on top of the cake for display and serving. The decorations can be made from royal icing or color flow(a Wilton product)

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:39am
post #3 of 20

i would also suggest the fbct... it will look the best.. you could try this with fondant and kinda make the shapes and put them together... or if u have a local bakery u can go to you can ask them to print you and edible image and use that..
failing all of the above... i would just do the cake in the colour sceme
good luck

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:39am
post #4 of 20

You might want to try to have it printed as an edible image. That way could do a round cake with buttercream icing and place the edible image on the top. Then all you would have to do is a simple border around it. It would be simple and look great too.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:44am
post #5 of 20

First of all - welcome, welcome to Cake Central. This is definitely the place to find answers and inspiration for anything pertain to cakes and cookies.

For your Cake: I would make a French Vanilla Box Cake with strawberry or cherry pie filling in the center, a chocolate cake or one layer of each. Children love anything red so the strawberry or cherry would be very appealing to them.

Then I would go to your local market that has a bakery and have them make an edible transfer of that picture you like and then transfer it to the center of your cake.

I would then purchase some Wilton tube icing in colors in red and blue and a tip #1 or #2 and pipe around the edges of each design and the outside of the entire border by attaching the tip to the tub of icing. (You'll need a tip coupler for that - it's the white 2-piece plastic coupler used to interchange tips on icing bags).

Add a small little bead type (ball type border) around the bottom of the cake using the tube icing in any color you want.

Add a large birthday candle and your done.

Please post your picture for all of us to enjoy when you're done. And remember to have FUN!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:44am
post #6 of 20

I have two hugs n stitches cakes in my photos, but for girls...one is a sheet cake with the designs drawn in buttercream and the other is a tiered cake that coordinates.... not sure if either of them will be of help.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:46am
post #7 of 20

I did a search and someone on CC has made the same cake you are wanting to make icon_smile.gif Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=63723

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #8 of 20

I've done this cake. I used buttercream and an airbrush for the base colors. I copied the image to make it bigger. What I did was cut out the images and once the base was crusted and dried, I imprinted (?) it...you know, pressed it down just to get the shapes and went from there. There's a picture of it in my photos if you want to take a look.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #9 of 20

If you have cookie cutters...small star, teddy bear, #1, balloon....cutout shapes in fondant in colors shown.

You could make a stacked 8 and 6, one iced in golden yellow, one in red or royal, use the shapes to decorate the tiers. Depending on how soon you need the cake, you could even wire some of them to project from the top.

Alickert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alickert Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #10 of 20

If you search the galleries using the words "first birthday", you will get a ton of hugs and stitches cakes to come up. Most of them are for girls, but you can change the colors, and some other things and make it match the boy version. Some are simple and quick! Good luck!

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:49am
post #11 of 20

Welcome to CC and your new addiction. icon_biggrin.gif

Regarding type of cake and filling, it all depends on your taste. Do you want chocolate cake, white cake, yellow cake? Filling could be anything from cookies and cream to rasberry mousse. The possibilites are almost endless.

You might want to check with a local grocery store or maybe Walmart. They can print an edible image for you. If you bring in your image, they will print it out and you can put it directly on top of your icing. I did a FBCT for my first cake ever and it was easy.

The number of people of you want to feed would determine your size of cake.

Here is the link to the FBCT the pp was talking about....
http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

Here is a link for serving sizes...
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules/Forums/files/cake_serving_guide_219.pdf

HTH!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:02am
post #12 of 20

Welcome to CC! You will love it here! It is addictive!
(There is no 12 step program for this particular addiction, but you'll be fine...we'll take care of you when you get too high on cake/frosting fumes) icon_wink.gif

I made a teddy bear and smash cake with that pattern a few years ago.
Here is a link to the cakes on my site:

http://sugarfrosted.com/albums/child/normal_1054-teddybear%26teddysmash%281055%29.jpg

Sorry the photo is soft, it was a scanned pic, before I went digital...

JLW2482 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:02am
post #13 of 20

WOW...thanks so much for all the ideas!!!! I'm still pretty unsure about it, but I'm going to give it a go anyways. Does anyone know how the edible transfers work??? can i get them made as the outline only and then fill the patterns in myself?? I am hoping to use boxed cake, as I have very little time to do it from scratch, but was wondering if there are any suggestions on what type. My son's dad has requested that it be chocolate...and that's as far as we've gone with the decision on what type of cake. I really appreciate everyone's responses and welcome and other ideas anyone may have.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLW2482 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:21am
post #15 of 20

yeah, a lot of people have told me DH as well, guess they weren't lying.

anyone know if it's okay to pre-bake the cake and freeze it for a week? my son's party isn't until the 14th but I want to bake the cake this weekend so it's done and ready to go next week when I go to ice it. Is this a good idea??? Or do frozen cakes go soggy?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:23am
post #16 of 20

well wrapped (double or triple plastic and then foil) cake will be fine for a week

I and many others routinely freeze cake before decorating

IMHO -- makes it easier to work w/ (firmer) and tastes better too!

just be sure to thaw fully wrapped so no condensation problems.

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:44am
post #17 of 20

hi- i am new to the whole cake decorating scene and i am having a great time. i have learned so much from this site- i am sure that whatever you do will make your son happy, so dont make yourself crazy !! just enjoy what you are doing and when he sees his cake and gets the biggest grin ..... the cake on his face will be all that matters!!!

JLW2482 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:38am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

Please post your picture for all of us to enjoy when you're done. And remember to have FUN!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, well, I finished the cake. My son's birthday party was today and everyone loved it. So I guess that tells me something. I have pictures in my photos if you all want to check it out. icon_smile.gif Thanks again for all the great tips and ideas.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:00am
post #19 of 20

You did a beautiful job!

Congratulations! icon_biggrin.gif

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 20

That looks GREAT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%